GT football - facts, opinions and myths

GTnut

Varsity Lurker
Facts -
1. DB hired CG. He knew going in that CG would not be available until after the end of the NFL season. Therefore, the short time to select a staff, recruit, etc would all likely hurt the results in these areas.
2. Determining which members of the previous FB staff to retain and getting the right ones would be difficult for CG to do in the time required. CG had to rely on DB, Larry New and others he trusted for input. BOB and GS were kept. I assume continuity of the offense (perceived by most to be very good or better), and a former GT coach with ties to Georgia and Georgia recruiting had to be big factors. Those staff members not retained did their best to get even by hurting our recruting of players they had pursued.
3. DB hired our Stength and Conditioning Coach who also reports to DB. He had previously been at WF and was the ACC SC Coach of the year. Interesting that when Grobe arrived at WF, he did not like the OL conditioning (said they were too fat and too slow)
4. When CG's choic for DC got knocked out in Resume scandal # xxx, DB's ties to Tenuta brought him on board as CG's DC.
4. CG came in with a returning 2nd team QB, who had not gotten many reps, a xfr JR and 2 FR. Based on reps, assessment by BOB and CG, the returning QB left.
5. Based on spring and spring final scrimmage, it appeared we had two good QBs with AJ definitely holding the upper hand.
6. CG has been a winner whereever he has been. Not always a big winner, but he did get a DIV 2 National Championship and made NFL playoffs as a Head Coach.
Opinions -
1. With all of the uncertainty of staff, BOB flirting with NFL, loss of selected DC, CG was put in a position where he felt he had to or was told to make BOB OC, Asst HC, and QB coach to retain him. Based on AJ's lack of progress and no perceived development of DB, this decision was bad. BOB has NO experience in developing a new QB or even coaching one until after Ralph left. With Godsey, he already had a QB who was equal to a Coach in our system. CG has to know this was a bad decision, and the move of BOB to the box, PN on the sideline is part of an adjustment to help.
2. Tenuta for all his perceived brilliance, took the UNC defense and lost to GT and several others. His aggressive get after it approach is fun to watch, fun to play and has an awful lot going for it. However, when an offense like WF that is very disciplined, an offense like UGAG and Fresno State says we are going to come right at you, stop us if you can, we can't. Likewise, he is suppose to be great at coaching DBs, our DB position coach is suppose to be very good, but yet our CBs and Ss show serious weaknesses in technique and execution. Tenuta, who has no specific position to coach, certainly has time to help a position coach if it is needed. Or is he spending his time looking for the next job?
3. I disagree with most of you who think CG shows no sign of emotion or passion. I have seen several times this year, that I thought he was about to burst into tears, and others when I thought he was about to tear people apart. I think he has demonstrated an unbelievable ability to hold it in, but I think it has really gotten to him. I think the local media's back biting, misquoting, and stabs have resulted in him virtually telling them nothing and basically giving direct answers to questions. I think the negative reaction by GT fans to the media BS, keeps him from saying much to the fans as well.
4. I think last year's recruiting class will turn out to be very good, and based on the situation be great. It looks like this year's recruiting class will have some talent. We'll have to wait and see.
5. I think CG and DB will definitely have some discussions after the recruiting season. However, I am one that believes CG will be the person to set some mandates. CG is ultimately the person who will be judged based on our FB success or failure. I believe CG will require what is necessary for him to do it his way; time will tell.
6. By the way, I think I see why Pat Carter was quoted as saying CG wanted his verbal made purblic to help attract some WRs. I don't think AJ and DB have many WR recruits lined up at the door.

Sorry GTNut... your analysis of Tenuta is seriously flawed...
YOu make exceptions for CG and his recruiting classes coming in but judge Tenuta on the Defensive backs that he was given... he has produced more NFL DB's in the past 10 years than any other defensive coach at the Div I level so I think he should be allowed a pass considering the stable he inherited.
Did you realize that the defense allowed only 6 points in the first half while being on the field more than 20 minutes... the O line at FSU averaged over 320 pounds and those conditions were perfect for their offense and our 'D' played as well as anyone could have expected...
Lets review... play in mud drenched uniform, be pounded on by someone that is nearly 75 pounds heavier than you, continually stop the opposing team only to have your offense turn the ball over and you have to return to the field before you've had a chance to talk to your position coach about adjustments, hold the opposing team to only 2 field goals then have it all erased on one stupid play...
You tell me where is the motivation to return in the second half and continue to have your hat handed to you when the other side of the team is under achieving??? This happened twice this season UMd and yesterday... IMO the 'D' saved this season for TECH or there would have been some serious losses... Please look at the list of preseason candidates for all conference DB's... I don't recall Muyres being listed but I could be wrong... either way Tenuta took a very average defense that used to play along side a very good offense and turned them into the strength of the team...
Tenuta may very well move on from here but he's the very last coach to be pointing fingers at at this time...

You're right about our D, casbah62, they played their hearts out and kept us in range down to the end.

Cashah62, I didn't make excuses for CG for anything. The part about the recriting, et al was fact. Do you dispute it, it is not an excuse for anyone.
My assessment of Tenuta is "opinion." Your comments about him developing more....... is interesting. Is that fact or opinion - if you think it is fact, please support it. Now if you want to say he coached more at some point during their career, maybe that is a fact, but I'm not even sure of that. How many of these DBs did he recruit, coach from FR through SR year? Heck, he has been at only one school for that long, I believe. How many of those DBs, especailly, the ones who were at Ohio St, came in as HS AA and continued on in college. I think it was O'Leary who said anybody can coach the cream of the crop, it takes a coach to develop talent. Did he coach DBs at UNC last year? Did you see any major improvement in them.
How about this year, did you see any improvement in our DBs. By the way, Muyres was all-ACC last year and this. I hope you weren't inferring that Tenuta helped develop him.
Now, let's not let the fact that our defense has heart, that the LBs in paticular are the heart of the D, that they give it their all and have held us in games - which are all true - cloud any of the issues on which I commented. Did Tenuta go to 5 man lines, do a lot of smart substituting on the DL or with the LB to try and keep them fresh, did you see improvement amongst our DBs
Was Koon, Johnson, Billie, Brown, Anyansi, so bad that they couldn't be inserted from time to time to take some of the reps and save the energy of the starters for late in the game when they ended up being worn out. And, one other thing, my comments are not based on the FS game, but on the whole season.
I certainly identified my opinions as just that and you can certainly have yours. However, don't give me some crap about excusing CG, which I didn't do. And don't give me some hype about Tenuta's prowess as if it were fact. If you want to say, you think he improved our DB play, or what he did to stop WF or lines where we were overmatched physically, which is where I directed my comment, more power to you, but let's not ramble about the D beig the heart and soul and holding us in, et al. Heck if we accept the fact that we can't play good D against teams that overmatch us physically, then let's just mail in our games against Aub, UGAG, FSU, UVA, Maryland for next year. That way we can at least prevent injuries, players from getting worn down and hopefully win the rest of the games. Hell, if we accept that maybe Ted Roof should have been the best DC in the country.

With ya on the Defensive substitution pattern. As the year wore on we used our top 11 more and more. Were our 2nd teamers tha bad? If so, then look for a definte drop-off in 2003.

Back