Game 5 - Monday 7pm - Charleston Southern at GT

CoachTech

Varsity Lurker
CSo shot the lights out (bad defense helped too) but our offense was too efficient for them to take the lead. We seemed to play much more under control on the offensive end. Maybe this game without Devoe will causeKyle S to play more confident.

Beej1953

Varsity Lurker
Sweet. Great game from an under the weather Usher and Smith. Congrats young men. Very good team effort.
Biggest thing I saw was the nice effort by Sturdivant - he’s been almost invisible so far this year. Hopefully tonight was a sign he’s ready to pick things up some.

pianoman

Varsity Lurker
CSU isn’t awful, have a couple shooters like Chavez, played decent defense.
Thought Saba had a nice game, Smith, Kelly, Sturdivant of course. Plus Howard - two solid big men coming along.
We have a bunch of guys ready to shoot, 9 players getting significant minutes, at least for now.
The refs couldn’t decide between basketball or rugby…
We out rebounded again, although missed block outs at times.
Usher was obviously really sick, incredible toughness. Hope we’re healthy Friday.

Beej1953

Varsity Lurker
CSU isn’t awful, have a couple shooters like Chavez, played decent defense.
Thought Saba had a nice game, Smith, Kelly, Sturdivant of course. Plus Howard - two solid big men coming along.
We have a bunch of guys ready to shoot, 9 players getting significant minutes, at least for now.
The refs couldn’t decide between basketball or rugby…
We out rebounded again, although missed block outs at times.
Usher was obviously really sick, incredible toughness. Hope we’re healthy Friday.
Both Usher and Smith were questionable with flu-like symptoms, until right before game time. Usher was fantastic, Smith played well - could have easily been a loss if they were both out in addition to Devoe.

BuzzinWreck78

Flats Noob
Good experience for team with Devoe out. I'm enjoying Howard's progress.
" Making Howard’s performance more impressive was the fact he picked up his fourth foul with 16:58 left in the game and played the rest of the way. " Usher will be All ACC at come level.Congrats to Sturdivant for stepping up.
Post-game pressers at link
Didn't see it posted elsewhere . Devoe was named ACC POTW last week.

18in32

Petard Hoister
I am sitting this one out.

Fantastic feature of the GT season tickets is that if you don't go to a game, you can exchange them for additional tickets to other games.
Holy cow I did not know that. I will definitely take advantage of that.

18in32

Petard Hoister
I was at the game and very surprised at just how few people were present. That was a very empty auditorium. My takeaways for anyone who cares...

Although the lead was whittled down to 6 a couple of times in the 2d half, I honestly never felt like this game was in doubt. I don't think the players ever played 'panicky' or let CSU's occasional spurts of offense get under their skin.

Reveno continues to work his magic: Saba actually looked like he knew what he was doing out there. Obvs the opponent was physically outmatched and he has a long way to go, but it was encouraging to see him play as well as he did.

Credit to CSU, they made some very tough shots, including a number of 3's that kept them in the game at key moments. But I did notice several moments when we seemed to lose our defensive steam. Usher is a major spark plug and was playing 'floor general' out there on both ends of the court. We need folks like Deebo and Miles to grow up fast, because Usher can't be out there yelling at people for 40 minutes.

I was a little concerned about our offensive sets. Seems like the high post wasn't working (even though I thought Saba did a better job of ball handling than I expected, only once that I recall did he put it on the floor unwisely), and our backdoor cuts were not crisp and not getting open. On several occasions we ended up in the time-running-out one-on-one who's-more-athletic situation, and fortunately our guys were more athletic – but we can't rely on Usher making tough shots to get us out of bad offensive sets.

We gotta get better at penetrating and dishing (I'm looking at you Deivon), as well as playing with our back to the basket (I'm looking at you Rodney). And I'm not sure what's happened with Khalid – he's a bit of a liability on the offensive end of the court when it comes to shot selection, ball handling and overall decision-making. That said, he's still high energy and brings a lot of movement and intensity on the defensive end.

Bottom line, we jumped out to an early lead against an obviously over-matched opponent. As the game dragged into the doldrums the little guys made a run, but we consistently 'turned it back on' and pulled away, time and again. I'm encouraged by the play of the new comers (especially Deebo), the seniors provide the expected leadership, and the big men are developing well.

I don't know how good the rest of the ACC is, but we should be a tough out for anybody and can hopefully make some good noise in Feb and Mar.

coit

Smarter than Diseqc
I was at the game and very surprised at just how few people were present. That was a very empty auditorium. My takeaways for anyone who cares...

Although the lead was whittled down to 6 a couple of times in the 2d half, I honestly never felt like this game was in doubt. I don't think the players ever played 'panicky' or let CSU's occasional spurts of offense get under their skin.

Reveno continues to work his magic: Saba actually looked like he knew what he was doing out there. Obvs the opponent was physically outmatched and he has a long way to go, but it was encouraging to see him play as well as he did.

Credit to CSU, they made some very tough shots, including a number of 3's that kept them in the game at key moments. But I did notice several moments when we seemed to lose our defensive steam. Usher is a major spark plug and was playing 'floor general' out there on both ends of the court. We need folks like Deebo and Miles to grow up fast, because Usher can't be out there yelling at people for 40 minutes.

I was a little concerned about our offensive sets. Seems like the high post wasn't working (even though I thought Saba did a better job of ball handling than I expected, only once that I recall did he put it on the floor unwisely), and our backdoor cuts were not crisp and not getting open. On several occasions we ended up in the time-running-out one-on-one who's-more-athletic situation, and fortunately our guys were more athletic – but we can't rely on Usher making tough shots to get us out of bad offensive sets.

We gotta get better at penetrating and dishing (I'm looking at you Deivon), as well as playing with our back to the basket (I'm looking at you Rodney). And I'm not sure what's happened with Khalid – he's a bit of a liability on the offensive end of the court when it comes to shot selection, ball handling and overall decision-making. That said, he's still high energy and brings a lot of movement and intensity on the defensive end.

Bottom line, we jumped out to an early lead against an obviously over-matched opponent. As the game dragged into the doldrums the little guys made a run, but we consistently 'turned it back on' and pulled away, time and again. I'm encouraged by the play of the new comers (especially Deebo), the seniors provide the expected leadership, and the big men are developing well.

I don't know how good the rest of the ACC is, but we should be a tough out for anybody and can hopefully make some good noise in Feb and Mar.
I agree with you that Saba has got some talent and a really nice shooting touch. But he is so dang slow. Slow on defense. Slow with his offensive movements. Slow running up and down the court.

I don’t see any way that he can be competitive against league opponents. But hopefully I’m wrong.

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
I agree with you that Saba has got some talent and a really nice shooting touch. But he is so dang slow. Slow on defense. Slow with his offensive movements. Slow running up and down the court.

I don’t see any way that he can be competitive against league opponents. But hopefully I’m wrong.
But he is getting better!