Ga Tech versus #10 USC 12/18 4pm

johncu

Dodd-Like
I agree with you for the most part. I don't think this is a rebuild year either....I just think the folks that believe our team, while earning the ACC Championship, were in a spot to warrant a rebuild are nuts. The team was decent...but we caught a huge break and otherwise would've been in the NIT. We're a .500 team....with a .500 coach and have been a .500 at best team for over 2 decades.

Change my mind.
We were 17-9 just last season and won an ACC championship. I don’t think that makes Pastner immune to heat during a down year, but I also don’t think it’s fair to call him a .500 coach. I think he’s shown that he is very good at getting the most out of his players - he just hasn’t had much to work with. He just brought in the best recruiting class he’s signed so far, so I think “rebuilding” is a pretty accurate descriptor.

Wylie76

Varsity Lurker
We were 17-9 just last season and won an ACC championship. I don’t think that makes Pastner immune to heat during a down year, but I also don’t think it’s fair to call him a .500 coach. I think he’s shown that he is very good at getting the most out of his players - he just hasn’t had much to work with. He just brought in the best recruiting class he’s signed so far, so I think “rebuilding” is a pretty accurate descriptor.
We were 17-9 in a short season. Also in a weak conference last yr.
We didn’t have anything to rebuild. We lost 2 players. One no one knew of til last yr

jts1207

Memes posted are not fact checked for accuracy
We didn’t have anything to rebuild. We lost 2 players. One no one knew of til last yr
Where have you been all my life?

Wylie76

Varsity Lurker
I just don't understand sometimes? I grew up on hardwood and goalposts.... It doesn't take John Wooden to understand that regardless of some cute Championship Tshirts that we even won by default......we weren't that good....and we've got a 6'5 Tony Akins that shoots every time he gets his hands on it. We have a big man that plays like he's placing a baby bird back in it's nest.... we turn the ball over like crazy....still play no defense which we haven't done. Some are too stupid to realize that only giving up 50 in a game doesn't mean you played good defense....it probably means you were controlled by the other squad.

I guess I'm the only one who's missing something on 98% of these threads

Wylie76

Varsity Lurker
And further more....I give Alvarado more credit for last year than Pastner. And let's face it ... Reveno probably played more in the development of Wright but I'll give Pastner props if it was his Diamond in the Rough

RussianOffense

Tabbed as one of the elite posters of Stingtalk
And further more....I give Alvarado more credit for last year than Pastner. And let's face it ... Reveno probably played more in the development of Wright but I'll give Pastner props if it was his Diamond in the Rough
So Pastner deserves no credit for recruiting Alvarado out of New York or hiring Reveno out of Oregon. Got it

johncu

Dodd-Like
So you’re saying we were well above .500 despite not having a ton of talent? Sounds like the coach must have done a good job.

Wylie76

Varsity Lurker
So you’re saying we were well above .500 despite not having a ton of talent? Sounds like the coach must have done a good job.
I'm saying we were blessed to play in an extremely weak ACC ... covid restrictions...you name it. We got lucky. If you think that team was an ACC Championship caliber squad...I'm saying you're sorely mistaken

Yes, he recruited him and had a good assistant.....How's that working for the football squad. Yeah, I'm done

Vespidie

Dodd-Like
Agreed.
I'll repeat what I've stated before and say that there shouldn't be any such thing as a "rebuild" for a P5 basketball program if they want to be considered a good program...PERIOD. It takes 1 really good recruit per year with an above average supporting cast to be a successful program year after year. If you're lucky enough to keep your really good players while adding to the mix, then youre able to compete for championships on a consistent basis. The idea that we've not been able to do this for one reason or another is absolute nonsense being in the ACC as well as Atlanta. You've either got to have great players and average coaching, or average players with great coaching for any chance at being decent. If you have greatness everywhere, then there are no excuses.