Goldtimer's 'longest Bowl streak' post

Re: Goldtimer\'s \'longest Bowl streak\' post

GT Ace, I had made the statement, "we should roll up the grass and forget about a bowl game".

I think I have just changed my mind. Maybe, we do need to go to continue the consecutive streak and hope we win another one at the same time.

Also, thanks for the informational posts.

While I like the accomplishment of 6 straight bowl games, should this not be qualified? Certainly, 28 bowls w/56 teams is waaaaaaaaayyy out of hand. I would be interested to see the list of consecutive trips when the bowl games were much lesser in #, say less than or equal to 20.

W/28 bowls, your team really stinks if they are not in one.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
GT Ace, I had made the statement, "we should roll up the grass and forget about a bowl game".

I think I have just changed my mind. Maybe, we do need to go to continue the consecutive streak and hope we win another one at the same time.

Also, thanks for the informational posts.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ah,

We need a bowl badly. Not for any streak. But we need a game to allow us to somewhat make amends for the travesty in Athens. We need that game to "wash our hands", so to speak.

I have a bit of a different take on bowl games. To me they should be a reward for past season accomplishments, not as Tony Barnhardt has written, an opportunity to get next season off to a good start; a pre-season game if you will.

If you were the coach, what whould you prefer to tell your players in August:

A. Boys if we work real hard and do the things necessary to win, we have a chance at a bowl game at the end of the season.

B. Boys, if things fall apart and we have a marginal season, losing by a record score to our arch-rival we will likely go to a bowl to get the kinks worked out for next year.

Now why would a school want to accept a bowl invitation with a marginal record?

Answer: money

And why would a school with a marginal record turn down a bowl invitation?

Answer: To avoid losing money (aka UGA's trip to Hulaland).

The anwer gentlemen is always money.

pat.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif

Calderman420, you went right over my head. I must confess, I don't understand your remark about Arizona. Arizona must have done something that I am not aware of.

confused.gif

Ahsoisee,
Calderman put a link in his post that has heavy reference to 'grass'.

Remember that Nebraska, 7-6, is now grovelling for any kind of Bowl to keep their nation leading 33 yr streak alive. Also grovelling are 7-5 Washington, 6-6 Purdue, 6-6 Tex A&M, 7-5 Oregon & even Marshall, who is limited by the # of Bowls they can attend.
Sometimes you have to take lesser Bowls just to keep things 'streaking' along.

Thanks Ace, I went back and read the article from the link. I can now see the humor in the remark.

laugh.gif

Just imagine, with the performance in Athens after two weeks of preparation, just think what this staff can do with four weeks of preparation.
Might be some kind of record set.

BeeWare, your posts are beginning to be quite humorous, rather than grating. Another good piece of humor.

laugh.gif

A strong return in a bowl would be invaluable to our recruiting and focus on next season. Auburn may well be the biggest game of 2003. They aren't gonna be dragging some D2 team into Atlanta. They'll be primed and loaded. Probably pre-season ranked. Get ready, men! If Auburn kicks our can in Atlanta it's gonna be a long year!

Back