GT at BC Wed 1/12 9pm

GTCrew4b

All moratoria must be earned
I've been critical of #5 but I must admit we need his speed and defense and he has to play and keep improving. His talent is a weapon. I was calling to sit him but I was wrong.
He will be good against teams like BC. He will look rough against top tier teams. It is what it is. He’s just not quite good enough yet. But he’s not far off either

MACHETE

Jolly Good Fellow
Just got back from the game, great effort by the Jackets. Shout out to Maxwell and Deivon Smith, who played clutch minutes at the end ahead of Sturdivant. I sat behind the team and the one thing I will say is that it was pretty clear the team gets along very well and they all root hard for each other, it was nice to see this.

p.s. There were about 300 total people in attendance. Pathetic.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
Yeah. Why no Saba? He was on bench but not dressed to go into the game
From what I could see from the stands at the ND game, he got himself in Pastner’s doghouse with extremely poor defensive play. Right after he had the awesome assist on a no look bounce, he for some reason got way out of position and allowed a big dunk. Pastner got pissed and pulled him out and he hasn’t played again.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
The ACC, as a conference, needs to hire a consultant to do a deep dive on the reasons for poor attendance at member school revenue events and ways to help correct it. We are included in this. There needs to be a conference-wide effort to correct scheduling with media partners, realign the conference to provide more compelling matchups, figure out on a school basis what issues are suppressing attendance, etc.

It’s pathetic for an ACC conference game to have an attendance of 300.

WreckRod

Dodd-Like
Covid no doubt plays a part, but probably not as much as a 9 pm Wednesday night matchup between two teams with very little commonality having mediocre seasons.
Basketball, just like football, is scheduled for TV. Convenience of fan attendance is not a factor.

Also, with football SUCKING, and then bball looking like a pretty meh kind of year, not a lot to get excited about. If bball team was winning games more people would be showing up. Even at 9 pm on a Wednesday.

RussianOffense

Tabbed as one of the elite posters of Stingtalk
The small-ball strategy worked out but it just barely did. Glad to hear in the post-game interview that Pastner realizes we can't do that against every team, and that Carolina has some of the best bigs in the league. Pretty sure UNC will destroy us if we go with that line-up again.

It's annoying that we're having to play with this handicap. We should just have a quality big.

RussianOffense

Tabbed as one of the elite posters of Stingtalk
Basketball, just like football, is scheduled for TV. Convenience of fan attendance is not a factor.

Also, with football SUCKING, and then bball looking like a pretty meh kind of year, not a lot to get excited about. If bball team was winning games more people would be showing up. Even at 9 pm on a Wednesday.
Win the ACC and beat UGA, and I'm watching every game I can!

GTFLETCH

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Congrats to Tristan Maxwell and the Jackets.... Hopefully we can see more of Tristan this Saturday!

gtleviathan

Dodd-Like
The small-ball strategy worked out but it just barely did. Glad to hear in the post-game interview that Pastner realizes we can't do that against every team, and that Carolina has some of the best bigs in the league. Pretty sure UNC will destroy us if we go with that line-up again.

It's annoying that we're having to play with this handicap. We should just have a quality big.
Mostly agree with the sentiment but let me give a slightly different spin. This shows a great job of coaching. There were several noticeable changes to the team from last game and not just the lineup. Pastner deserves credit for coming up with a specific gameplan to get the job done at BC.

I've criticized the team for "hero ball" offense so far. Well, it's obvious that Pastner really worked on that side of the ball before this game. There were several new off-ball movements this game that really allowed more of a team offense vs. give it to Devoe/Usher and pray. The multiple successful backdoor passes are proof of that (even if we couldn't successfully finish on all of them.) Pastner definitely has his faults but the dude obviously coaches his butt off. Getting everyone involved will only help the development of Deebo, Maxwell, Kelly, etc.

Liberty

Kayar hunu bhanda marnu ramro
Mostly agree with the sentiment but let me give a slightly different spin. This shows a great job of coaching. There were several noticeable changes to the team from last game and not just the lineup. Pastner deserves credit for coming up with a specific gameplan to get the job done at BC.

I've criticized the team for "hero ball" offense so far. Well, it's obvious that Pastner really worked on that side of the ball before this game. There were several new off-ball movements this game that really allowed more of a team offense vs. give it to Devoe/Usher and pray. The multiple successful backdoor passes are proof of that (even if we couldn't successfully finish on all of them.) Pastner definitely has his faults but the dude obviously coaches his butt off. Getting everyone involved will only help the development of Deebo, Maxwell, Kelly, etc.
Once again we seem to have a very competent coach, but he cannot recruit well at all. Hire a recruiter, pleeeeeeeease.

wgjacket

Varsity Lurker
Do not think it is a blue state problem. Montreal was playing the Bruins at the Garden at the same time and the place looked sold out

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ

Read my post above the one you responded to. I agree that the driving factor of scheduling is TV, but that doesn’t mean that the conference has no influence in trying with the media partners to get a better product. Full arenas also makes for better tv.

GT98

Dodd-Like
9 pm Wednesday night matchup between two teams with very little commonality having mediocre seasons.
There's the attendance issue. 9 PM tip-offs during the week a no-go with kids in school. The schedule is obviously set for TV, so let's hope that the schools are getting good revenue from it (that helps or does offset lower attended games)

Graybeard Jacket

Varsity Lurker
Sometimes you have to make trade-offs. CJP gave up a big defender to put another scorer on the floor. I thought the amazing thing was that the small line up won the rebounding stats.

This was the most encouraging game this season. It gave hope to a future without Devoe and Usher. Coleman & Maxwell showed they can score. Smith is a young Usher. Once he gets under control, which he did better last night, he will be a big contributor. (He can really get up).