DWI Duke

jts1207

Memes posted are not fact checked for accuracy

Duke freshman Paolo Banchero and Michael Savarino, the grandson of Blue Devils coach Mike Krzyzewski, face charges following a driving while impaired arrest over the weekend, according to the Raleigh News & Observer.

Court records indicate Savarin was arrested for DWI while Banchero is charged with aiding and abetting DWI. The N.C. Highway Patrol made the arrests in Orange County, per the newspaper. A conviction of aiding and abetting DWI is punished as a Level 5 DWI in North Carolina and could include a fine and up to two months in jail

fatmike91

Flats Noob
Wow. I guess the NC Highway Patrolman must have been a tar heel fan...

/

18in32

Petard Hoister

Duke freshman Paolo Banchero and Michael Savarino, the grandson of Blue Devils coach Mike Krzyzewski, face charges following a driving while impaired arrest over the weekend, according to the Raleigh News & Observer.

Court records indicate Savarin was arrested for DWI while Banchero is charged with aiding and abetting DWI. The N.C. Highway Patrol made the arrests in Orange County, per the newspaper. A conviction of aiding and abetting DWI is punished as a Level 5 DWI in North Carolina and could include a fine and up to two months in jail
"aiding and abetting DWI"? WTF? Never heard of such a thing. Sounds like they pissed off the cop. I don't think that one's going to hold up when the lawyers get involved.

jts1207

"aiding and abetting DWI"? WTF? Never heard of such a thing. Sounds like they pissed off the cop. I don't think that one's going to hold up when the lawyers get involved.
I’ve heard of it in TN not sure about NC. If you’re both drunk in a car you both get DUIs in TN

jts1207

Dang that's crazy. I would like to know more about that.

Any passengers who have agreed to let that person drive will be given the exact same DUI charges through Tennessee’s DUI By Consent law. For example, if a passenger and an intoxicated driver are both given their first DUI charge, they may face at least 48 hours of jail time, their licenses revoked, fined, the installation of an Ignition Interlock Device, and more.

A person does not even have to be present in the vehicle to be charged with DUI By Consent. This provision of the law is strict enough that a Greeneville, Tenn. resident loaned his car to his brother so that his brother could get to and from work. However, when his brother was charged with a DUI, the owner of the vehicle received the charge as well.

jts1207

DUI by Consent in TN

Aiding and Abetting DUI in NC

TechRush

Dodd-Like
A person does not even have to be present in the vehicle to be charged with DUI By Consent. This provision of the law is strict enough that a Greeneville, Tenn. resident loaned his car to his brother so that his brother could get to and from work. However, when his brother was charged with a DUI, the owner of the vehicle received the charge as well.
This is why you should think twice about loaning your car to others or purchasing a car for someone else and it is registered in your name as owner.

18in32

Petard Hoister

Any passengers who have agreed to let that person drive will be given the exact same DUI charges through Tennessee’s DUI By Consent law. For example, if a passenger and an intoxicated driver are both given their first DUI charge, they may face at least 48 hours of jail time, their licenses revoked, fined, the installation of an Ignition Interlock Device, and more.

Interesting. This bears further research. Thanks –

1982Jacket

Helluva Engineer
If someone loans their vehicle to someone who they know is drunk, I can see an argument for charging them. But "MADD is politically powerful" is the only explanation I can see for charging a passenger.

Vespidie

The Juice has Soured.
Bet he’d think it was real “ticky tacky” if the stupid öööö were in an accident with his family member causing injuries after blowing a .08, which is legally intoxicated.

jts1207

If someone loans their vehicle to someone who they know is drunk, I can see an argument for charging them. But "MADD is politically powerful" is the only explanation I can see for charging a passenger.
Seems like multiple state laws disagree with you…..shocker

RussianOffense

ROLL TIDE
Dang that's crazy. I would like to know more about that.
What, you don't breathalyze all your passengers before entry into your vehicle?

Seriously though, I don't see how that works for Uber drivers. I think there are states too where the driver of a car is responsible if a passenger has a gun or drugs in the car.

Anyway these aren't their star players right?

Beej1953

Varsity Lurker

You know they’re both going to get off with a slap on the wrist. Coach K will take care of his grandson, just like he got his daughter a job there.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
This is why you should think twice about loaning your car to others or purchasing a car for someone else and it is registered in your name as owner.
Absolutely. You can also be sued for injuries or damage caused in a collision. This why you should transfer vehicles driven by your children as soon as they turn 18.

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
Savarino is off the team right now - pending DWI outcome and how student judiciary deals with things. Banchero is still with the team as Coach K says his charge of abetting is different.

Turns out Banchero’s car was a sweet ride registered to a Roxboro company that provides celebrity rides for customers. Duke says this is all a legitimate NIL form of remuneration.

I would hate to be Coach K’s grandson at the Thanksgiving meal. Grandpa can’t be too happy about him messing up his last year of coaching.

GT7378

Varsity Lurker
Pass the potatoes, Pops.... need some base for the imbibement that is to come!