From Tekman: Remember the days when:

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
• Bobby Dodd was criticized for so-called “Dodd ball” that won tons of games but wasn’t “exciting enough” for some pundits.

• Winning coach Bud Carson was dismissed for reasons unknown.

• Tech alumnus Pepper Rogers was censured because he didn’t fit the “Tech image” although he had some big wins while practicing on and playing in some of the worst facilities in the nation.

• Bill Curry was roundly chastised for “movin’ on up”, even though he was a Tech alumnus who beat UGAG and has loved and supported Tech to this day.

• Bobby Ross was nearly ridden out of town on a rail during his first two disastrous years that were followed by a long win streak and a national championship.

• Bobby Cremins took Tech from basketball obscurity to an ACC championship in four short years, yet was critiqued as a coach who could not coach.

• George O’Leary was talked about because of his pumped up résumé rather than for rebuilding a wounded program while orchestrating a string of bowl appearances and the most consecutive victories against UGAG since the days of Dodd.

• Chan Gailey was denigrated in his first year while whipping some very good teams with the remnants of a squad decimated and demoralized by numerous key injuries while still finishing with a respectable seven win season.

Georgia Tech is an outstanding institution that has much to offer on and off the playing field. However, though Tech gives much, it also demands much. That is the Tech tradition that has affected all of us alumni and has driven us to be both successful and demanding in the business world. I am proud of that trait as you should be also.

But I am even more proud of being a compassionate person, and I have great compassion for CG, PH and DB. More than that, I am grateful they are working tirelessly to further improve an athletic program that is better now than at anytime in Tech’s proud history. Superior academics aside, Tech is a relatively small, big-city downtown university of only five colleges – dominated by engineering – that competes head-on with a large state university and a host of professional sports. I know of no other university of similar characteristics that can boast of the quality athletic program we enjoy.

Pray we never win every game at every sport or become all that we might desire. Then what will we dream about? What are your thoughts?

Ace your post borders on being almost poignant;you brought up some very good points. Thanx for the comments!

drinking.gif
drinking.gif

Very nice copy and paste from the Hive, GTACE. That was definately worth bringing over here! Super post from Tekman on the Hive!

It's hard to believe that Bobby Dodd was criticized, but he was. At one time the criticosm became so strident that Coach Dodd departed from his normal practice of playing his young players after a game was secure but rather chose to leave
his top players in until the last few minutes when we were playing a very good Army team and after Tech had run over army 45-7 I believe the score was, Dodd then apologized to the press by saying "I hope they are satisfied that we embarrassed a very good Army team". Dodd was a winner and you could see good coaching by the way his players executed and played the game, but Dodd was also a gentleman.

Good one, Buck! Coach Dodd defined TECH. He's the greatest Techman that ever lived. Heisman begat Alexander and Alexander begat Bobby Dodd.
What a tradition and what a history!

Tech people/fans are unique ... we ARE NOT bandwagon people. We are all here for the LOVE of this institution and then the sports that are attached to it! I gravitated to supporting Tech sports programs because of it uniqueness in a very demanding academic curriculum. I find a great deal of pride in knowing that I have attached myself to this, and more pride in the athletes and coaches who choose to do the same.

I appreciate coaches in any sport that come here and do well ... it's as demanding for them as it is everyone else involved. Tech demands the best students, athletes, coaches and fans. As much as we are sometimes hindered by our curriculum and academic standards, I've always felt a sense of pride because for what this school espouses, develops and ultimately places into society.

You can't be a fan of this school without feeling and knowing what it offers on a grander scale to those who attend, graduate and move on to being successful professionals. Having not attended I even find it easy to understand and see.
smile.gif

Back