GT Bookstore = Sad (No BBALL Support)

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
I remember being a senior in high school for the 2004 bball season and heading to campus to load up on Tech basketball gear - especially late in the season/for march madness. There was seemingly tons of stuff and it was all up front ready to go. I remember getting a gold "official" jersey with stitched on letters and numbers. I remember getting "going dancing" shirts and hats.

I left work early yesterday to drop by the bookstore and wtf. You definitely wouldn't know that our bball team just won the ACCCG and was getting ready to play in the NCAA tournament. No special shirts. No special hats. There wasn't even much bball specific stuff in general. Just the crappy generic stuff they've been selling for years. They had a single small rack with the crappy Walmart feeling Adidas replica jerseys and some Vineyard Vines basketball themed shirts. Wtf.

I just don't get it. I've been seriously disappointed with the selection in our bookstore for a LONG time now. They've really been pushing the exact same stuff for 10+ years. We got a few new things with the Adidas deal, but most of the Adidas stuff they make available is crap. Then there's the fact that you wouldn't even know we were an Adidas sponsored team as an outsider. There's as much, if not more, Nike, Under Armour, Champion, Antigua, etc stuff as there is Adidas. Having multiple brands is fine, but Adidas should be the dominant force.

Not moving the basketball stuff to the front, not having ACC Champions shirts, not even having any kind of signage about the ACCCG or March Madness just really pissed me off. If this were something new, sure, blame COVID, but this is the way our bookstore has been for 10+ years now. Is it the B&N Ownership? Is it whoever is running the place? Who do we need to yell at to get something done about this?

The Jacket

The Coat
I can't say for sure that this is the reason, but for the 03-04 season, the hype started very early with the Preseason NIT win against UConn, and got way hot with our undefeated run through the rest of 2003, when we were ranked like #3 or #4 . I think maybe the hype machine just had more time and reason to get in gear?

The Jacket

The Coat
With that said, some of what you describe does sound like poor management by the store. There should be some hint of this major thing that's happening.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
I remember being a senior in high school for the 2004 bball season and heading to campus to load up on Tech basketball gear - especially late in the season/for march madness. There was seemingly tons of stuff and it was all up front ready to go. I remember getting a gold "official" jersey with stitched on letters and numbers. I remember getting "going dancing" shirts and hats.

I left work early yesterday to drop by the bookstore and wtf. You definitely wouldn't know that our bball team just won the ACCCG and was getting ready to play in the NCAA tournament. No special shirts. No special hats. There wasn't even much bball specific stuff in general. Just the crappy generic stuff they've been selling for years. They had a single small rack with the crappy Walmart feeling Adidas replica jerseys and some Vineyard Vines basketball themed shirts. Wtf.

I just don't get it. I've been seriously disappointed with the selection in our bookstore for a LONG time now. They've really been pushing the exact same stuff for 10+ years. We got a few new things with the Adidas deal, but most of the Adidas stuff they make available is crap. Then there's the fact that you wouldn't even know we were an Adidas sponsored team as an outsider. There's as much, if not more, Nike, Under Armour, Champion, Antigua, etc stuff as there is Adidas. Having multiple brands is fine, but Adidas should be the dominant force.

Not moving the basketball stuff to the front, not having ACC Champions shirts, not even having any kind of signage about the ACCCG or March Madness just really pissed me off. If this were something new, sure, blame COVID, but this is the way our bookstore has been for 10+ years now. Is it the B&N Ownership? Is it whoever is running the place? Who do we need to yell at to get something done about this?
It is not just the bookstore. There is not a lot of Adidas merchandise available period. I do not understand why Adidas does not want to sell their products.

GTWakeinsnow

Varsity Lurker
Are you talking about B&N or the Engineering bookstore? B&N has it online. It’s probably just a lag in shipping to the store.

GTWakeinsnow

Varsity Lurker

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
Are you talking about B&N or the Engineering bookstore? B&N has it online. It’s probably just a lag in shipping to the store.

Engineer’s Bookstore has been closed for years. The B&N, the official GT bookstore, is it for in-person shopping. I assume there’s a shipping lag, probably exacerbated by Covid, but it is disappointing that they can’t get ACC champs shirts in there in a timely fashion.

JRjr

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
Combination of the stagnation of the program and the difference in the retail environment.

In 2004 the team had hype and the retail model in general was "stock the bookstore with a bunch of stuff and hope people will buy it."

This year the team had no hype and the retail model is "we have a ton of data and know exactly what to make to maximize profit and also very few people shop at bookstores anymore."

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like

Not having the ACCCG swag is one thing, but the more disappointing thing here is the lack of effort to even move basketball themed stuff at the most exciting moment in the program in 10+ years. Not to mention just celebrating and supporting the team. The place has just been stagnant and uninspired for too long.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
Combination of the stagnation of the program and the difference in the retail environment.

In 2004 the team had hype and the retail model in general was "stock the bookstore with a bunch of stuff and hope people will buy it."

This year the team had no hype and the retail model is "we have a ton of data and know exactly what to make to maximize profit and also very few people shop at bookstores anymore."
While all of that makes sense, I've been in bookstores of even less "hyped" schools, that were far less stale than ours.

Not to mention, EVERY tech fan I talk to just wants some new merch. There is literally zero effort to put anything new in that place. I live nearby and go in every 3 months or so and have for probably the last 10 years. The merch is essentially the same stuff. Of course nobody is buying the stuff they didn't buy ten years ago.

Part of the failure is Adidas for not putting out the merch, but I blame management for the lack of effort in that place. Other than switching the sides the of the books and the clothes, it's just stagnant. I used to think it being a B&N was good thing, but now I'm thinking that's why it lacks personality and has fallen stagnant.

The Champ

Dodd-Like
Not having the ACCCG swag is one thing, but the more disappointing thing here is the lack of effort to even move basketball themed stuff at the most exciting moment in the program in 10+ years. Not to mention just celebrating and supporting the team. The place has just been stagnant and uninspired for too long.
Our program has been stagnant and uninspired for a decade; they’ve probably been unsuccessfully trying to unload basketball gear at 75% discounts for the better part of 10 years. Not hard to see why they would not be racing to stock physical shelves with hoops gear, especially during a pandemic when foot traffic is ~ 25% of normal. Hell; 8 weeks ago we were looking at firing our coach if he didn’t go on a magical run and get us in the tourney.

Note: I bought an ACC Champs shirt Sunday morning; arrives Thursday. No issues.

GTWakeinsnow

Varsity Lurker
Engineer’s Bookstore has been closed for years. The B&N, the official GT bookstore, is it for in-person shopping. I assume there’s a shipping lag, probably exacerbated by Covid, but it is disappointing that they can’t get ACC champs shirts in there in a timely fashion.

JRjr
Noooooooo. Damn that sucks. Showing my age I guess.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
Our program has been stagnant and uninspired for a decade; they’ve probably been unsuccessfully trying to unload basketball gear at 75% discounts for the better part of 10 years. Not hard to see why they would not be racing to stock physical shelves with hoops gear, especially during a pandemic when foot traffic is ~ 25% of normal. Hell; 8 weeks ago we were looking at firing our coach if he didn’t go on a magical run and get us in the tourney.

Note: I bought an ACC Champs shirt Sunday morning; arrives Thursday. No issues.
Move = move to front of store - as in effort, as in the bare minimum a store should do, much less the bookstore of a school. Hell, Dick's Sporting Goods put more effort into moving our merch. I ended up buying Adidas stuff from there (that was in the front of the store. weird) that I couldn't even get at my own bookstore.

The Jacket

The Coat
I definitely get what you mean. I graduated HS in 2005, so we experienced that era at about the same age and you are right: going to the book store around that time, the merchandise and decor were current to whatever was going on with the teams, and generally it felt like the place had a vibe to match as a result. Of course, that was bound to suffer as a result of the shift away from retail stores, but the place also doesn't have to feel completely sterile and soulless, if a little effort is put in.

The only responses you're likely to get in this thread are tools who scoff at people who don't do things the way they do, when they do them. And enjoying things they don't enjoy? What are you, one of them gays?

The Champ

Dodd-Like
Move = move to front of store - as in effort, as in the bare minimum a store should do, much less the bookstore of a school. Hell, Dick's Sporting Goods put more effort into moving our merch. I ended up buying Adidas stuff from there (that was in the front of the store. weird) that I couldn't even get at my own bookstore.
Damn you’ve been in more retail stores in 1 day than I’ve been to in 1 year

But yea relocating merch would be easy

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
Competition helps. The Barnes and Noble monopoly leaves little incentive to compete for buyers. The official bookstore at East Carolina, Dowdy Student Stores, is now run by Barnes and Noble but has a private competitor for textbooks, clothes and all things ECU - University Book Exchange. Throw in another private business adjacent to the campus, Stadium Sports, selling Pirate gear. With those three options I can get far better ECU gifts for my family than GT gifts. Each of those three stores carries a better inventory than B&N GT.

ClubSeats

Employee of the Month

Have you ever looked at the way our fans dress? Because that explains it.

OptionJacket

Varsity Lurker
The bookstore is just awful. I’ve had $500 in my hideaway spot in my wallet for years waiting to give it to the bookstore every time I’m in Atlanta. Other than an Adidas hat here and there the money is still in my wallet. Every other school bookstore would be blasting you with ACC Champs gear. It’s just sad at this point. And the store itself has zero life and enthusiasm. Taking campus tours the last 2 years with high schoolers, I’ve been to bookstores at Auburn, UGA (wanted to puke), Bama, Duke, UNC, and Clemson. They were all fun and vibrant even during Covid. Ours is like blah. I’m convinced no one at GT other than Collins and now Pastner knows anything about marketing. I can get product to NYC tomorrow but they can’t get in $2 T-shirts that would sell for $30. It’s not that they can’t it’s that they don’t care.