Forgive me, I have been away for a week....

techsamillion

Flats Noob
and I am not abreast of evolvements over the past 7 or 8 days, so I may say something stupid. All those who have never said something stupid, please feel free to call me stupid or some similar label......But: Yes, I am still a FOC. Am I happy? No. If changes do not take place soon, will I remain a FOC? No. If we do not have a mighty jam-up recruiting season will I remain a FOC, no, because then the tracks are buttered and the train is out of control and ain't going to stop.
One of my major problems is the lack of communicaton between AA, Coach Chan and public/fans.
I am reminded that former Alabma Coach Fran, had a website and contantly was in touch with the fans who were interested and they were kept in touch with what was going on at all times. Dang it, it has been proven that being secretive, or deceiful about moves/decisions is no advantage to the program (IMHO) but I will guaranDa_ _tee you that if you include your fans they are going to be appreciative and much more involved and they will back you. Secrecy breeds suspicion. Secrecy is alright if you are undefeated, anything is okay then. But when there is stumble after stumble and questionable acton after action...and the fans remain in the dark.....there is a set up for distrust, dislike, and eventual revolution.
As dumb as some of you are, you can offer some pretty good cotton-pickin advice from time to time, and that word ought to be considered. We can see the trees as well as the forrest.
I want to us to be informed about what measures are being considered to make us a top notch program, and I want to know why this won't, or this will work. The ideal is to have particpants for fans, not mere spectators. I am weary of the dark.
Additionally, I think top notch people out to be brought into this program immediately to recruit and to coach. I think Chan should share some of his money to a money chest that will ensure that we can have some of the highest paid, most efficent assistant in the country. I would begin with the strength and conditioning department and go from there. I would find out who the top three in the nation are and I would get one of the three. There is nothing that cannot be purchased. Iwould generally settle for nothing but number 1 in stength conditioning and coaching assistants.
Hate to use such an old cliche, but "The future is now?" Do I seek Tech to be a football factory:
Yes. Do I seek academics to remain the number one corresponding emphasis. Yes. It is time for a number of people who have kept this program at a stage of mediocrity to "get in, get out, or get run over"........because it is time for us to have a perrenial top 5 or 10 team. "Mama don't allow no Trash 'round her". And Mama don't get what Mama don't allow." If we wear pink helments, the opponent should in fear. It the helments were polka-dot, it ought to be the same. Georgia Tech should be one of the teams that causes others to cringe in fear when they meet this ruthless bunch.
Sorry....."blow off steam time". Now don't trouble me with any idealistic putrid platitudes about this institution falling in acadmic stature,
etc. This is a public institution and does not belong to any group of self-appointed individuals just because hey are Tech grads, or super Tech givers. The present philosphy is producing chaos and dismay. Let's get everybody on the same page and let's begin to play excellent football or let's quit trying to play fooball. Count the cost, make your plans and work your plans...and win!!!

Agree with "some changes need to be made" comments. However, the other night, someone who is thought to be rather close to program said he did not think any changes will be coming. Needless to say, my heart sank. IIRC, it was in Hive chatroom.

Tecksmillion:

"If we do not have a mighty jam-up recruiting season will I remain a FOC, no, because then the tracks are buttered and the train is out of control and ain't going to stop."

I hear ya, but unless there is a complete recruiting meltdown, pretty hard to tell how good a recruiting year it is until a few years have passed and the kids have had a chance to play up/down to their evaluations. Even the so-called experts blow these evaluations more often than not.

Gee, hope this doesn't sound like I'm defending Gailey...
wink.gif

By which schools actually offered ships not just interest then you can pretty well know what you have coming in. If Ga, Aub, Fl.,Fsu., Miami, Texas, Penn St., Tennesee, Al., and the like actually offering ships then you've got something. If its colleges like Vandy, Duke, Memphis St, Furman, Central Fl. doing the offering then you're in big time trouble. There may be 2 or 3 sleepers but that should be the max. Thats the truth,the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help me!

Originally posted by techsamillion:

As dumb as some of you are, you can offer some pretty good cotton-pickin advice from time to time...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">techsamillion, I challenge you to point to one piece of cotton-pickin (or pea-pickin, or tater-hoein) good advice I have ever offered on this board.

Actually the website idea is a very good one, I agree.

BizzyBee, if it was Greg Garrett, take it with a grain of salt. He is the smoke screen for the AA. His job is to smooth things over. He has been wrong on many occasions.

wink.gif

Thanks belly...that challenge is not all that difficult to answer, but I am whipped tonight and I sure am not up to even a minor search.......but as you often do: you gave me a "belly---laugh". I needed that. One day I sure want to meet you, but we'll have to avoid political discussions. Unless you want to share some stories about the Late, Great Dick Russell.

Thanks again.
Thanks to other who commented.

ahso, u r so right about his being so wrong at times. However, that night he was very negative and even mentioned something about having to drop down eventually to Div. 11 or whatever the next one down is. I wish I could remember more, but it was discussed intensely on main board that night after chat. Some kept saying very loudly what you did about being wrong most of the time.

Weren't you with us in chat last yr. when coach search was going on and he led us to a wild goose chase? He kept saying DB was spotted at airport going to Chicago, etc., etc. We all were hanging on his last word. That he had very strong evidence "huge" hire was coming, "big name", we would all be excited. We spent the whole night guessing. Do you remember? Many thought Beamer, and he would never say. He had about 20 people shooting questions at him rapid fire. It was sorta entertaining cause, at that time, we were all up tight and feeling gloom and doom. I will have to remember what you said.
pat.gif

I'm still a newcomer to Winder (just got here 21 years ago), so I dont have any first hand stories about the Senator. I have the impression that he was rather aloof, though. The state benefitted greatly from his career in the Senate, but Barrow County has no Air Force bases or huge recreational lakes etc. I've wondered why in a town with Broad Street and Center Street and Athens Street and other nondescript names as major thoroughfares, there is no Russell Boulevard.

The Russell Library at UGA is an interesting stop on campus.

Back