GT - FSU Stat Comparison

GoGATech

Big Dummy
I don't think you can call it a "domination" because the game was close, but based on the stat line, we sure seemed to have the upper edge against FSU for the majority of the game, even though the score didn't show it until late. If we can clean up the special teams and Freshman mistakes, we'll have a chance to be in every game we play. I was extremely impressed with our defense after they settled down.

Drive Comparison:

GT Drives:
11 plays / 53 yards - Interception
5 plays / 27 yards - Punt
11 plays / 74 yards - Missed FG
8 plays / 46 yards - Interception
4 plays / 1 yard - Missed FG
6 plays / 18 yards - Punt
14 plays / 80 yards - TD
8 plays / 72 yards - TD
4 plays / -4 yards - FG
4 plays / 2 yards - Punt

10 possessions (I didn't count the kneel down possession at end of game): 7.5 plays / 36.9 yd per possession

FSU Drives:
7 plays / 52 yards - TD
11 plays / 61 yards - FG
3 plays / 2 yards - Punt
3 plays / -6 yards - Interception
3 plays / 4 yards - Punt
10 plays / 48 yards - Missed FG
11 plays / 25 yards - Punt
13 plays / 35 yards - FG
6 plays / -23 yards - Fumble
12 plays / 44 yards - Fumble
4 plays / 8 yards - Turnover on Downs

11 possessions: 7.5 plays / 22.8 yd per possession

I understand FSU's offense is the weaker unit but I was still impressed with our defense. After the first two drives of the game, we did not allow FSU into the red zone again. The closest they got was to our 29 on the possession they kicked the long FG. We made it into the red zone 5 times. Scored 2 TD's, 1 FG, had 1 FG blocked, and 1 INT. We were at the 21 when the 2nd FG was blocked, so almost 6 red zone possessions. Easily left 7 points on the board, if not more. We only punted 3 times. The first was after a 5 yard penalty put us behind the chains on 1st down. The 2nd was a 4th and 3 at the 50 yard line nearing the end of half. That's kind of a no-man's land punt, and easily a situation to go for it, but the half was closing, FSU had a lead and was getting the ball, so correct call to try and pin them there. The last punt was on our last "real" possession when we were just trying to run the ball to kill clock and FSU was selling out to stop the run. Even though we had the turnovers and special teams issues, I was impressed with how easily we seemed to be able to move the ball on the highly touted FSU defensive front.

We beat them in total yardage 438 - 307
We beat them in passing yardage 277 - 198
We beat them in rushing yardage 161 - 109
We beat them in first downs 24 - 21
We beat them in 3rd down efficiency 8/16 - 6/17
We beat them in 4th down efficiency 1/1 - 3/5
We won the turnover battle 3 - 2
All of this and we were basically even on TOP 29:28 - 30:32

We would've been on top in TOP as well if not for the strip sack and subsequent FG. That and they used 3 timeouts on us in our final drive.

We beat them in total yardage 438 - 307
We beat them in passing yardage 277 - 198
We beat them in rushing yardage 161 - 109
We beat them in first downs 24 - 21
We beat them in 3rd down efficiency 8/16 - 6/17
We beat them in 4th down efficiency 1/1 - 3/5
We won the turnover battle 3 - 2
It's nice when winning the stat battle actually translates to winning the game. Gives you faith in stats again.

It's nice when winning the stat battle actually translates to winning the game. Gives you faith in stats again.
That turnover stat was the key to the game, IMO. We were losing the turnover battle early and the score reflected that. Once we stopped turning the ball over and forced a few turnovers of our own, the game swung pretty significantly in our favor.

That turnover stat was the key to the game, IMO. We were losing the turnover battle early and the score reflected that. Once we stopped turning the ball over and forced a few turnovers of our own, the game swung pretty significantly in our favor.
I'm a little confused why they don't consider blocked/missed field goals on 4th down a turnover on downs. No points or punt should count as a turnover imo. That would tell the complete story without extra qualifiers.

I'm a little confused why they don't consider blocked/missed field goals on 4th down a turnover on downs. No points or punt should count as a turnover imo. That would tell the complete story without extra qualifiers.
Well FWIW, one of FSU's turnovers was the sack/fumble on 4th down that would've resulted in a turnover on downs anyway.

Well FWIW, one of FSU's turnovers was the sack/fumble on 4th down that would've resulted in a turnover on downs anyway.
So we had two 4th down stops (one of which Blackman fumbled and we recovered), a strip sack, and a pick as "turnovers". They had the two picks and two blocked fg's as "turnovers"

So the turnovers were essentially even at 4, but I guess turnover on downs aren't counted. Only reason the one on the 2nd to last drive on 4th down made the stats was because he fumbled and we recovered it, like you said.

I think we will understand this game much better after seeing how F$U does against a few more ACC teams. Right now, I don't think we really know how good the team we just beat really is. If they curb-stomp Miami then wow. If they get curb-stomped by Miami then hmmmm.

Miami plays Louisville this weekend so that will benchmark Miami and F$U plays Miami in 2 weeks. Of course, by then, we will have played UCF and @Syracuse which will also tell us a lot.

So by the evening of Sep 26, I think we will have a pretty good idea of where we stand.

Definitely an area we need to improve on... scoring in the red zone.

Believe we were one of the worst red zone teams in FBS last year. I’m glad we don’t have to play the “what if” game after FSU, but we’ve got to start capitalizing on our chances at some point.

I was thinking to myself that one of the great things about this win was that it wasn't fluky at all -- it was a straight-up win on the road against a heavily favored opponent. That's a big step for the CGC regime. I was also impressed with how Sims settled as the game progressed.

And what a pleasure it was to turn about almost 6 hours of F$U hype by the announcers, especially the "Norvell, Norvell, Norvell" narrative, to a smoking crater of ash.

I think we will understand this game much better after seeing how F$U does against a few more ACC teams. Right now, I don't think we really know how good the team we just beat really is. If they curb-stomp Miami then wow. If they get curb-stomped by Miami then hmmmm.

Miami plays Louisville this weekend so that will benchmark Miami and F$U plays Miami in 2 weeks. Of course, by then, we will have played UCF and @Syracuse which will also tell us a lot.

So by the evening of Sep 26, I think we will have a pretty good idea of where we stand.
A win is a win is a win. I don't see us winning out, but we didn't have one game last year equal to the game in Tallahassee. Improvement in many areas--especially the talent on the field--and we had some key guys missing. Leadership, coaching, organization all much better than last season.
Sims has that certain something that makes me think he will be a player that will take a team on his back and carry them to the end zone---maybe soon. We have four wins total with this staff---three from Florida teams with UCF on deck. Hmmmmm?

I was thinking to myself that one of the great things about this win was that it wasn't fluky at all -- it was a straight-up win on the road against a heavily favored opponent. That's a big step for the CGC regime. I was also impressed with how Sims settled as the game progressed.

And what a pleasure it was to turn about almost 6 hours of F$U hype by the announcers, especially the "Norvell, Norvell, Norvell" narrative, to a smoking crater of ash.
I hope them getting Norvell from a school like Memphis turns out like us getting Bill Lewis from East Carolina

I don’t. I hope it turns out they have a great year and we still went down there and beat them with a true freshman qb.

in fact, I hope all of the acc schools are good and we beat them.
Screw the ACC. I prefer we just take the Clemson route and be a head above everybody else.

Back