Gifts from boosters now not only cool, but celebrated

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
https://www.si.com/college/2019/12/28/lebron-james-gives-ohio-state-team-headphones-fiesta-bowl

Ahead of the No. 2 Buckeyes' Fiesta Bowl matchup against No. 3 Clemsonon Saturday, Ohio native LeBron James gave the entire team Beats headphones
He has given the football team headphones previously, providing the Buckeyes team with new Beats ahead of their National Championship matchup against Oregon in Jan. 2015. That year, he worked with the NCAA to make sure the school and players would not be violating any rules by accepting the headphones.
Not sure how there is any scenario where this isn’t a rules violation...but then realized it was a team immune from any NCAA punishment, so nothing to see here.

texstinger

Dodd-Like
Having to do with giving to entire team vs. individual players perhaps?

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Call the NCAA and tell them you want to know how to give a gift to the entire Georgia Tech team without violating NCAA rules. I bet they hang up on you.
Watches?

GTWannaBee

Dodd-Like
Call the NCAA and tell them you want to know how to give a gift to the entire Georgia Tech team without violating NCAA rules. I bet they hang up on you.
They’ll probably ask “Which bowl is this a reward for?”.

Too soon?

JJacket

Well they had a player admit to receiving a cash gift from a god damn agent mid-season and he’s playing tonight in the Semifinal. So I doubt headphones are gonna move the needle.
At least it wasn't a warm up suit.

rghoae

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
I mean, if there is any concern here, they just include it as part of the standard bowl game gift package.
Lebron’s only job here is to add some celebrity to it. It’s not like he has literally bought these from his own money. It’s more likely that Beats is giving them to these players for free, and further, are paying Lebron for the association with him.
In fact, I’d bet Clemson also got the same Beats headphones, without the associated Beats celebrity marketing.

Edit: The article literally says...

“That year, he worked with the NCAA to make sure the school and players would not be violating any rules by accepting the headphones. “

The Jacket

The Coat
I guess I should ask for some clarity. Were you guys totally, completely joking in this thread?

edit: Unrelated question, if someone self-reports a violation by their school to the NCAA, how long do they have to call and take it back? Can they just play it off as a joke? Time is a factor in this scenario.

JJacket

USC should have given all player's families a house, no just Reggie Bush's