GT football honored for graduation rates

Axe

Flats Noob
http://ramblinwreck.ocsn.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/061803aaa.html

GT honored for graduating over 70% of players from 97-98 school year. It just goes to show you what a joke these statistics are. O'Leary was blamed for not graduating players. Looks like some of his early classes did pretty well on the field or in the classroom.

I noticed that President Clough praised Carol Moore for this. I thought we changed the system because it was broken? I hate BS politics.

Oh excuse me Axe, didn't you know you are not suppose talk O'Leary here - glad this was brought up, even Chan brought it up in Feb. of 2002 - praised his predecessor, said he got a "bum rap"!

Let's see now, about the graduating classes of 97-98, who recruited these athletes and brought them into the system?

If Bill Lewis recruited and had a group of football players in February of 1994, these players would have been freshmen starting in the fall of 1994, his last year.

Sept. 94 - June 95 Freshmen
Sept. 95 - June 96 Sophomores
Sept. 96 - June 97 Juniors
Sept. 97 - June 98 Seniors

So, the seniors, who graduated in June of 98 were all recruited by Bill Lewis. That also means the seniors of 97 were recruited by Bill Lewis.

That means O'Leary's first recruits would have graduated in June of 1999 and there after. I believe MasterB said we lost 35 players from the football team during the years of 1999, 2000, and 2001 due to failures and transfers.

These were truly O'Leary's recruits. How was the graduation rate for his recruits for 99, 00, and O1? Anyone have graduation rates for those years. How about the graduation rates for 02 and 03, these were also O'Leary recruits.

It is always best to keep things in the proper perspective. Anyone have any graduation rates for the players recruited by O'Leary?

wink.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Let's see now, about the graduating classes of 97-98, who recruited these athletes and brought them into the system?

If Bill Lewis recruited and had a group of football players in February of 1994, these players would have been freshmen starting in the fall of 1994, his last year.

Sept. 94 - June 95 Freshmen
Sept. 95 - June 96 Sophomores
Sept. 96 - June 97 Juniors
Sept. 97 - June 98 Seniors

So, the seniors, who graduated in June of 98 were all recruited by Bill Lewis. That also means the seniors of 97 were recruited by Bill Lewis.

That means O'Leary's first recruits would have graduated in June of 1999 and there after. I believe MasterB said we lost 35 players from the football team during the years of 1999, 2000, and 2001 due to failures and transfers.

These were truly O'Leary's recruits. How was the graduation rate for his recruits for 99, 00, and O1? Anyone have graduation rates for those years. How about the graduation rates for 02 and 03, these were also O'Leary recruits.

It is always best to keep things in the proper perspective. Anyone have any graduation rates for the players recruited by O'Leary?

wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">They were in school under the O'Leary regime and maintained there academic status to succeed, enoough said - look what happened while Chan is here - 10 gone - Chan's watch! My suggestion to you, ask Chan about this - he probably tell you what he said that night!

I might be wrong about this, but I believe the article refers to freshmen entering school for the '97-'98 school not those graduating that year. Not taking sides here just making a point.

Cbre, you might be right. I don't know myself. I did go back and reread the original post and see where I missed a point.

I thought it was for two years, but it was for only one year Sept. 97 - June 98. If your premise is correct, that would be the graduating class of 01, which was his last year here.

Since he recruited a class in February of 01, the last class of graduates from GOL's recruits would be June of 05. So, that would make the 35 departures in his last three years of 99-01 affect the graduating classes of 03-05, maybe.

I would still be interested in the figures for the year 02 and 03. If anyone can come up with the figures for 04 and 05, please send me an Email. My retirement funds need a lot of tweaking.

wink.gif

Alright, so now we definitely know that its possible to have decent athletics and really good academics. Can we please stop talking about adding wussy majors? Yeah, yeah, the new NCAA rules will hurt a bit, but Tech is the place where you ask for the most on and off the field.

We don't need any Carol Moores in the GTAA, hopefully Chan can do an O'leary impression and stay on the SAs butts and get them to class.

These stats are for the incoming 97-98 school year class. George Godsey, Matvay, Kemble, Gregory, Miller, Kryson, etc.

The bad news is the '98-'99 class is going to look awful. A small group that was cleaned out pretty quick, mainly cause the kids couldn't play at this level.

Back