funny post from an Aurburn board

nathogt

Varsity Lurker
Maybe in '79, when the GT freshmen came out of the stands, chased Aubie down, and ripped off his tail.

Some say Coach Pepper Rogers incited that mini riot. I don't know about that, but the memory of poor, old Aubie trying to outrun those a couple hundred Tech students in those huge feet is clear.

this au-gt memory has always stuck with me.

does anyone remember sometime in the 80's when the gt fans/students were chunking frisbies at our band when they were on the field? they were going crazy when they'd actually hit somebody. i was 10 or 12 yrs old when this happened, and at the time it bothered me. how dare they attack our band.
WRECH TECH and WDE!!!
Let's score some damn points!!!

I got a chuckle out of it. GT students do love throwing stuff.

man, I hadn't thought about that in years but I do recall being in the lower East stands with a flask of Bourbon deLux (bought at Green's Liquor Store on Ponce) and we were all inciting the rats with the cheer "Rats get some tail". They still had the bleachers on the track and the damn freshman started climbing the fence and chasing that silly Tiger around the field.The Tiger ran into the pack of AU players warming up and one of their players forearmed one of the rats and knocked him on his a$$. Nowadays, that would have made the news and people would have been sued. Man, I miss those big rivalry games with AU,Bama,UT,etc - guess I am showing my age.

Originally posted by nathogt:
Maybe in '79, when the GT freshmen came out of the stands, chased Aubie down, and ripped off his tail.

Some say Coach Pepper Rogers incited that mini riot. I don't know about that, but the memory of poor, old Aubie trying to outrun those a couple hundred Tech students in those huge feet is clear.

this au-gt memory has always stuck with me.

does anyone remember sometime in the 80's when the gt fans/students were chunking frisbies at our band when they were on the field? they were going crazy when they'd actually hit somebody. i was 10 or 12 yrs old when this happened, and at the time it bothered me. how dare they attack our band.
WRECH TECH and WDE!!!
Let's score some damn points!!!

I got a chuckle out of it. GT students do love throwing stuff.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Was sitting in the West stands during the Tiger tail incident. Looked like a riot. Fastest a Tiger has ever run. Caught up to him down in the southeast end, if I remember correctly. Funny to think about it now, but I bet he wasn't having a good time.

I was one of many inebriated Rats on the chase that day. It was incited by the Upperclassmen chants of "Rats get the tail!" IIRC some punches were thrown between AU cheerleaders and Rats. The Rats got the tail and it could be seen after the game hanging from the window of one of the dorms on Techwood just outside the stadium. This episode marked the beginning of the end of "Rats on the Field" to bring out the team. BTW, those bleachers seats on the track were a lot of fun but about all you see see were the backs of the opposing team. The bleachers were close enough to heckle the bad guys and hit them with assorted articles; dog biscuits, etc.

I've never been a fan of mascots parading in front of the other team's students. I guess they get what they deserve if a riot breaks out.

Aubie came in front of the GT students in the 1980 game in Auburn with an exaggerated bandage on his tail, along with his typical giant can of bug spray and fly swatter. As he was swinging his tail, I recall one of the GT cheerleaders pointing Aubie to go in the other direction.

The frisbees coming from the student section (in 1981 or '83?) was funny, especially seeing some guys carry an armful into the gate. Sitting just ahead of the overhang of the upper east between where the GT band and flashcard sections were, the frisbees at that Auburn game looked like a squadron of UFO's coming down from above. One of my high school friends at AU had a roommate who played in their band. He said they weren't expecting the frisbees, and some band members did get whacked on the back or side of their heads, and those who were turning to face the east had a big surprise coming right toward their faces. Other than a couple of bumps and some offended band parents, their band members seemed to take it well at the time--at least my friend's roomie did. I do recall a big stink about an Auburn band member having his/her hat yanked as they left the stadium...reminds me of the Maryland game a couple of years ago.

When Duke played at GT in 1980, their Blue Devil came to prance in front of us Rats. When the students behind us started chanting, "Rats get the tail", he ended up holding his tail between his legs and making an obscene gesture with it.

I was just reminded of the 1994 or '96 game at Climpsun. A GT band drummer jumped out of the band's front row and fought with one of the Climpsun tigers mascots who kept harrassing Buzz and Tech students in the front rows. I think that mascot got what he deserved.

Back