F$U blaming subpar recruiting on board negativity..........

I think it is due to their performance on the field and the coaching changes they have had. Amato and Richt leaving was a BIG deal there. That's how important assistant coaches are and can be.

That is all true, but Bobby Bowden's age is the REAL reason. It will continue to slide until he finally retires.
BOO

KEWL! The handwriting's on the wall.

F$U dynasty -->
behead.gif

There is a difference between a nameless voice creating a website against a coach (a site that has become as much of a joke for it comedy as anything), and CONSTANTLY bashing coaches and the program and the AD and the players, etc, etc. People think that there's no way kids will read this stuff. Kids today are different than kids used to be. If you want to know about a team, you look on the internet, and soon enough you'll learn about message boards. Of course, you're only 18 so you haven't realized message boards are to be taken with a grain of salt, so they seem like they really represent the fans of the school. Do you as a player want to deal with fan treatment similar to that on a message board?

I'm not saying all recruits will see message boards, or will care, but it can give a certain perception of the school and its fans. Ian Yates-Cunningham actually mentioned UVA's message board in his decision and explaination about why he chose UVA. Did Tech's boards hurt the cause? I don't know, but it just points out that they DO SEE IT.

(Then again, really this brings us back to the subject of board respect, and whether control has been lost on both StingTalk and the Hive. Some days, it's just disgusting to read them for all the depressing drivel on there. Whether it's true or not, some people use Tech sports as a recreational activity, and want it to be fun and enjoyable, not grim and depressing, as though we must change the program, one post at a time.)

Originally posted by BuzzNazz:
There is a difference between a nameless voice creating a website against a coach (a site that has become as much of a joke for it comedy as anything), and CONSTANTLY bashing coaches and the program and the AD and the players, etc, etc. People think that there's no way kids will read this stuff. Kids today are different than kids used to be. If you want to know about a team, you look on the internet, and soon enough you'll learn about message boards. Of course, you're only 18 so you haven't realized message boards are to be taken with a grain of salt, so they seem like they really represent the fans of the school. Do you as a player want to deal with fan treatment similar to that on a message board?

I'm not saying all recruits will see message boards, or will care, but it can give a certain perception of the school and its fans. Ian Yates-Cunningham actually mentioned UVA's message board in his decision and explanation about why he chose UVA. Did Tech's boards hurt the cause? I don't know, but it just points out that they DO SEE IT.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree BuzzNazz,

The critical comments posted on Tech boards will hurt recruiting as compared to boards with only positive posts.

If a kid is being recruited and sees only positive posts, he might conclude the program is running smoothly and the fans are pleased with the results. However, if the lack of critical posts is artificially derived because fans or not allowed to say anything negative then the recruit might get the wrong impression on how the fans feel about the state of the program. Wouldn’t this scenario be misleading; perhaps creating a false image of the support the program has which just isn’t true, leading kids to sign a letter of intent that they may regret later when its too late? As you noted, these are just 18 year old kids and we shouldn’t try to pull the wool over their eyes.

Which comes first? Better results, less criticism or less criticism better results?

I personally think the comments here are neither good or bad but merely reflective of how the fans feel about the job that was done last season. The better we play next season, the less criticism there will be.

I predict this place will turn into a Woodstock Love-In if we go “12 and 0”.
blue.gif
blue.gif
blue.gif
pat.gif
blue.gif

Originally posted by 71Bee:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by BuzzNazz:

I'm not saying all recruits will see message boards, or will care, but it can give a certain perception of the school and its fans. Ian Yates-Cunningham actually mentioned UVA's message board in his decision and explanation about why he chose UVA. Did Tech's boards hurt the cause? I don't know, but it just points out that they DO SEE IT.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree BuzzNazz,

The critical comments posted on Tech boards will hurt recruiting as compared to boards with only positive posts.

If a kid is being recruited and sees only positive posts, he might conclude the program is running smoothly and the fans are pleased with the results. However, if the lack of critical posts is artificially derived because fans or not allowed to say anything negative then the recruit might get the wrong impression on how the fans feel about the state of the program. Wouldn’t this scenario be misleading; perhaps creating a false image of the support the program has which just isn’t true, leading kids to sign a letter of intent that they may regret later when its too late? As you noted, these are just 18 year old kids and we shouldn’t try to pull the wool over their eyes.

Which comes first? Better results, less criticism or less criticism better results?

I personally think the comments here are neither good or bad but merely reflective of how the fans feel about the job that was done last season. The better we play next season, the less criticism there will be.

I predict this place will turn into a Woodstock Love-In if we go “12 and 0”.
blue.gif
blue.gif
blue.gif
pat.gif
blue.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">71Bee...
Could not agree more.

Someone posted a thread last year about the reasons recruits either chose a school or turned down other schools. It gave the reasons and percentages. These were actual tabulated results from a poll of recruits.

There was not even the slightest mention by these recruits of one opinion by any person on any board. In other words, the boards and their posters were not even a fly in the ointment.

As should be expected, it was all about how the player got along with the coaches, the facilities, winning programs, chances of playing early, chances of playing in bowls, exposure to the pro scouts, closeness to home, preference of city or rural life, etc.

I think these young kids understand the disappointment fans have over seasons at various schools and factor those sentiments in just as we would. Apparently, according to the poll, the remarks on the boards amounts to zero.

rolleyes.gif

Back