For Our SEC Friends on the Board....(Non-Tech)

GTg8r

Varsity Lurker
Spurring a little more general tackle football Conversation:

Another gators' opinion

Right on. In fact I saw a great post awhile back that compared UGA with Vandy. In terms of history, records, and accomplishments, they're very similar if you take away one man, Hershel Walker. I'd like to find that post again.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Any of you "Old Gold" agree with that sentiment.
I would say the difference is Vince Dooley going 19-6 vs. Tech

Not to usurp anyone else's entitlement to respond to this but this is completely out of left field.
You might as well assert that UGAg and Vandy are synonymous. Bad attempt at humor, I guess. $100,000 question - when was the last time Vanderbilt won the SEC? Contended?
pat.gif

Vandy has stunk it up pretty bad since the 30's. I don't think you can compare them to UGA, even without Vince.

Until the 90's, Florida was closer to Vandy than Georgia. As a matter of fact, based on all-time records, they still are. No offense to you, GTGator.

In all seriousness, it's too bad that Vandy doesn't compete at a higher level in football. Some may disagree, but I think they could do quite well for themselves if they loosened up their admissions for athletes. I'd love to see them spank UT once in a while.

Dooley's 80-82 teams woulda been great even without Herschel. They had a great 10-1-1 Cotton Bowl team in 1983 after Herschel left.

Georgia was also damn good in the mid-late 60's and in the mid-late 70's.

It was the Erk Russell defenses and the offensive lines that made them so good. Not that Herschel was not outstanding, but many backs would have done well behind UGA's O-line.

They very much missed Erk Russell when he left for Georgia Southern (I think in 1983 or 84?).

I'd love to see them spank UT once in a while.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">If you ever read Vandymania, they'd love to spank
YewTee as well.
I really just wanted to broaden the topics some.
I can't completely disagree VD did an amazing job at the U[sic]Ga.
UF on the other hand was a bumbling sleeping giant. I'd say it took them until the 60's to reach the level UGA had reached by the 40's.
That's based on the reading I've done over the years.

BTW the VD years also established U[sic]Ga's monstrous series lead on Florida.
Apparently Dooley didn't know how to lose a close game.

Originally posted by GTg8r:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif"> I'd love to see them spank UT once in a while.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">If you ever read Vandymania, they'd love to spank
YewTee as well.
I really just wanted to broaden the topics some.
I can't completely disagree VD did an amazing job at the U[sic]Ga.
UF on the other hand was a bumbling sleeping giant. I'd say it took them until the 60's to reach the level UGA had reached by the 40's.
That's based on the reading I've done over the years.

BTW the VD years also established U[sic]Ga's monstrous series lead on Florida.
Apparently Dooley didn't know how to lose a close game.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Florida wasn't really that good until Charlie Pell came to Gainesville. Ditto for FSU and Coach Bowden. The Georgia schools (UGA and GT) used to rain supreme over the Sunshine State. Things have certainly changed.

Golden Tornado, I agree with your assessment of Erk Russell being the edge in Georgia's winning seasons. He was a fierce competitor and coached his defensive players the same way.

bigthumbup.gif

I think we have to admit that UGA is a top 20 all time program.
Vandy, on the other hand....They're still waiting on the reincarnation of Whit Taylor.

Naw, beesnut, you just provoke that kind of response occasionally. And you have to remember, the pain of a football season isn't fresh in our minds right now. We have had a while to forget how bad we are, and with a new coach, we just take our visions of grandeur that much further. On a more serious note, I do think we will give you all a better game than you are expecting, especially if you guys come out cocky. I am not predicting a VU win, or even a single digit-point loss. I do however, think it will be more difficult than the majority of you think.

I agree VU - I think Vandy will give us all we want and then some....

Vandy reminds me a lot of Tech under Curry.
Always ripe to upset someone...
Especially early in the year when depth isn't as much of a factor (ie, injuries that occur in the course of the season)...

Plus both teams with new coaches, will probably be a little out of sync, maybe some turnovers - could be very unpredictable

I don't predict a blow-out at all, and I'll be happy for a 1 point win
bigthumbup.gif

Back