Game by Game Prediction

Jack_it

Varsity Lurker
Based on some recent posts, there appears to be a split on what people would consider a good year. At a very high level, some will only be happy with a winning season (i.e., at least 7 wins) and some will be happy with marked improvement in attitude, determination, and execution.

I am somewhat torn between the two camps. I agree that our program needs to have high expectations, but also think this year we have been dealt a very bad hand. For this I blame DB and CM mostly and Clough and Chan partially.

That being said, I would be happiest to have a winning season. If not, THIS YEAR ONLY, I would be content to have a losing season, win the games we're supposed to win, play hard and compete in the games we're not supposed to win, and FIRE DB.

Here is how I see the breakdown:

BYU - underdog but a must win (especially b/c it's the 1st game)
Auburn - underdog (huge upset)
Florida State - underdog (huge upset)
Clemson - underdog (very plausible upset)
Vanderbilt - must win
N.C. State - underdog (difficult upset)
Wake Forest - underdog but a must win
Maryland - loss (difficult upset)
Duke - must win
UNC - must win
Virginia - underdog (very plausible upset)
Georgia - must be close

The way I see it, we have 5 must win games, two of which would be upsets. We also have two additional games we should be able to win, provided we either get good QB play or get some breaks.

It would be FANTASTIC if we could sneak up and win one or more of the huge upset games.

BYU - win
Auburn - close loss
FSU - loss
Clemson - win
Vandy - win
NCSU - win
WF - win
MD- loss
Duke - eye a winning season my butt WIN!
UNC - win
UVA- win
UGA - close win

9-3 baby!

My take:

BYU - We win
Auburn - Fairly good chance of upset
Florida State - We beat Auburn, we beat FSU
Clemson - If we beat BYU, we also beat Clemson
Vanderbilt - Tough game, chances very good
N.C. State - Our defense could win this one
Wake Forest - We win
Maryland - Would be bigger upset than Auburn
Duke - We win
UNC - We win
Virginia - Would be bigger upset than Maryland
Georgia - Could go either way

Father Time

Man! And I thought I was being a homer.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but it looks like we may have some disappointed fans if all the professional prognisticators are right.

But personally, I like our predictions better.

Bleed WG,
Don't get carried away with the " all run" story with Awbern.They do have a very capable passing game that will probably be the real threat when we crowd the line in the first half.2nd half could get ugly unless our Off can hold the ball for long stretches..
Actually our biggest hope may be S.CAL hurting the
Aub QB.

I was talking to an Auburn friend of mine today and he said Jason Campbell has had an unbelievable spring and fall camp. He has been pretty dead-on in forecasting Auburn in the past so I wouldn't discount the passing game.

Originally posted by i_bleed_gold_white:
OK, I'm going to ruin any credibility that I had on this board before this post, but here goes!

I'm picking Tech in an upset of Auburn and here's why!

Auburn has become so enamored of their running game with their stud running backs that they have declared "We are going to be a running team this year!" GREAT!!!!!! We'll put 9 people on the line...now let's see you run! If they spend most of their time deciding that their huge offensive line can blow holes in our thin defensive line and prepare for the game that way...I truly believe we may pull out an upset.

Regardless of your opinion of CG, I believe that most on this board respect Jon Tenuta's ability to counter a 1-dimensional threat!

Tech 24, Auburn 20
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Dont we need 16 on the line?!!
wink.gif

I'm not convinced we'll be 'dogs against Clemson and WF. It will depend on what we all do between now and then of course, but I don't see much difference in our teams.

OK, I'm going to ruin any credibility that I had on this board before this post, but here goes!

I'm picking Tech in an upset of Auburn and here's why!

Auburn has become so enamored of their running game with their stud running backs that they have declared "We are going to be a running team this year!" GREAT!!!!!! We'll put 9 people on the line...now let's see you run! If they spend most of their time deciding that their huge offensive line can blow holes in our thin defensive line and prepare for the game that way...I truly believe we may pull out an upset.

Regardless of your opinion of CG, I believe that most on this board respect Jon Tenuta's ability to counter a 1-dimensional threat!

Tech 24, Auburn 20

Originally posted by nathogt:
I was talking to an Auburn friend of mine today and he said Jason Campbell has had an unbelievable spring and fall camp. He has been pretty dead-on in forecasting Auburn in the past so I wouldn't discount the passing game.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Well, there went my theory that Awbun was going to be a little slack at QB.

BYU - loss, we barely won last year with TH running for what 800 yds?
Auburn - loss, mismatch in personnel
Florida State - loss, close
Clemson - loss, the streak continues
frown.gif
my inlaws are Tiger fans
Vanderbilt - win
N.C. State - loss, revenge is mine sayeth Chuck
Wake Forest - win
Maryland - loss, mismatch in the coaching dept.
Duke - win, close
UNC - win, close
Virginia - loss, mismatch
Georgia -
frown.gif
frown.gif
It will not be 51-7 but the gap hasn't closed by 44 points

4-8, time to
behead.gif

@ BYU...........W 28-27 must win
AUBURN.........L 31-21 top 10 team and it shows
@ FSU...........W 21-20 I will keep picking this a W until the odds tip this one up in our favor
CLEMSON.....W 35-21 confidence at home w/ fsu win
@ VANDY......W 24-20 close but in control
NC ST............W 31-28 homecoming
@ WAKE.......W 24-14
MARYLAND...W 38-35 starting to really believe...
@ DUKE.........L 24-23 ouch
UNC..............W 28-20 rebound over middlin team
@ UVA...........L 35-17 just hard to win in Cville
UGA...............L 30-27 OT this goes either way..

We will have an up and down year. I hate putting those three losses at the end of the campaign, but with our depth and SA demands, this part of the season will be very difficult. 8-4. This said, if we go 4-8 I will not be surprised nor overly upset. The record will not be how I evaluate our team this year.

Back