GT gets B1G offer

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
BTN contract means that you deliver your state, regardless of fans. UMD delivers MD. UVA delivers VA.

Similarly, Rutgers doesn't deliver NYC, only the NJ suburbs (granted, that's a lot of people).
It was pointed out earlier by a wise individual that contracts don't work like that.

If it did surely they would add Rice and Some Cal school.

BIG network had full leverage in the midwest, and still does. They don't have the same in Jersey or MD, and they won't in GA or VA. UNC is a diff story.

brian22

Varsity Lurker
Kevin Jones is the sports blogger for the Washington DC CBS affiliate. He's actually got a sports journalism job for outfit that would care about UVA news. He's also reporting that VPI will fire their offensive coordinator.

Kevin Jones‏@Mr_KevinJones
Source: Georiga Tech and UVA will announce decision to leave ACC by Monday. Will join Big 10

David Glenn Show ‏@DavidGlennShow
@Mr_KevinJones that's a big story to break spelling one of the schools wrong, homey. Hope for your sake you're right but I doubt it.

@DavidGlennShow source too credible not to report it

Wow.

goodbyte

Damn Good Rat
Kevin Jones is the sports blogger for the Washington DC CBS affiliate. He's actually got a sports journalism job for outfit that would care about UVA news. He's also reporting that VPI will fire their offensive coordinator.

Source: Georiga Tech and UVA will announce decision to leave ACC by Monday. Will join Big 10

David Glenn Show ‏@DavidGlennShow
@Mr_KevinJones that's a big story to break spelling one of the schools wrong, homey. Hope for your sake you're right but I doubt it.

@DavidGlennShow source too credible not to report it

gtphd

What a time to be alive
It was pointed out earlier by a wise individual that contracts don't work like that.

If it did surely they would add Rice and Some Cal school.
Sure it works like that. Here's the thing: you can't force a provider to carry the BTN. So if you pick up Rice, the price of the BTN goes up in Texas and none of the cable providers carry it. So you need a big name in that state: Texas or TAMU. In GA, you'd need GT or U(sic)GA. In NC, you need UNC, Duke, or NCSU. In VA: VT or UVA.

If the B1G could get Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, or USC, they would.

gtphd

What a time to be alive
I like Sliver, but his football fan study is weak. He uses a Google searches and a questionable survey.
I don't care if he used a Ouija board. He's Nate Silver and he's saying something positive about GT.

GT1992

Dodd-Like
Sure it works like that. Here's the thing: you can't force a provider to carry the BTN. So if you pick up Rice, the price of the BTN goes up in Texas and none of the cable providers carry it. So you need a big name in that state: Texas or TAMU. In GA, you'd need GT or U(sic)GA. In NC, you need UNC, Duke, or NCSU. In VA: VT or UVA.

If the B1G could get Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, or USC, they would.
The question is whether the GT influence in Atlanta is more like Rice or NCSU. That is debatable.

goodbyte

Damn Good Rat
The SEC would be kickass if the silly opposition to Clemson, FSU and GT was removed by USC, Florida and Uga respectively.

For all those who say we would be doormats, that's not necessarily true. With regards to oversigning, a lot of universities have slowly stopped doing it - Florida, Tennessee, UGa, USC, Texas a&m have all been decent in that regard.

GT1992

Dodd-Like
No it's not.

Yes it is. We obviously don't own the Atlanta market because we have an education that doesn't limit us like inbreeding does. We're more spread out like Notre Dame and lose a lot of the ability to strong arm cable companies in a particular market.

You're the one being a retard. We need to institute GT employee athletic fees.

GT1992

Dodd-Like
The SEC would be kickass if the silly opposition to Clemson, FSU and GT was removed by USC, Florida and Uga respectively.

For all those who say we would be doormats, that's not necessarily true. With regards to oversigning, a lot of universities have slowly stopped doing it - Florida, Tennessee, UGa, USC, Texas a&m have all been decent in that regard.
None of those schools add market and $$$ to their coffers. Who would vote any of us in?

goodbyte

Damn Good Rat
None of those schools add market and $$$ to their coffers. Who would vote any of us in?
To prevent Big 12 and Big 10 from gaining a footprint and to compete with the NFL network.

gtphd

What a time to be alive
Yes it is. We obviously don't own the Atlanta market because we have an education that doesn't limit us like inbreeding does. We're more spread out like Notre Dame and lose a lot of the ability to strong arm cable companies in a particular market.

You're the one being a retard. We need to institute GT employee athletic fees.
You have no idea what you're talking about. Rice is a non-factor in Texas. A good percentage of Houston residents don't know that Rice is a Division I-A school and no one knows the score the day after a Rice game (and it's worse in Dallas, San Antonio, El Paso, etc). They struggle to get 25,000 to games.

GT isn't the dominant fan base in Atlanta, but people know we exist.

GT1992

Dodd-Like
You have no idea what you're talking about. Rice is a non-factor in Texas. A good percentage of Houston residents don't know that Rice is a Division I-A school and no one knows the score the day after a Rice game (and it's worse in Dallas, San Antonio, El Paso, etc). They struggle to get 25,000 to games.

GT isn't the dominant fan base in Atlanta, but people know we exist.
That doesn't force cable companies to carry us. I just pointed out that we aren't dominate, Comcast fought it up here with Minnesota.

gtphd

What a time to be alive
GT fans represent enough of the market to easily get GA cable companies to carry BTN.

GT1992

Dodd-Like
To prevent Big 12 and Big 10 from gaining a footprint and to compete with the NFL network.
Do you really think they are in a defensive position? They aren't competing with the NFL network, but things like Oprah's trying to get on basic service.

Y Jacket

Flats Noob
That doesn't force cable companies to carry us. I just pointed out that we aren't dominate, Comcast fought it up here with Minnesota.
If Rutgers carries enough of the NY market to get the Big 10 network interested then we are in like flyn. Personally I expect the Big 10 network to take some time to see what happens with Rutgers / NY market but we are stronger in Atlanta than Rutgers in NY/NJ.