GT gets B1G offer

GT1992

Dodd-Like
How is GT a gamble but UNC is a solid pickup?

Also, UNC would never leave the rest of the NC basketball Mafia. The ACC exists for those for those guys.
Alumni and fan base?

33jacket

Dodd-Like
the thing is conf expansion isn't about and won't be about a schools fan base.

UNC has a larger fanbase in a super minor TV market, a super minor Big 10 alumn representation locally when compared to Atlanta, average recruiting region at best + the competition of 3 remaining ACC schools in the same minor tv market

The addition of UNC, sure, can happen. They have a solid set of athletic programs non-football.

But if you are the big 10; IMO trying to woo tech, that even though is in SEC country, has a much bigger growth potential than with UNC for the conf. It comes down to tv station demand for the big 10 network, a larger media market with a ton of alumn who would support the games and demand local tv outlets start carrying the big ten channel. Not to mention, you start showing yourself more to the GA/FL region and it can only help national recruiting.

So from a business view, to me Tech is more attractive. But, we all know tech and their unwillingness to be progressive. So if the big 10 HAS to find another school, it may not be tech, or unc, because unc has to go with duke. So now you start thinking of UVA.

gtphd

What a time to be alive
UNC has a larger fanbase in a super minor TV market, a super minor Big 10 alumn representation locally when compared to Atlanta, average recruiting region at best + the competition of 3 remaining ACC schools in the same minor tv market
My understanding of the BTN contract is that cable providers pay more per subscriber if a team is in your state. So it doesn't matter if they pick up UNC or Southwestern North Carolina A&M Technical Community College, the BTN gets paid the same.

If that's the case, Georgia is the #9 state in the country with 9.8 mil people, and NC is #10 with 9.7 mil people. No real difference in payout.

That said, there's no way UNC is leaving the rest of the Mafia. The State would even pass a law to prevent it if they tried.

msm5

Flats Noob
That said, there's no way UNC is leaving the rest of the Mafia. The State would even pass a law to prevent it if they tried.
While this is possible, is the state legislature dominates by UNC grads? If so, they might just look out for the UNC's interests.

gtphd

What a time to be alive
While this is possible, is the state legislature dominates by UNC grads? If so, they might just look out for the UNC's interests.
Their legislature is more balanced. Even so, many UNC fans would vote to keep them with Duke.

Buzzing72

Jolly Good Fellow
UNC to the big 10 is not happening. If there is any truth to any of this GT and UVA would be the teams.

gtphd

What a time to be alive
So from a business view, to me Tech is more attractive. But, we all know tech and their unwillingness to be progressive. So if the big 10 HAS to find another school, it may not be tech, or unc, because unc has to go with duke. So now you start thinking of UVA.
From a pure business view, UVA is more valuable than GT or UNC. VA is contiguous with the rest of the B1G, travel is easier, NOVA is a huge market that the BTN contract doesn't get with UMD, and it's an AAU school.

The downside? Take all the downsides of GT and multiple by 2.

33jacket

Dodd-Like
From a pure business view, UVA is more valuable than GT or UNC. VA is contiguous with the rest of the B1G, travel is easier, NOVA is a huge market that the BTN contract doesn't get with UMD, and it's an AAU school.

The downside? Take all the downsides of GT and multiple by 2.
disagree. A plane ride is a plane ride. Flights out of atlanta direct are alot cheaper than charlottesville. GT is a AAU school, and the passion for college football is much greater down here + the region has to offer.

just can agree to disagree here.

33jacket

Dodd-Like
My understanding of the BTN contract is that cable providers pay more per subscriber if a team is in your state. So it doesn't matter if they pick up UNC or Southwestern North Carolina A&M Technical Community College, the BTN gets paid the same.

If that's the case, Georgia is the #9 state in the country with 9.8 mil people, and NC is #10 with 9.7 mil people. No real difference in payout.

no what I am saying is the state and region demand to carry the network will be smaller in NC, therefore may never get widely adopted. Whereas in ATL, with a larger Big ten alumn and college football base of fans that still want it because it is now present in the region...its much more a sure bet and MUCH easier leverage to renegotiate a contract with Fox, or ESPN or whoever.

ScionOfSouthland

Dodd-Like
They are both lucrative for different reasons, can we stop measuring dicks now? Fact of the matter is that regardless of where UNC is, the public is aware that Tech has been in, at the least, talks.

Sent from my DeLorean using the Flux Capacitor

33jacket

Dodd-Like
They are both lucrative for different reasons, can we stop measuring dicks now? Fact of the matter is that regardless of where UNC is, the public is aware that Tech has been in, at the least, talks.

Sent from my DeLorean using the Flux Capacitor
wait dude, we are intelligently sharing our views. This isn't a battle of IQs. Its point counter point. I think it is a fun discussion.

For sure I learned NC has the same population as GA. Didn't know that.

AE 87

Dodd-Like
Just read that GT and UVA will accept invites and announce Monday. I'm on my phone so I can't link... if you follow Eric, he retweeted it.
Yeah some Kevin Jones guy tweeted it. This is a really stick your neck out type of story.

If UVA moves with us...I think the divisions would split up the newcomers rather than move Illinois. I think UVA and MD would be in the same division and us and Rutgers would be in the same division with us having UVA cross division and MD having Rutgers cross division or some combination thereof.

Either that or you keep the 4 newcomers together move wisconsin and Illinois and trade an Indiana school for Michigan State...but I don't know how well that would go over.

All this being said...I don't think any of this is true.
Kevin Jones is the sports blogger for the Washington DC CBS affiliate. He's actually got a sports journalism job for outfit that would care about UVA news. He's also reporting that VPI will fire their offensive coordinator.

Kevin Jones‏@Mr_KevinJones
Source: Georiga Tech and UVA will announce decision to leave ACC by Monday. Will join Big 10

David Glenn Show ‏@DavidGlennShow
@Mr_KevinJones that's a big story to break spelling one of the schools wrong, homey. Hope for your sake you're right but I doubt it.

Kevin Jones‏@Mr_KevinJones

@DavidGlennShow source too credible not to report it

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
It doesn't take any special access to know without a doubt that VT will fire their OC.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
UVA delivers what TV market? The DC metro? WTF did BIG take Md for?

My point is you can't compare GT-Atlanta to UVA-DC since BIG already has a DC team.

Having said that UVA is a total coup for them and one of the top four teams they would target (Texas, UNC, UVA, GT). Texas is a stretch which moves everyone else up.

gtphd

What a time to be alive
#11 alumni base is not the same as #11 fan base
Read the link. #11 fan base.

We're no where near the #11 alumni base with all of the 40,000 person schools out there.

gtphd

What a time to be alive
UVA delivers what TV market? The DC metro? WTF did BIG take Md for?

My point is you can't compare GT-Atlanta to UVA-DC since BIG already has a DC team.

Having said that UVA is a total coup for them and one of the top four teams they would target (Texas, UNC, UVA, GT). Texas is a stretch which moves everyone else up.
BTN contract means that you deliver your state, regardless of fans. UMD delivers MD. UVA delivers VA.

Similarly, Rutgers doesn't deliver NYC, only the NJ suburbs (granted, that's a lot of people).

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
If we're the #11 fan base, we're #1 in ööööty fans.