For Woods, Why it's not Carol Moore

gtnineteen

Varsity Lurker
For Woods, Why it\'s not Carol Moore

Anyone else wondering why this only happened in football. Last time I checked Dr. Moore delt with all SA's, not just football. I don't see Coach Hewitt's guys in trouble. Want to know why? Because he DISCIPLINES them for not going to class!

Re: For Woods, Why it\'s not Carol Moore

you are right on the money. blaming and name calling against Dr. Moore proves you know nothing about who she is or what she does.

Hey Fish, I'm glad to hear someone else isn't looking for a magical "scape goat" to make them feel better about our current football situation!

A tennis player is in the same boat!!

Wow, one whole SA from the list of 15 sports minus football. I would have to say our other coaches are doing just fine with the discipline of their respective team.

Becareful what you say, what you don't know can hurt you.
wink.gif
The main thing that I am saying is that football went from having three advisors at the end of June to having none designated until October with the load spread around the existing staff.

The fact that they were short staffed isn't Moore's fault. Besides, I know for a fact that things went on just as in the past during the fall.
Tutoring was made available

Scheduling advisement went on as usual. (remember nearly every SA in football is in MGT and they generally take the same classes, so even though you have 85 of them it's not as hard as you would first think to advise them in scheduling)

And attendance or should I say lack there of was taken in their classes AND REPORTED to the staff!

I don't doubt that not having the same number of staff didn't help the matter, however it still boils down to how the COACH handles his students not going to class or studying the way they should. THE ACADEMIC STAFF CAN ONLY REPORT, NOT DISCIPLINE.

I guarantee if Chan had ran them "within an inch of their life" as O'Leary,and Ross would have done this would have never happened happen!

So you are saying Chan is at fault and if he is then he must go!! To me someone should have overseen the attendance. Whoever failed in this endeaver must also go! I still think dr. moore is responsible to a degree!!!

I have a number of friends still in school and I spoke with a few of them who are MGR's on the team. They told me that attendance WAS taken for football players.

I can't say for sure that it was reported,(I/nor no one I know handed CG attendance figures) but don't you think Chan would want that information? What coach in his right mind wouldn't ask for attendance numbers of kids he knows are struggling academically? (remember this has to be an ongoing thing over atleast 2 semesters)

With that said it would be ridiculous to believe that Chan was oblivious to the academic problems with this team.

Like I said before the Academic Staff can only do so much. At some point its up to the coach to "lay the hammer down"

What's being said is that GT has a bunch of football players too dumb to go to class, too dumb to use available assistance, and in need of a baby-sitter. I say if you want to pull for a school whose players are that dumb and spoiled, pick one! There are dozens!

If she is not at fault I would expect a comment and not a no comment after all this talk!!!

Belly Series,
I don't think it's "dumbness" or "lazyness" It has more to do with the fact that many of these guys have to give 110% to make it academically at Tech. You see tons of regular students flunk out of Tech each and every semester. Most of those students don't have near the time constraints the football team (or any other SA) have. With that said they "need" extra motivation to do what needs to be done to stay eligible.

It really discourages me to see the number of Tech fans ready to come down on these SA's as being lazy or dumb (not pointing a finger at you Bellyseries, I don't think that is what you meant). I doubt any of these "fans" have any clue as to what it takes to be a major D-1 athlete

If it is true that there were NO advisors during a certain period of time, then the HC does not have a clue as to what it takes to succeed at GT. This football coach is out in left field, and, to DB, you made a boo-boo.

Carole Moore is NOT an advisor. She is the director of academic support services. As such, she oversees the entire program. Each sport has its own advisor/s that report not only to CM but also to the HC.

Originally posted by gtnineteen:
Belly Series,
I don't think it's "dumbness" or "lazyness" It has more to do with the fact that many of these guys have to give 110% to make it academically at Tech. You see tons of regular students flunk out of Tech each and every semester. Most of those students don't have near the time constraints the football team (or any other SA) have. With that said they "need" extra motivation to do what needs to be done to stay eligible.

It really discourages me to see the number of Tech fans ready to come down on these SA's as being lazy or dumb (not pointing a finger at you Bellyseries, I don't think that is what you meant). I doubt any of these "fans" have any clue as to what it takes to be a major D-1 athlete
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You're right; it isn't what I meant. I too am tired of fans talking about GT athletes as if they are animals who have to be guided through chutes so that we can win a tee-teeing contest with UGA. They are GT students! They have an opportunity to get a degree from a highly prestigious institution! We're blaming a football coach if they don't go to class? Ridiculous!

And she TOTALLY GOOFED! I blame her more than anyone else!

well I am going to make a comment that will piss a lot of you off royally, but I DON'T SEE HOW SOMEONE SHOULD FLUNK OUT OF MANAGEMENT. I mean come on, we're not talking about EE or ChE here. All these guys gotta do is show up and try.

With all due respect ramblinwise1m it depends on what courses. If you are pretty good at liberal arts types of courses then some of the Mgt curriculum is fairly easy (at least I thought so), but if you are taking stats, finance, etc., it's not so easy. Maybe not EE but it's not cake either.

Back