Great report from Macbee on Coach G's talk in Carrollton

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
Great report from Macbee on Coach G\'s talk in Carrollton

Not only does Macbee give what appears to be a fairly accurate & imformative report, but there are also some good replies.
Especially read Hiveredtech's report on the rebuilding & areas of concern. This is a pretty darn good report for a synopsis.
Goldtimer puts a gentle 'gold spin' on the situation.
All in all, this report is a very good read. Enjoy.

Gailey's talk to the Carrollton Club

Re: Great report from Macbee on Coach G\'s talk in Carrollton

Several items indicates to me Gailey will be back for next year, if the team does not bomb out completely.

One is the admission that many of the fresmen will play. If the redshirt freshmen also play, and we have another good recruiting year, Gailey could well be on his way to having players committed to his staff and the team.

This is the reason a coach is normally given four to five years. There are normally some malcontents from previous regimes that do not want the new coach.

If these players see the handwriting on the wall, they will have to make adjustments of their attitudes if they want to continue to play.

For Gailey to say this is a rebuilding year, indicates the administration is solidly behind him if he has a fair season. I would say he is back next year with a 5-7, 6-6, or better season.

Actually, I am anxious to see how some of the young freshmen and redshirt freshmen perform. Their future is ahead of them. The juniors and seniors can either come in and give it all they have or get out of the way.

wink.gif

Here is a big ole "AMEN OLDFOGGY" from the amen corner.

Also looking forward to seeing the new kids play.
This year will be Chan's *real* first year.

VERY FEW FRESHMAN ON OUR LIST CAN MAKE AND IMPACT? How do you know? Have you seen any of these freshman play and if so how many times? I hope GT have one of the best season ever!!!!! I would like to hear what all the gloom and doom fonts will have to say then. BY THE WAY ANYBODY HEARD FROM BEEWARE?
mad.gif
shocked.gif
pat.gif

Maybe BeeWare is with us under another name. Is there a poster on the board that posts the same as BeeWare?

wink.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Maybe BeeWare is with us under another name. Is there a poster on the board that posts the same as BeeWare?

wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">LOTS OF THEM I CAN'T TELL WHICH ONE IS HIM BECAUSE THEY ALL SOUND A LIKE.
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

He will probably be playing freshmen not from choice, but necessity. Losing 10 players now, before another summer grading period and fall practice injuries, well, there goes the depth chart.

Playing with numerous freshmen spells disaster. Most of our schedule is filled with experienced teams. Very few freshmen, especially on our list, can make an impact.

On the one hand we have Braine going around touting how many bowls we've been to consecutively, and now we are starting to throw the "rebuilding" tag out - so which is it?

How can other coaches, from Friedgen to Terry Bowden, come in and win big with another coaches team but now Gailey needs five years before he takes accountability?

He may want to try hiring a new strength coach, actually practicing a few times before playing your arch-rival, devising a decent game plan, and instilling a little discipline. One might be surprised at how these bad attitudes you call them might perform.

FWasp, You are correct in that some if not all Fresh. will play. I have a question for you have you ever or will you ever have anything good to say about anyone or anything connected with Georgia Tech sports?

Fog, no one has answered my questions from above, but I will simply redirect your question to me to the others who continue to blame everything on the players - they are the ones posting negative.

I still find it a paradox to have the head coach going around saying we are in a rebuilding stage and Braine-dead going around touting how well we are doing since we one of a handfull of schools to go to our string of bowls.

It is one thing to raise the expectations and standards of the program - I am all for running some off if they don't want to step up. However, the standards have been relaxed, and the results are evident - we are going backwards. The coaching staff must prepare the team and lead!

FatherW. I'll try to answer your question. You will not agree with it but it is never the less true. O'Liar left GT cupboards bare. Yes we did have a few impact players. The kickers especially. Punt returners etc other than that we had no QB with playing experience, no running backs a defense which at best could be described as so so, an offensive line with the exception of 1 again so so nothing more nothing less. On the whole we were at best a so so team. Now go ahead and argue I know you will so let the debate begin. Also T Bow, and others did take teams that were also rans in the conference and in TB clem team he kept them also rans. As for the Fridge he took MD to a title then go whupped pretty badly. Also if what I read about TB is true TB is more or less being told to produce or it's over and the fat lady is warming up off stage. So let me hear you explain how all our player, this is nothing against them as I'll support anyone who puts on the white and gold, were all americans, all conference, all anything. O'liar left when the leaving was good he just got caught being the O'Liar.

As for qb without experience, much the same could be said when Godsey took over. They developed him into one fine, efficient QB.

The defense had 8 starters back, I believe, but someone can quote the exact number.

You have your Bowden's confused. I was talking about Terry at Auburn who won big the first year.Amato also came in and won with what was there. As for Friedgen getting whipped badly vs. UF, I would gladly trade winning them all, going to the Orange Bowl to lose to UF. I'd call getting whipped badly what happened to us vs. Ga.

I do not put forth the notion we are loaded with All-America's or pro players - and I especially keep repeating it is not about wins and losses. Somewhere along the line you can expect to lose within the ACC. We just want them to be competitive and acquit themselves well week after week. Tech's history is for the most part has been consistently competitive. Others may disagree, but I'm ok with a 7 win season as long as we beat Georgia somewhat regularly, and battle them win we don't, and we win games like Fresno when there should be no question.

The score nonwithstanding, we stack up quite favorably with New Mexico State and Northwestern State in our outing vs. Georgia (we had been preparing all year and had a week off prior) - Scores in order - 45-7, 41-10, 51-7(Tech). First downs vs. Ga - 16, 18, 12 (Tech). Rush yards vs. Ga. - 81, 55, 71 (Tech). We did do better than Northwestern State in total yards - 222 to 211.

Good grief guys, we ain't the Miami Hurricanes but can't we raise our expectations to at least be better than Wake Forest and New Mexico State?

FW, what I was trying to point out was that the 2002 season, we Tech that is, was operating with a pretty empty tank. Much like my car is now enought to get around the block but not to town and back. As for GG he had the Fridge as OC we had BOB for AJ. Nuff said on that subject. I saw the Wake game and I thought that our adjustements were a total failure and CG and Ten, must take the responsibility for that game. Tech layed down against UGa and the players should be ashamed for that as well as CG. I've been beaten many times in my life but I always tried to give 100% even in defeat. To me CCG did not have us prepared for several games, but thats no excuse to lay down and play dead like the players did against the mongrels.

FW....if being competitive in the ACC is so important, then we did that last year.

Heck...we upset back to back ranked opponents in Virginia and NCState. The Clemson loss was a fluke with the desperation toss by Simmons...but we still lost. We had a chance to beat F$U (loss by 8) at the end and threw the pick in the endzone. The only game we played poorly was WFU (loss by 3), and we were still in it until near the end...as well as the 2nd half against Maryland where we fell apart.

We were definitely competitive...and Hollings was worth the more than the 3pts against WFU...and may have been worth the 8 pts. against F$U.

Really guys we can talk about last year until we blue in the face
frown.gif
but lets wait and see what happens this year and yes the team layed down against GA,MARY,WF,and FS our coaches must do a better jod this year than last and our players must play better as well. LETS HOPE THEY DO THE ROAD AHEAD WILL BE HARD.

Back