GT finished last in ACC in NACDA Director's Cup

ncjacket

Dodd-Like
Re: GT finished last in ACC in NACDA Director\'s Cup

Actually think we participate in 4 fall sports, M&W CC have their championships then. Do we even give scholarships in CC?

Who cares.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
Actually think we participate in 4 fall sports, M&W CC have their championships then. Do we even give scholarships in CC?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I thought Cross Country was winter...
Anyway...we may not fully fund CC.
W Basketball wasn't fully funded until 2 or 3 years ago. Amazingly, that also corresponed with the team having double digit winning totals.

Though we have had outstanding individual athletes in the non-revs...Linda Lisska comes to mind, all of the Track gold medalists...

GT finished last in ACC in NACDA Director\'s Cup

This is the system used to determine the overall best sports department in the country. The Director's Cup is usually won by Stanford. I realize that we're not going to break into anybody's Top25, but last in the ACC?
Is this because GT just doesn't offer enough mens & womens sports to get enough pts to rise above 9th or is it that GT just does not do well enough? It appears that winning the conference baseball & volleyball championships should have pulled us up, but that doesn't count in nat'l rankings. How could we possibly finish behind Duke & Wake Forest & Maryland?
Hard to believe that based on the Directors Cup pt system Ga Tech has a worse overall sports department than WF. Here's a link to a VT article discussing that VT will have to raise their minor sports an eschelon to compete in the ACC & GT's last place finish in the ACC in the Dir Cup. Btw, GT finished about 60 places ahead of VT in the Directors Cup:

GT last in ACC in Director's Cup

Looking for more....

The points are only based on performance at NCAA championships.

We only compete in 2 sports in the fall term(FB,VB)

We only compete in half the eligible sports in winter.

We only compete in 2/3 of the eligible sports in Spring.

The only way to do better is put more money into our Non-rev sports, but then we'd have to have more A-T donations than we currently do. Only a small percentage of our fanbase "contributes"

What do you want to hear?
Tech Sucks at everything, we should drop all sports. I heard that in Athens all the freaking time.

How many sports does the rest of the conference participate?

Originally posted by General Wood:
How many sports does the rest of the conference participate?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">It depends on each school.
UNC competes in 28 varsity sports
Let me look around...

Update:

Based on each schools Athletic Website and in order of Sears Cup final standings:

8 UNC 26 sports
19 Virginia 22 sports
21 Duke 24 sports
22 Maryland 23 sports
32 Wake Forest 16 sports
38 FSU 17 sports
43 NCSU 20 sports
48 Clemson 15 sports
53 GT 15 sports

The outlier is NCSU which actually competes in 22 sports but Rifle doesn't receive points.
I don't know how to go into a sport by sport breakdown of performance, but of 6 elibile fall sports we only play two. If you don't play you can't make the NCAA tourney, which means if FB doesn't make top 25 we only get about 40 points out of the fall.

Conferernce standing does not matter, only NCAA tournament standing.
We only need one nationally prominent non-rev sport to do well, as the GymDawgs have proven.

Back