Football Scoop: New RB coach

Mike Daniels, currently at Buffalo.

So, we add a guy who was coaching high school a few months ago and another who was an assistant for a 2-10 Tulane team? That tells me nobody sees a future on Collins' staff at Tech. But, I don't blame these guys for taking advantage of our awful situation, and I wish them well. Still, I don't think that these changes are going to make things better for us. We lost the best coach we had. Stansbury should be ashamed. Putting a dirty band aid on a broken neck is medical malpractice, and taking a lot of money to do it is fraud.

RBI till
So, we add a guy who was coaching high school a few months ago and another who was an assistant for a 2-10 Tulane team? That tells me nobody sees a future on Collins' staff at Tech. But, I don't blame these guys for taking advantage of our awful situation, and I wish them well. Still, I don't think that these changes are going to make things better for us. We lost the best coach we had. Stansbury should be ashamed. Putting a dirty band aid on a broken neck is medical malpractice, and taking a lot of money to do it is fraud.
We broke the bank on Chip and Brent. We have no DC. You'll take your RB coach and you'll like it!

From Buffalo's website:

No stranger to the UB football program, Mike Daniels was hired as running backs coach and recruiting coordinator by Coach Linguist prior to the 2021 season - his second stint with the Bulls after also serving as UB's running backs coach in 2010. He returns to Buffalo following brief stints at Akron and Army.

From 2017-2020, Daniels was the head coach of his alma mater Princeton High School in Cincinnati, OH.

How in the world does Akron and Army fit into that timeline? What happened there?

Edit: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sp...n-army-akron-buffalo-three-months/5089461001/

This article explains it. 3 schools in 3 months.

Who knows if he'll still be at GT in January.

From Buffalo's website:

How in the world does Akron and Army fit into that timeline? What happened there?

February: Army Director of on-campus Recruiting
March-April: Akron RB coach
May-Present: Buffalo RB coach and Recruiting Coordinator

Has ties to GA: RB coach at Statesboro HS from 2011-2013. WR coach at Kennesaw St from 2014-2016

Could also open up the Midwest for us.

Last edited:
There is a time to complain and there is a time to let a new coach prove his worth.

So if you can shut the öööö up long enough for the rest of us to evaluate the new guy, we would be much obliged. Let me know if you need a dirty sweat sock to shove in your mouth while the adults decide if the new guy is a keeper.

Yeah, I don't know I can call this an "impressive overhaul" of the staff, until I see them doing something this fall. So far, I'm not particularly overwhelmed by any of the hires.
But the guys who got turfed needed it. Though it shouldn't have stopped with those three.

Not really sure what people were expecting from a running backs coach. Those types of hires aren't generally household names. They move up the ranks from places like Buffalo (or North Texas). The only reason we knew who the last one was is because he played here.

cool. Good for this guy. Been around a lot of programs so he should have some positive experience to draw from.

Anything else that coaches want to accomplish in their careers is greatly enhanced by winning. Culture, destination jobs, etc., are all okay as long as your staff understands how to get there. At least, the newly hired coaches seem to understand this. It's not as important how long they stay, as it is what they do. For proof of this, just look at the most successful program.

We have had a lot of investment in graduating players. The NIL and transfer portal situation, caused by the NCAA itself, has made this obsolete for the non-factory programs. The NCAA has pushed progress toward graduation, instead of actual graduation. The NCAA on-field rules changes have even favored forcing schools to go to NFL schemes. Bottom line, the NCAA has forced their members into minor league football. The model of one-year scholarships, and a high turnover of ambitious assistants is the one that the NCAA favors. That is the reason that it works.

The total person concept, and the get old, stay old concept, have to take into account the instability that the NCAA has forced onto it's members. You can do anything you want, as long as you understand that it's one year at a time. Loyalty has been made an unaffordable luxury by the NCAA.

So, if anyone is upset that fans are ready to flush both coaches and players, then they need to take it up with the root cause, the college presidents. They created the environment. Pardon the people who donate heavily. Pardon the people who buy tickets Pardon the people who foot the bills if they want to participate in the fun.

This forum is often criticized for its volatile rhetoric. Welcome to the world that has been transitioned to by the NCAA. Gentlemen, start your engines.

If we get positive results out of this hodgepodge of random öööö being thrown into this barrel...it will be the equivalent of the creation of earth, the divine version.
I'll bet you are just a riot at parties.

Nobody we’re going to hire is going to replace Choice because he was one of the top, if not the best, RB coach in the NCAA as a total package. Add that to the fact we’re losing Mason & Gibbs, both NFL caliber RBs.The new guy has Smith and Griffin, so the cupboard is definitely not bare. He’s gonna get his shot to show us what he can do & we’ll probably see the impact more on the recruiting front than we will be able to see on the field.

Yeah, I don't know I can call this an "impressive overhaul" of the staff, until I see them doing something this fall. So far, I'm not particularly overwhelmed by any of the hires.
But the guys who got turfed needed it. Though it shouldn't have stopped with those three.

I wasn't expecting big names to come on board to be Collins staff; but I did want competent. I think he is adding some competent coaches. We really need to show progress, and hopefully the recruiting plus some competent coaching will result in 6-7 wins. Once we get back to mediocrity we can make staff adjustments and hopefully the job looks more appealling.

Back