Expectations for next year

aeromech

Dodd-Like
What are your expectations for next year? We are transitioning from Paul Johnson's Option Offense to whatever Geoff Collins Offensive coordinator decides to install; but the first year will be about creating an offense for the players you have, not the players you want. You get Benson back, you no doubt have a better quarterback, an experienced TE, plenty of skill position players. We will probably get out manned in 3-4 games; but I am confident Ralph Friedgen could put together a potent offense with what is there, so should whoever our OC ends up being.. Add a DC who can coach a mediocre defense and we should be a bowl eligible team. It will be a big job to do during transition; but going 8-5 in the ACC Coastal with a couple of FCS games thrown in isn't some impossible goal.

So here is my expectation for next year:

8-5 with a top 30 recruiting class is the goal, anything above that is outstanding.
6-7 is the base with a top 40 recruiting class, with a likely bowl game in Shreveport or some place. Anything below that will be a disappointment.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
What are your expectations for next year? We are transitioning from Paul Johnson's Option Offense to whatever Geoff Collins Offensive coordinator decides to install; but the first year will be about creating an offense for the players you have, not the players you want. You get Benson back, you no doubt have a better quarterback, an experienced TE, plenty of skill position players. We will probably get out manned in 3-4 games; but I am confident Ralph Friedgen could put together a potent offense with what is there, so should whoever our OC ends up being.. Add a DC who can coach a mediocre defense and we should be a bowl eligible team. It will be a big job to do during transition; but going 8-5 in the ACC Coastal with a couple of FCS games thrown in isn't some impossible goal.

8-5 with a top 30 recruiting class is the goal, anything above that is outstanding.
6-7 is the base with a top 40 recruiting class, with a likely bowl game in Shreveport or some place. Anything below that will be a disappointment.
A bowl or better is gravy. Period.

thwg

Damn Good Rat

OOC we play one FCS.

Temple will be top 25-30. USF will be top 40-50. UGA will be top 2.

If we can go 4-4 and 2-2 it would be a great season.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
A bowl or better is gravy. Period.
This. I’m not sure why we would expect CGC to come in and coach a roster that is set up for option football and in year one exceed the last result of the option guru who built that roster. We are not going to get significantly better until we get some size and skill on the o line and not a bunch of undersized option torpedos like we have now.

southendzoneBEE

Gailey-Like
How about this-

Win the games you are supposed to win. If that ends up being 5-7 or 9-3.

BainbridgeJacket

F*** Joe Biden
I think we'll be somewhere between 4 and 7 wins. I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed by anything in that range.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
Very hard year to predict. I could see us going pro-style and struggling every game to produce offense on the way to 3-9. I could see us going spread and taking advantage of a weak Coastal to get to 9-3. Or anything in between. Would be helpful to know the rest of the staff. Transfers both in and out could also have a big effect.

sthorfinnr

We The Vanguard Stockholders
2-2 OOC. 3-5 ACC with wins over Duke, Pitt and UNC (sorry, not a believer in Mack redux). 5-7 overall. Got to get acclimated to the new system, and bring in the personnel fits.

EDIT: 15-0 Hype train too. Aeromech ain't gonna break my stride.

Last edited:

Jacketfan1

Varsity Lurker
Why does the ACC wait so long to announce the schedules? Im pretty sure every other conference has their schedules set out, just time hasnt been announced.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
OOC we play one FCS.

Temple will be top 25-30. USF will be top 40-50. UGA will be top 2.

If we can go 4-4 and 2-2 it would be a great season.
Rumor is that Temple is getting a new coach, you expect them to be top 30; but GT to struggle to win 6 games? Come on dude at least give our players some credit.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
Very hard year to predict. I could see us going pro-style and struggling every game to produce offense on the way to 3-9. I could see us going spread and taking advantage of a weak Coastal to get to 9-3. Or anything in between. Would be helpful to know the rest of the staff. Transfers both in and out could also have a big effect.
"Spread" and "pro style" aren't mutually exclusive schemes, certainly not in today's football.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
This. I’m not sure why we would expect CGC to come in and coach a roster that is set up for option football and in year one exceed the last result of the option guru who built that roster. We are not going to get significantly better until we get some size and skill on the o line and not a bunch of undersized option torpedos like we have now.
I think CGC can do better because he will be much better at motivating the players than the 2018 version of Paul Johnson was. We should have a better QB and a better RB than CPJ had this year. I have far more confidence in our players than you do apparently.

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
"Spread" and "pro style" aren't mutually exclusive schemes, certainly not in today's football.
Yep. There’s even one team that looked dead in the water and then won several games in a row running a lot of Option concepts. Imagine that.