GT Clothing/Bookstore/Russell Athletic rant contained inside!

BEESerk

Flats Noob
While I was down at campus today, I went and toured Technology Suare. Impressive! Our manangement school is sitting high on the hog now! Everything looks great, and we all should be proud to have the management school and ATDC be the anchors for that area.

So I went to the bookstore to check out the clothing, and to try and find a dang book on Suse.

Why in the hell did we have a committee choose "official" school colors when no one will even use them????

I started counting how many different shades of Gold/Yellow they were selling. I stopped counting after the 10th one.

I then found the display for the "2003 Coach's Hats". Great! I thought to myself. I picked one up to try on, and what do I see plastered on the side of it???? The $#^&*(# Russel logo. I am not going to be a walking billboard for Russell. I am paying for a hat with GT on it, nothing else. Maybe if it was a small logo in the very back, I could live with it. However, a prominent logo on the side?
pat.gif

Bookstore was nice, and I had a good cup of coffee from the Starbucks. Maybe one day, we will actually have clothing that conforms to school colors.

Beeserk...

Bummer about your trip to the bookstore...

The "official" committeee colors were picked by an Athletic Association committee, not an Institute. There's a mini-war b/t AA and Alumni Association...I read the statements from the YMCA Bldg.

Every thing you buy has someone's logo on it somewhere. Yes, the Russell logo is huge, but so is the Nike logo....It's called branding.
Gotta get it out there for people to see.

If you want no visible logo...you'll have to get a Zephyr hat from lids....the logo is still conspicuous.

I was there for the grand opening....the Nike logo merchandise may appear when all the other stuff is bought up.

Bite the bullet and buy it online like those of outside the ATL.

Oh, I forgot one thing I did buy.

They had a cool GT dog collar. My Rottie is trotting around the house right now with it!

First of all, I understand not wanting to be a walking billboard for anyone - but why pick on Russell? Nike is probably the worst at that.

As an aside, I once refused to buy a car because it had one of those annoying dealer decals on it. I told the salesman I wanted $2500 off the car for advertising for them. Of course he refused, so I told him to take the decal off. Again he refused, so I walked.

Back to GT and Russell...I don't know why everyone blames Russell for everything. I'm very far from being a Braine basher, but I lay this at the feet of the GTAA. If Russell is not providing the colors or quantities or quality we want, we should be getting rid of them. Do we know for sure that anyone at the GTAA has met with Russell and said "THIS is what I want"? If the answer is no, it's the GTAA fault. If the answer is yes, there is one more question. Are we getting what we said we want? If the answer is yes, it's still the GTAA fault. If the answer is no it's the GTAA fault for not enforcing what they said they want!

Do we really think that a company as large as Russell is incapable of providing us what we want? Would they purposely not provide us what we want for some reason? They do pretty well for Auburn don't they? Why would they want to pick on us? What have they to gain?

I don't see how it can be anyone's fault other than the GTAA.

Beeserk,

I share your pain. I thought I posted the following here as well as the Hive about a week ago; maybe just the Hive:

/Quote/

Hi fellow Tech fans,

Just returned from moving my son's stuff into Glenn Hall. While we were on campus we took a tour of the new book store ( 5th street); a very nice Barns & Noble complete with a Starbucks (sp?). Across the street is a new GT hotel (so OF and others traveling a long way to the games can stay on campus).

Anyway, there were tons of the un-official hats, shirts sweaters in khaki, medium blue, navy, gray, white, yellow, cheddar, and the dark gold with white GT hats that the coaches wore last year.

In a small separate section were the "official coaches 2003 hats". The colors were white with a navy GT, navy with a white GT and gold with a navy GT. Edit: youngest son tells me the gold hat has "black" GT not Navy (darn these reading glasses)

The gold is much lighter than last years coaches hat, and IMO much better looking.

I did not see any other merchandise in the store in "official" colors.

I hope we fill BDS with the "official gold" hats so on TV they will know who we are cheering for.

Go Jackets!!!!

/end Quote/

Now I have a problem with this, and I think we all should. When UGA shows up for a game at grant field we know the fans will be wearing RED, blood red; not light red, orange, pink, or maroon. When NC shows up it will be sky blue, not medium blue, dark blue or gray. When FSU shows up we know they will be decked out in well, dark maroon; not blood red, orange or tangerine.

See where I'm heading?

When we show up, it’s NAVY!, GRAY!, KHAKI!, CHEADDAR!, YELLOW!, BLUE!, BLACK!, LIGHT GOLD, DARK GOLD!

I'm glad we have standardized the colors, but as fans we need to show our colors so there is never any doubt ( until they read our postings anyway) that we are all TECH FANS!

Let's all wear GOLD! as our dominate color to the games starting with BYU.

'71, I agree with you.
There is likely a simple answer to "why the vast inventory of different shades of gold"

personally, I think its a difficult color to make look good (like the helmet) on cotton or wool. The number of different shades available probably indicates that Tech has been trying to find the one shade that appeals to all. This could be the reason you also see so much Navy Blue. The problem is that they have been adding to the options of gold instead of replacing.

The shade of this years "coaches gold" suits me very well. I would like it if all other shades of gold were sacked.

Until there is but one option, we will continue to look like a PMS color matching book.

Oh well, at least they are getting the name right. My first job out of Tech landed me in So. California for two years. As I was desperately hunting for anything TECH, I finally found a hat that read "Georgia Tech University". Of course it was not an official cap, but
I bought it, and then mailed it to Tech asking
wtf.gif
Unfortunately I did not get an answer.

Originally posted by LLCoolJacket:
'71, I agree with you.
There is likely a simple answer to "why the vast inventory of different shades of gold"

personally, I think it’s a difficult color to make look good (like the helmet) on cotton or wool. The number of different shades available probably indicates that Tech has been trying to find the one shade that appeals to all. This could be the reason you also see so much Navy Blue. The problem is that they have been adding to the options of gold instead of replacing.

The shade of this years "coaches gold" suits me very well. I would like it if all other shades of gold were sacked.

Until there is but one option, we will continue to look like a PMS color matching book.

Oh well, at least they are getting the name right. My first job out of Tech landed me in So. California for two years. As I was desperately hunting for anything TECH, I finally found a hat that read "Georgia Tech University". Of course it was not an official cap, but
I bought it, and then mailed it to Tech asking
wtf.gif
Unfortunately I did not get an answer.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">LLCJ,

We are not a technical school for nuttin. When the committee approved the "official" colors they delved into the details, naming specific color ids for each color. These were posted some time ago on the Hive; perhaps someone remembers.

But anyway, the details are there for manufactures to follow and get it right. Now perhaps some of the manufactures would rather not get it right; lot's of old inventory, not "officially" licensed merchandise.

This I can understand, but I have a real hard time understanding why the Georgia Tech bookstore is the last place to find the "official" colors.

Meanwhile, wear some shade of gold on game days….

I'm just guessing, but I have a strong suspicion the person who orders merchandise has no clue, and gained their position by stocking books and other stuff. So when the clothing reps come in they take orders instead of giving them.

Obviously, some nitwits continue to buy the orange looking gold, the pee yellow and other aberrations of our colors. But then again, maybe they just don't get it.

Last winter people bombarded Braine with emails. I would guess by posts I have read that with the two primary websites, a similar campaign could get some change.

Again, my guess is the person running the ship over there is doing this out of pure ignorance, not some persnal like for canary yellow. Let's all voice our preference for limiting the gold to Old, or at least limiting the shades to 2 instead of a dozen. Call and email away once we find out who runs the place!

anyone know where i can get an actual russell jersey?

i prefer online with overnight, but i cant find anywhere.

I actually talked to B&N's buyer for all the GT branded stuff. I was a little bummed that there aren't more "cool" hats. She said she's EXTREMELY pickly about the merchandise, and has to send a bunch of stuff back because the logo is wrong, or there's some other error. Plus, they can't order any New Era hats because of some child-labor thing.

So, she's definitely on the ball. I'm not sure about the whole "which gold is which" issue. I think until there's some kind of absolute agreement on which scheme is official, she can't really be that demanding from suppliers. But she is definitely passionate about what she does. She didn't go to GT, but has become a huge fan because, however goes the team, so goes their merchandise biz.

Everyone,

Even though the new colors were approved last fall, the changes will not go into effect until September 2004 so that the current merchandize can be unloaded.

Here is the link:
http://cyberbuzz.gatech.edu/technique/issues/fall2002/2002-11-01/2.html

I hope everyone will do their best to wear gold to the games, otherwise I'm afraid we will be drowned in a sea of red, maroon, blue, orange when visitors flood the stadium.

Back