GT/Bama 1962...

Great thread!

I hitchhiked home from college in SC (Erskine) to LISTEN to that game on the radio.

when dad got home from that game......
he was VERY VERY happy!!!
i remember it well!
drinking.gif

I was not born till '64 myself but I recall a Bear Bryant book I had when I was about 10 yrs. old and it showed Bear walking onto Grant Field wearing a helmut. Sounds like Tech-Bama had all the bad blood Bama-Auburn has today. It had to be a wonderful memory for anyone there. Personally I wish we still played them and the Volunteers every yrar!

My father in law is from Alabama and he's always been a Crimson Tide fan. He's in his mid 70's. He says that in the 40's, 50's and 60's, Tech was Bama's biggest rivalry...bigger than Auburn. I consider that a compliment to how great our program was at that time. He says he still wishes Tech was in the SEC. Back then, it was more than Tech/Bama. It was also Birmingham vs. Atlanta. It was the battle of 2 states and 2 cities. It was the battle of 2 different coaching philosophies.

After talking to my father-in-law and reading some history books, I finally understood all the old Bama fans that hated Bill Curry just because he was from Tech. I don't agree with them, but I now understand how some of their fans are.

Bama fans are a different breed, on average. I'm glad we're not like them.

Having lived in Mobile (which has a VERY large contigent of Alabama fans) I can honestly say they are the single most arrogant fanbase I've known in my 38 years. They think they are God's gift to college football and the be-all, end-all DESPITE ALL the trouble they are experiencing in their program. I'm also married to a woman who was raised in B'ham. I was raised in Atlanta. I feel like a minority defending Atlanta and GT when I'm with her family. This thread is SO cool and rewarding for me to learn in more detail of Tech/Atlanta's grand and glorious past.

Alot of old schoolers don't understand that we left the SEC. I know it was probably for the best, but can you imagine IF we were still in it what our program would be like?? Just a rhetorical question, but it conjures up many an idea.

I remember that game well. Yes Billy should have won the Heisman he was the best in college fb. Tech was Bama's biggest rival, bigger than Tenn., Aub. or any others you could think of. 7-6 Tech remember it well.

I think Mike McNames from Vidalia played fullback and scored Tects touchdown. He also played middle linebacker on defence ,he stoped Alabamas two point conversion.

You've a good memory,BeeJ. I was there that day. I was total delirium from start to finish. There was REALbad blood between Tech and bama then. The Chick Graning incident was still fresh on people's mind. Later I lived in Birmingham for 12 years inthe 70-80s. Bama fans never stopped hating Tech.

Having lived in Bama for a good part of my life (but born in the United States of Georgia) the people in Bama hate Tech to this day.

Originally posted by bellyseries:
Great thread!

I hitchhiked home from college in SC (Erskine) to LISTEN to that game on the radio.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Belly, if I had known you were that old I would not be so hard on you...

Originally posted by ramblinwise1:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by bellyseries:
Great thread!

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Belly, if I had known you were that old I would not be so hard on you...</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Age has no doubt addled me, ramblin, but I would STILL hitchhike home to hear that game! Priorities are priorities.

I KNEW we would beat them. After the Chick Graning incident, all anybody thought about was beating 'bama next season. There was a former Elephant b-ball player at Erskine (in fact, he might have been a football scrub, too), and we argued about it all the time. I think he had a bad premonition, because his last line was always, "They'll be there. Alabama'll be there." like that was all he really expected. He had a Southern accent just like Pat Dye's.

The Bama/Tech rivalry was mentioned as one of the great southern rivalries by Tony Barnhart in his book about Southern Football. Considering that we haven't played regularly since the 60's and for a brief time in the 80's, that speaks volumes about the rivalry.

I hope to play them again one day. But overall, I prefer playing Auburn. That's a more friendly rivalry.

Back