GT Offensive Coordinator Steps Down, Replaced With Computer Program

Big Bubba Ray

Dodd-Like
Offensive Coordinator Steps Down, Replaced With Computer Program

Bill O'Brien, offensive coordinator for the Georgia Tech football team, recently resigned to take a position at Maryland. Despite the initial rash of speculation over possible replacements, a computer program was selected to be O'Brien's successor.

The program, dubbed Fridge Call, was developed by Eric Combs, a Senior computer science student. The coaching change has been one of the most popular in Tech's history, as the program is designed to mirror the play calling of former Tech coach Ralph Friedgen.

Fridge Call uses information such as team statistics, game situation, and score to calculate what play Friedgen would be likely to call in a given situation. Combs studied Friedgen's entire coaching career calling plays, dating back to when he first became an offensive coordinator at William & Mary in 1980. During the past season, Combs' program predicted Friedgen's actual play calling with an 85% success rate.

Ironically, Fridge Call was never designed to be used for actual games. "I originally wrote it to help me with NCAA Football 2003 for PS2. I love the game, but I always ran the same two or three plays, and I figured who better to have running my offense than Ralph Friedgen," explained Combs. "When I heard about the vacancy, I said 'what the hell' and e-mailed Coach Gailey. He loved the idea and agreed to give it a try."

Not only has his software made Combs one of the most popular students on campus, it has also proved a lucrative commodity. The GTAA commissioned Combs to create software to serve as a quarterback's coach, an area where the coaching staff struggled last year. The University of Florida has also contacted Combs about developing a similar program to mimic the play calling of former UF head coach Steve Spurrier.

As reported on Shaftnews.com
tongue.gif

You can never guess what the Ramblin Recks are going to do next :>) I did not know about this site.

Back