GT Football (and other sports) taking Election Day Off

gtrower

Dodd-Like
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-basketball-other-teams-practice-election-day

Nine Georgia Tech teams, including football and men's and women's basketball, will take the day off from mandatory activities on Election Day as a way to encourage their student-athletes to vote.

The idea came from men's basketball assistant Eric Reveno, who last week tweeted about an NCAA day off on Nov. 3. The men's and women's basketball teams led the initiative, and the other Georgia Tech teams that have in-season activities followed suit. That also includes volleyball, men's swimming and diving, men's tennis, women's tennis, men's indoor track and field and women's indoor track and field. The women's swimming and diving team has a meet scheduled for that day but is working to reschedule.

Georgia Tech football has a game against Duke on Nov. 7.

"I am very proud of our student-athletes and coaches for identifying a great way that they can take action to make a difference in our communities and society," Georgia Tech athletics director Todd Stansbury said in a statement. "As part of our mission of developing young people in all aspects of their lives, I feel that it is our responsibility to provide student-athletes with an environment that promotes civic duty. Through our Total Person Program, we will educate student-athletes on how to register to vote and provide them with resources that will allow them to gain a greater understanding of the issues before they fill out their ballots. I applaud everyone that is a part of this initiative."

Gonzaga coach Mark Few said Wednesday he also will cancel all team activities on Election Day as a result of Reveno's idea.

Also Wednesday, the Missouri football team walked from campus to the courthouse, where they took a collective knee for 8 minutes, 46 seconds to honor the life of George Floyd and demand justice. In addition, 62 players registered to vote.

Chattanooga Jacket

Damn Good Rat
I saw a really dumb comment on Facebook about this. The idiot somehow turned the right/ability to vote into a political agenda instigated by GT.

HurricaneJacket

Flats Noob
Good on all of them! Just make sure to take the time to do your due dilligence and look at candidates voting records, stances, etc... Voting requires effort to be done well, and when its not done well we run the risk of losing the privledge. I love our coaches for championing this!

texstinger

Dodd-Like
What does "provide them with resources that will allow them to gain a greater understanding of the issues" mean or entail?

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Unless they are calling Atlanta home won't they have to absentee ballot anyway?
They can vote absentee in their home district or change their residence. I did the former when I was in school.

It's a gesture to show we want them to be heard.

swampsting

Now with incredulous facial expression
They can vote absentee in their home district or change their residence. I did the former when I was in school.

It's a gesture to show we want them to be heard.
they still have to register, if they have not done so
Someone needs to make sure 1) that they are registered and 2) where they are registered and 3) if registered at home, show them the absentee ballot process
It’s a noble idea
But there’s still a lot of stuff to get done with it