GT band to go to SV & how GT got to this Bowl

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
This is a very good article from the San Jose Mercury on the inside dealings of the Silicon Valley Bowl. It mentions that the Ga Tech & Fresno St bands will do the halftime show as the Bowl was too poor to hire outside entertainment.
Also contained herewith is the deal that got GT in this Bowl. U of Oregon & the ACC split a $250,000 payment to the WAC to get Oregon out of the Siligon Valley & into the Seattle Bowl. This created an opening in the SV that was taken by an ACC team because of the payment. As I said 'very interesting'.

How GT got the Silicon Valley Bowl invite

Sounds like alot of trouble just to schedule an away game with a second tier opponent. We should have talked to Tulane and partied in New Orleans.
BOO

We were set to take the Independence Bowl in Shreveport, but Ole Miss beat Miss St to finish 6-6. The Rebels wanted to go & by contract could get this Bowl.
Our only choices then came down to a repeat in the Seattle or take this deal that the ACC set up to get Wake Forest in a Bowl game if we'd take the Silicon Valley. It' seems better to me to take the 'different' Bowl rather than go back to the 'same' Seattle Bowl.
PS: Tulane is going to the Hawaii Bowl to face Hawaii. We'd have had to do a deal with the ConferenceUSA to get to New Orleans.

Thanks, GTfan & Adam. I love this behind the scenes type info where u get a glimpse of what & why things happen. Wonder if the Bowl picks up some of the tab for getting the GT & Fresno bands to San Jose to do their 'free' halftime show?
Wonder why San Jose doesn't support this Bowl? There is a huge population in this area. Wonder why GT alums & fans aren't flocking to see their Jackets in such a close venue? The article says there's over 2,000 GT alums in the immediate area, but local tix sales are only 500. There's probably 5,000 GT fans within a 2 hr driving period & this would be easier to see the Yellow Jackets than planning a trip to Atlanta next Autumn. Has the GTAA done it's part contacting the alums, groups, clubs, etc, in this area?

Originally posted by GT Ace:
Wonder why GT alums & fans aren't flocking to see their Jackets in such a close venue? The article says there's over 2,000 GT alums in the immediate area, but local tix sales are only 500. There's probably 5,000 GT fans within a 2 hr driving period & this would be easier to see the Yellow Jackets than planning a trip to Atlanta next Autumn. Has the GTAA done it's part contacting the alums, groups, clubs, etc, in this area?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Don't always assume the worst GT Ace. That glass might actually be half full (not half empty). I know that the Nor Cal GT alumni club was calling their entire membership pushing SV Bowl tickets.

Back