George O'leary

statelinejacket

Damn Good Rat
George O\'leary

If the day comes that Dave Braine is out as AD. O'leary would be a excellent replacement. I know it is totally unique idea but he does fit what Tech needs in a AD.

Re: George O\'leary

I will 2nd that in a heart beat!! I doubt he would come back, even if we asked but as far as what I think he could accomplish in the position - the skys the limit!

First of all, he's been here and knows what it takes academically - it's obvious he did what he had to do with procedures he put in place for his players - that worked! He took NO prisoners with regard to tolerance and his players making the grade and being accountable. His qualities for strength, fortitude, desire, discipline, leadership, teaching, coaching, hiring and academia were always there and working.

He was never afraid to talk to us the fans about why or how come he did something and why something might have happened - fear is not in his character. This job demands a fearless competitor and leader. If it's not GOL it better be someone like him!!!
mad.gif

The job demands great communication and relationship building skills.

If GOL "can't" return as coach, let me assure you that he would never be considered to return as AD. The guy for the AD job is Todd Stansbury, a former SA, Director of Academics at GT, Associate AD at University of Houston for Academics, AD at East Tennessee State, currently Executive Associate AD at Oregon State. PLUS, he's an alum. His ultimate desire (career-wise) is to return to Tech as AD!! He's got it all and more--education, experience, passion, LOVE of Ma Tech.

Although, I think O'Leary might make a good AD at some institution, I don't think he would fit that position at Tech.

I think the best one that has been mentioned is Bill Curry. He would almost be the perfect fit if his age was not a factor.

smile.gif

Rope45, according to the information you posted, he does seem to have the qualifications.

smile.gif

I am acquainted with Coach Curry and think he is a fine, talented man. I just don't think he has the experience required for a position as AD.

What makes you think O'Leary would make a good AD? Just wondering.

Just because somebody can coach doesn't mean they can run the dept. I mean, can you imagine George talking with the softball coach about recruiting?

Originally posted by ncjacket:
What makes you think O'Leary would make a good AD? Just wondering.

Just because somebody can coach doesn't mean they can run the dept. I mean, can you imagine George talking with the softball coach about recruiting?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">NCJ: I don't believe George would have ever left for any other school other then ND calling. Long before he ever came here, he and his family were big ND fans(article in SI was very defining in this area). I truly believe he cared deeply for this school, its athletes and how he did things.
That's why IMO I believe he would/could have done a good job.

Are there others, definitely - now can we find them and get them here if a change has to be made, I HOPE SO!!

I suspect GOL may not have the educational requirements not to mention he's a football coach through and through.

This Stansbury does sound interesting though. I'm not familiar with him.

Curry could probably do the job and be accessible and media friendly. He's not really over the hill yet, kids.

Kim King, I think, represents the ballast of the AA. His job is behind the scenes. I can't see him as AD.

If and when we change it'd be great to have an alum and someone with flashes of brilliance and a personality.

Back