Gotta figure it's gonna be the Tangerine Bowl.

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
Gotta figure it\'s gonna be the Tangerine Bowl.

Tangerine has sent a rep yesterday & had one for FSU, along with the Peach for FSU. Tangerine was the only Bowl to track us for last 2 games & the only Bowl here for Duke. The Charlotte game in the Queen City sponsored by Continental Tires has shown ZERO interest in GT. The ConTire people are evidently hoping for Virginia or Clemson. Clem goes to Charlotte if they beat SCar & goes to Seattle if they lose with Vir going to Charlotte. If Clem goes to Charlotte, Vir goes to Seattle.
Maryland, FSU & NC St will be in the Orange, Gator & Peach, in some combination, with who goes where depending on if FSU beats NC St.

Re: Gotta figure it\'s gonna be the Tangerine Bowl.

I would love to go to the Tangerine bowl but you have to remember there is a 4 way tie for 4th place (will be when FSU beats NC ST. next week). The locks are as follows: Virginia gets the Peach, Mary the Gator and Free Shoes gets the BCS. The question then becomes..Does the Tangerine take a 8-4 / 7-5 Tech team or do they take Clem's Son at 7-5 who actually beat us? I think we get the nod over State since we beat them, they will have been on a 4 game losing streak and they were in that same bowl last year. I would say it makes more sense for us to be in the CT bowl, Clem in Orlando and State in Seattle. I repeat "makes sense", not that this is how things will shake out. If we do get the Tangerine (more prestige, better opponent, higher payout?) I am afraid the Christmas thing will be all the excuse Tech folks need to stay at home for this one. To maintain our bowl affiliations, ACC teams really need to travel well this year and Clem will bring more people to Orlando under these circumstances (2 days prior to Christmas).

captainG, I believe the acc, GT, and bowls had it worked out other than BCS/Gator.

I'm of the opinion that GT was/is going to Tangerine Bowl if it won against Duke yesterday.

We'll find out soon enough.

Our dear Captain,
How teams finish in the conference has absolutely nothing to do with which Bowl they go to after the BCS team is named. There is a lot of thinking that goes on as to which team may draw the most interest & better crowd. Bowls do not like to take teams 2 yrs in a row & will certainly try to avoid that. Also, teams do not like to go to the same city 2 yrs in a row. The Peach is in the unusual situation of not wanting to take the 'home town' team.
Let's say FSU loses to NC ST & Maryland wins out. Mary gets the BCS nod for being ranked more than 5 places higher than FSU in final BCS standings. The Gator WILL NOT take 2nd place FSU 'cause the 'Noles went there last yr. The Gator will take tied for 3rd place NC St(& it's star player). The Peach will pick 3rd & surely grab FSU(& Bowden) who haven't been here in a long time & has many alumni here.
If FSU beats NC St, FSU gets the auto BCS bid. The Gator will jump on 11-2 Mary who hasn't ever played there. The Peach will not take 3rd place Vir, but will nab tied for 4th NC St(& it's star player).
Does this make sense as to how the Bowl teams are decided? It's not by conference standings, but by the Bowls making their selection in order. Usually, every one is happy.

Believe you hit the nail on head. I'll go out on a limb and say we'll hear something really soon. It's Tangerine! That's not much of a limb. Too many little birdies were talking after our win yesterday.

Way to go guys for hanging in there when you could have folded up the tent!

Go Jackets!

Back