GREAT Wilkinson Article

JacksonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Yet another reason to be proud of our guys and Gerris in particular:
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/gatech/1205/28gtfoot.html
[ QUOTE ]
...a time to celebrate the achievements of a favorite son who traveled more than 2,000 miles in search of an academic and athletic challenge and returned a grown man, with a prestigious college degree and the captaincy of one of the nation's Top 25 football teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably one of the best AJC articles I've read in a while. I really enjoyed the prestigious college degree comment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

Where do we continue to find young men of this caliber to play for us? May that source never dry up!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drink1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drink1.gif

Gerris has been underrated and underappreciated as a football player, but hopefully not as a person. This young man should be a favorite of all Tech fans. Good luck in your last game!

What a moving article! I hope this message does not get lost in the shuffle of the "everyday" at GT. This could be an inspiration for a lot of young men to come.

I think we will miss this guy on Def MUCH more than folks think.
He is an example of the "whole US " player we've got to get.This Tongo guy from ILL may be another.

About two years ago, the AJC did an article on Wilkinson and his father (an Atlanta firefighter). If I remember correctly, Wilkinson was born in Atlanta, but then his parents divorced and Mom moved to Oakland. As a child, whenever Gerris would ride by Tech's campus with his dad he would tell him "I want to play there someday".

Well being out in Oakland, Tech did not recruit Wilkinson. But Wilkinson recruited Tech by sending them a highlight tape; he had not forgot about his childhood. Tech immediately offered him and he spurned a scholarship to Miami to come here.

I want to see Wilkinson and this Senior Class go out with a big win today.

Thanks Stilts. That is a great story I haven't heard before.

I was hoping that Tech recruited this kid out of the Bay Area, but in this case, I like the true story better!

Back