Freshmen

GTFish

Varsity Lurker
Ive heard that of the incoming freshmen who are already on campus things are going good. heard they looked good in the weight room and all throughout their workouts and exercises. also heard everyone was busting butt in classes and especially tutoring.

i know who you are talking about, and it sounds wonderful. dont think the other is laying low though. im pretty sure they are working on a lot of things together. seems like these freshmen understand what kind of opportunity they now have.

FOUR HOURS A DAY! WOW! TWO questions:

1/Is this QB already enrolled in school as well?

2/Relatively speaking, how much time is USUALLY spent by GOOD QBs on film per day???

THANKS!!

I think the freshmen who are here enroll through OMED. I think it is a program for some of these kids to get used to life at tech. You take classes, but only for the experience and not for grades. I would say 4 hours is more than average for a QB to watch film, but i guess it just depends on the player and the system he is learning.

GTFish, thanks for the info. Sounds good.

Yes, THANKS MUCH GTFish. Good info to say the least!

Anyone else know how much a GOOD QB typically spends per day studying film in the offseason??

THANKS again GTFish!

Not a problem. I will try to find out some more info as to the progress of these kids before freshmen camp starts. All I can give you really is what the players think of them, but I guess that matters a lot since they are the ones who must fuel each other. All I can say is that from several players these freshmen seem to be impressing most people. Who knows maybe they will inspire the team to look past all these problems and work hard not for themselves but for the reputation of this team.

Originally posted by GTFish:
Not a problem. I will try to find out some more info as to the progress of these kids before freshmen camp starts. All I can give you really is what the players think of them, but I guess that matters a lot since they are the ones who must fuel each other. All I can say is that from several players these freshmen seem to be impressing most people. Who knows maybe they will inspire the team to look past all these problems and work hard not for themselves but for the reputation of this team.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">sounds like you're an insider. what is the morale of the returning lettermen like? are they excited about the coming season?

Well I havent spoken to enough of the players to get a whole team consensus, but from the ones I have talked with it is basically this: We lost some starters already but that is just the way the cookie crumbles. It was very unfortunate, but if you cant take the responsibility to take care of class work then how do we know you will take responsibility to get the job done on the field. Believe it or not a persons character reflects in everything they do. I know the defense is jacked up and ready to take on our tough schedule. The big teams we play give them more of an opportunity to shine. The seniors this year are really looking for ways they can spark this team and end their career here on a good note. Excellent leaders in this years senior class. Im always optimistic and im sure these kids dont want to tell me bad things, but im positive the ones ive talked too cant wait to bust heads in the fall. I get pumped up listening to them. If they can get the "chemistry" in this team between all players (look for starters from every year) together, we may have a few upsets up our sleeves.

Originally posted by GTFish:
Well I havent spoken to enough of the players to get a whole team consensus, but from the ones I have talked with it is basically this: We lost some starters already but that is just the way the cookie crumbles. It was very unfortunate, but if you cant take the responsibility to take care of class work then how do we know you will take responsibility to get the job done on the field. Believe it or not a persons character reflects in everything they do. I know the defense is jacked up and ready to take on our tough schedule. The big teams we play give them more of an opportunity to shine. The seniors this year are really looking for ways they can spark this team and end their career here on a good note. Excellent leaders in this years senior class. Im always optimistic and im sure these kids dont want to tell me bad things, but im positive the ones ive talked too cant wait to bust heads in the fall. I get pumped up listening to them. If they can get the "chemistry" in this team between all players (look for starters from every year) together, we may have a few upsets up our sleeves.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">awesome. thanks for taking the time. what do the players think about the coaching? the coaches have to put them in a position to shine.

i know the defense has to be jacked up. gathers and smith will be back. the loss of hargrove hurts.

so the players feel that the guys that flunked out should have been responsible for their class work? that is a great attitude ... but i hope that whatever broke can be fixed.

the way i see it, beat all the 4 bacca road teams, beat vandy and clemson .. and that is at least 6 wins. nc state will be the toughest followed by clemson. both are at our place though. WFU and duke are away .. then UNC is at home .. then vandy away.

from the remaining 6 .. we need to go to byu and start the season off on a winning note. extremely difficult. don't know if we can pull it off. will find out august 28th .. i hope we can, i believe we can .. but i don't know if we can.

7 wins .. if everything falls into place. from the remaining 5, squeak out 1 .. maybe 2 .. hell 3. who knows.

Exactly. Here is what im hoping for: First game against BYU, I hope we can have a solid game out of the men we expect solid games from (Dorsey, Smith, Key, etc.) I believe the thing that could spark our season would be if we could have a few ? players (freshmen?) play huge in that game as we roll on to victory. A solid running game from PJ, Grant or whoever coupled with an air attack from our QB (whoever it may be) and some wideouts would set the tone for a possible good season. We will see mistakes but if we put up some offense we will quickly gain confidence, because we know our D will put them back on the field quickly. Hopefully the O and D can feed off each others energy. Thats what all great teams do.

THANK YOU GTFish for ALL your input on this thread. I certainly hope you are right about all this.

If all you say is true then two things APPEAR to be true:

1/Our incoming freshman class is ALOT better than most think.

2/We're gonna have some great leadership and chemistry on the field this year and THAT could bode for a surprisingly good season.

Of course this all remains to be seen, but with less than two months til two a days, it sure is encouraging!

THANKS!!!

and another reason for optimism. is it just me or, have we not ALWAYS played better as underdogs than favorites?

Originally posted by huntnbee:
and another reason for optimism. is it just me or, have we not ALWAYS played better as underdogs than favorites?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">------------------------------------------

I can say that for the 40+ years I have been a Tech fan, we have most definitely played better as the underdogs - a weird thing IMO that I'll never figure out....And the reverse seems true as well....

GTfish thanks for the information!!!!!! I think the nay sayers was starting to get to me but this changes everything.

Back when I first came on this board I recalled a quote from Coach Dodd that "GT had to be careful about reading its press clippings after an upset win as an underdog and blowing a game they were supposed to win!"

Would it be an anomalous aberration to have everything fall into place and have a good year this year only to have'04 go downhill!

drinking.gif
drinking.gif

Back