Graduation Rates

forensicbuzz

Varsity Lurker
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting tired of hearing about graduation rates. My understanding is that the graduation rate is based on atheletes that have graduated within 6 years of matriculation. I think that's a crock.

I could go through the litany of retoric that's been thrown out there that it doesn't include transfers that go somewhere else and graduate, it doesn't include those who leave early and come back to finally get their degrees, etc. However, I'd like to focus on a couple of other points. These are the things that I never hear, but continue to swirl in my mind.

1. The graduation rate of the student atheletes should not be held to a higher standard that the overall graduation rate of the non-athelete at the particular school. For instance, the graduation rate at Georgia Tech is much lower than many, if not most, other schools. I remember during the first day of FACET being told "look to your left, look to your right, one of the three of you will graduate." As it turns out, he was right in my case. The two guys next to me lasted about 5 quarters. I don't know what the institutional graduation rate is currently at Tech, but back then it was pretty difficult to get through. Throw varsity atheletics on top and it gets more difficult. Granted they have a lot of help, but they're also generally behind academically compared to the average non-athelete. The NCAA should hold the AA departments to the same standard that the school President holds the academic colleges.

2. Although I co-oped (13 quarters), it took me 6 1/2 years to graduate. Under current rules, I would count against the graduation rate. Now, I have an undergraduate in Engineering, and subsequently went on to obtain a Master's in Engineering. Does the fact that I took 6 1/2 years to get my degree lessen the accomplishment? My boss doesn't think so. Nor do my parents and friends, nor does the Alumni Association. The latter keeps calling for money, knowing that I'm more likely to give because I am an alumnus.

It ires me to no end when I hear all the bunk about graduation rates. The NCAA has set up some arbitrary cut-off for time and makes no qualifications for the difficulty in acheiving the degree. If scholarships are to be tied to graduation rates, then the rates should be reflexive of the overall graduation rate at the particular institution.

Just one man's opinion.

Well, the fair comparison for athletic grad rates is to compare them to the overall student body, and in those years concerned we did fall short. Whether or not the rates are calculated fairly is another issue, but I do think the coaches that we currently have in place are focused on the right things. Other than players leaving for the NBA or transferring, I think Coach Hewitt will graduate most players. I think Coach Gailey has his head screwed on right as well. Certainly the flunk out last year will hurt his future grad rates, but in the long run it should make our support system better.

I didn't read the entire thread so I don't know if this has been said yet, but having transfers count against the rate is the most illogical thing ever.

If a transfer goes to another school and graduates within the timeframe he does not count as a graduate for either school (pretty sure). I know it does not count for the school he leaves and I don't even think the school that gets him gets to count him. Crazy.

Things like graduation rates exist so the NCAA and the media can feel good about college football without having to talk about the inherent hypocrisy. To call some of the individuals that make up the statistics "students" is ludicrous. And just wait, it's about to get worse. A kid at a football factory can get buried in some joke of a major and keep playing. Compare that to a Tech player who might start out in an engineering degree and then decide to change his major. The kid who actually is trying to make good decisions in his life will get penalized and won't be able to play. But those football factories will have fine "graduation rates" and "progress rates" won't they?

Back