GT struggles at Duke: Fact or Fiction?

kirbee

Jolly Good Fellow
People keep saying we struggle at Duke. I wasn't sure so I looked it up. You decide:

GT 37
Duke 10

GT 38
Duke 31

GT 41
Duke 38

GT 37
Duke 21

GT 41
Duke 14

Ten year average:
GT 39
Duke 23

I was at the 2001 game and seem to remember the Dookies keeping it interesting for 2 and a half quarters (then Tech pulled away). When you compare the respective talent of the 2 teams, the score for all those games should have been like that of the '93 or '01 games. Spurrier residual effect?

Originally posted by Ghostbuster of Bobby Dodd:
I was at the 1999 game and we were very fortunate to win that ballgame.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Seems like the '99 game was just like every other game we played that year - we'd jump out to a huge lead and have to hold on for dear life at the end. IIRC, we led Duke 28-7 before they came back to take a late 31-28 lead. We were able to come back and get a couple more scores and hold them off at the very end.

So, yes, it's a fact that we struggle a little at Duke (maybe a case of sleep-walking), and we probably will again next Saturday. Who knows though. We used to struggle even more at Wake, but we handled them easily this year.

Originally posted by Downeastjacket:
I was at the 2001 game and seem to remember the Dookies keeping it interesting for 2 and a half quarters (then Tech pulled away). When you compare the respective talent of the 2 teams, the score for all those games should have been like that of the '93 or '01 games. Spurrier residual effect?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

Originally posted by JoltinJacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by Ghostbuster of Bobby Dodd:
I was at the 1999 game and we were very fortunate to win that ballgame.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Seems like the '99 game was just like every other game we played that year - we'd jump out to a huge lead and have to hold on for dear life at the end. IIRC, we led Duke 28-7 before they came back to take a late 31-28 lead. We were able to come back and get a couple more scores and hold them off at the very end.

So, yes, it's a fact that we struggle a little at Duke (maybe a case of sleep-walking), and we probably will again next Saturday. Who knows though. We used to struggle even more at Wake, but we handled them easily this year.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Excellent Points, JJ.

Around that time period, I believe a lot of the problem was that we struggled defensively. We put up a lot of points on the scoreboard but also surrendered a lot.

If we had today's defense with that offense, we would have made some serious waves.

(Don't take this as a criticism of our current offense.)

Think back to who was running the Defense at that time and for a while it was Teddy Roof. His prevent defense went into operation once we had a lead and we then gave up points. This was a topic one day at a GOL lunch before a home game, GOL tried to change the subject,

I really believe our Offense will struggle.

We will have played 1 game in, what 28 days? And maybe even more importantly, not consistently practiced the whole time between games (I don't mean consistence in quality, but in the weekly scheds - we took several days off after Wake and several more after Maryland).

We all know how fickle our O-line has been playing, I don't think the layoff will help.

If Franks was still there, I would not worry about it. But unless they get beaten by 60 pts at UT, Roof will have his kids fired up.

This game scares the dickens out of me.

We may struggle some, and we may be a little rusty coming off all the down time. But if we focus and take it to Duke physically we should be okay.

If we have a "Duke" game plan and don't go in there with an old "Wake" or "NCST" game plan then we might can still take charge of this game.

They may not be world beaters but they are a D1 football team and a TECH man shall lead them onto the field. Without a serious and forthright approach we could lose.

We need to prepare for and play them like we're playing for the title.

Do we typically struggle there? That's been my recent recollection but as has been stated I believe it's had a lot to do with our past 'bend don't break' defenses giving up yardage to Duke's pass happy offenses. Them and UNC at their house always worry me.

Back