Georgia NIL law goes into effect July 1st

G776T

Not pastor material.
So who is starting the stingtalk slush fund to start buying autographed commitment tweets from top recruits?

Could get real techie with it and turn those tweets into an nft.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
General sentiment around the boards is that these state-by-state laws are window dressing until the NCAA (maybe with help from SCOTUS) passes some guidance of how to proceed. NCAA just can’t afford to allow different states to operate differently with this.

That being said the NCAA is inept and if they öööö this up as badly as they’ve ööööed other things up it’s nice to know GA is out ahead of other states which could give us a leg up on recruiting.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
Will it help GT more than Ugag? How?
Not sure how it could increase the difference. Is UGA doing to start getting 6 star recruits?

So we think Collins can use this with his 404 and 40 year decision to sell to recruits and help close the gap, a little. It should help us against many of our peers in the ACC and maybe some of the SEC schools.

athensjacket

Varsity Lurker
General sentiment around the boards is that these state-by-state laws are window dressing until the NCAA (maybe with help from SCOTUS) passes some guidance of how to proceed. NCAA just can’t afford to allow different states to operate differently with this.

That being said the NCAA is inept and if they öööö this up as badly as they’ve ööööed other things up it’s nice to know GA is out ahead of other states which could give us a leg up on recruiting.
Not a fan of the NCAA, but not sure what they can do about states passing a patchwork of laws pertaining to image/endorsement $$.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
Not sure how it could increase the difference. Is UGA doing to start getting 6 star recruits?

So we think Collins can use this with his 404 and 40 year decision to sell to recruits and help close the gap, a little. It should help us against many of our peers in the ACC and maybe some of the SEC schools.
Not to give you nightmares, but in an alternate universe the dipshits coulda signed Trevor Lawrence and who knows... Another example is if Hershel had gone anywhere else, those mouth breathers wouldn't have a legit NC at all. Certainly Walker was bought, and sometimes one player makes the difference.

This is just bringing the bagmen out into the light. Of course IMHO the way to win cheapest now is to bid for proven players on the transfer portal. Don't waste your time and money recruiting at all. Or molding a lump of clay into a starter. Just buy proven players off the portal.. We don't have the most money so that sux but if you focus the money we have where it is most effective then you will do the best you can with what you have.

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
Are there dollar limits to these? Can Athletes sell NFTs of themselves for Bitcoin?

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
Like it or not, it is going to be a mess. To me, the answer is to require student athletes to pay for their own college. When we sign a kid, make a cash offer for his services, then get out of the way. The kids who can handle it all the best will survive and hopefully that is Tech students.

These rulings are about freeing up a market so I can't argue against it. However, in the big picture, the politicians rewarded a handful of athletes while possibly destroying the lives of all the secondary sports members.

This will go to court soon as female soccer players or male divers will sue for equal pay for quarterbacks of a football team. Title IX will go back to the Supreme Court (which is a good thing). If the secondary sports members win, then it's the end of college sports.

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
Are there dollar limits to these? Can Athletes sell NFTs of themselves for Bitcoin?
I think in some cases, it will be "pay for results", how could a law be written for marketing but not results? Interception...$5000. As the money will not be maintainable by the Athletic Departments, it will definitely decline to "pay for lack of results".....Fumble....$25,000.

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
Let me add one more thing. The big programs who give away money and perks in the dark, and the awful NCAA, is what is causing this to occur. The demise of college sports will fall directly at the feet of Alabama and Georgia for example. But first, there will be an uptick for those programs with unlimited funds and that's all that matters to them.

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
Final, final....I am curious what folks think about the quick demise of the elite European Soccer League. First I will say that the spending competition would have been through the roof, otherwise some of those elite teams would have quickly become of no interest wallowing in the last place all the time. Generally you have to have enough Detroit Tigers around to have the New York Yankees who they are.

But specifically here, I think the idea, that I thought we were headed in, of a 30 or 60 team superleague for NCAA football is not going to happen anytime soon now.

BuzzedATL

Varsity Lurker
I don’t see how this helps the powerhouses. What does “better recruiting” look like for the Clemsons/Bamas/ugas of the world? The top 100 players are all basically going to the same handful of schools every year already. Who cares if they start paying them?

Where this might have an effect is the next tier down. If being in a big city with national draw ends up equating to more money for the types of players not going to the top 5-6 schools, then you might start to see some advantages. If a player is deciding between GT/ATL and VT/Blacksburg for example, GT may win that matchup more often now. As I understand it, the players aren’t getting paid by the school but they can get paid for their name, image, and likeness now by external entities. Will these opportunities be more available in higher population areas such as big cities? Who knows.

This could be really beneficial to GT if the ATL market proves to be lucrative for college athletes. It’s another arrow in the quiver of what GT has to offer. We need to start putting more and more players into the NFL - at that point we will have it all. Top 5 education, top NIL opportunities, P5 athletics, NFL pipeline. Good news is we are headed in the right direction with the NFL stuff. This 2021 roster should have several draft picks in 2022 and beyond.

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
I don’t see how this helps the powerhouses. What does “better recruiting” look like for the Clemsons/Bamas/ugas of the world? The top 100 players are all basically going to the same handful of schools every year already. Who cares if they start paying them?

Where this might have an effect is the next tier down. If being in a big city with national draw ends up equating to more money for the types of players not going to the top 5-6 schools, then you might start to see some advantages. If a player is deciding between GT/ATL and VT/Blacksburg for example, GT may win that matchup more often now. As I understand it, the players aren’t getting paid by the school but they can get paid for their name, image, and likeness now by external entities. Will these opportunities be more available in higher population areas such as big cities? Who knows.

This could be really beneficial to GT if the ATL market proves to be lucrative for college athletes. It’s another arrow in the quiver of what GT has to offer. We need to start putting more and more players into the NFL - at that point we will have it all. Top 5 education, top NIL opportunities, P5 athletics, NFL pipeline. Good news is we are headed in the right direction with the NFL stuff. This 2021 roster should have several draft picks in 2022 and beyond.
Pretty good look.

So this will help us, especially when @gtphd starts spending his hundreds of millions of dollars on top athletes.

Flywheel

Wait, what year is it?
Ohio will fall in line just like they did when they didn't want to have a season until they realized what that would do to recruiting if the ACC and SEC played without them.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan

This is true but it also helps having swaths of fans ready to give your players money for their NIL.

RussianOffense

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ
I suspect things are going to be screwed up and broken for a while (years) with the big changes re amateurism. I'm just glad I don't work in college athletics and it's not my problem. Eventually things will be fixed. There is too much popular will to have college sports to have it die or become something radically different from what it is now.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
The teams that should really benefit is teams with large sidewalk fanbases that are top dogs for a large region. Nebraska is a school that could benefit, because there are no bigger local celebrities for hundreds of miles.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
This is true but it also helps having swaths of fans ready to give your players money for their NIL.
Yeah, I don’t see how this helps us at all. Our fan and alumni base just isn’t the sort that throws money at players. We’re “frugal” and unlikely to throw money at players, and most of us don’t own or work for the kinds of business that would bring in Gibbs for a promotion.

Drive around Athens or Auburn or Clemson and you’ll see “Bulldog Tire” and “Tiger Printing” and all those sorts of small businesses, where bringing in [I literally can’t name a U[sic]GA player] to sign autographs or whatever would bring in throngs of yokels. That doesn’t exist for Tech.

This is just another way for the schools with dumb masses of fans and alums to become even more attractive to dumb kids that value $250 today over a useful degree in 4 years.

JRjr

GTWannaBee

Dodd-Like
Yeah, I don’t see how this helps us at all. Our fan and alumni base just isn’t the sort that throws money at players. We’re “frugal” and unlikely to throw money at players, and most of us don’t own or work for the kinds of business that would bring in Gibbs for a promotion.

Drive around Athens or Auburn or Clemson and you’ll see “Bulldog Tire” and “Tiger Printing” and all those sorts of small businesses, where bringing in [I literally can’t name a U[sic]GA player] to sign autographs or whatever would bring in throngs of yokels. That doesn’t exist for Tech.

This is just another way for the schools with dumb masses of fans and alums to become even more attractive to dumb kids that value $250 today over a useful degree in 4 years.

JRjr
Waffle House and Coke come to mind. Look at it this way. UGA, Alabama, Tennessee, etc already have bagmen spending huge amounts of money for recruits. This just brings that money to light - meaning no net gain. Schools like Tech that don’t have bagmen might actually gain the ability to compete with some of those recruits now.

that’s just the rise-colored spin I’m putting on it for myself.