GT's Future

GMC 68

Varsity Lurker
Re: GT\'s Future

I see no one has accepted your challenge.

I'll bite.
The ball team had it worst possible game on the worst possible day. I don't like it, but I'll move on.

Please describe how "I am referring to the future of the school as a whole not just athletics." has occurred.

The Institute academically/physically is in the best shape its ever been in. This inspite of the iodiocy of Pat Crecine.
The only complaint I could have is the efforts to make Tech more student friendly. Takes away from the Spartan-like suffering I went through.

We're well ahead of the majority of our peer institutions. And we're doing without the strong K-12 education system available in New England, the Midwest, and California.

Or perhaps you're suggesting we haven't moved fast enough towards being
the Georiga Institute of Technolgy and State University?

GT's cumulative record since 1964 (you pick the significance of the date) 222-202-9 which produces a whopping winning percentage of .531

Total wins against UGA during those 39 years, 11. 15 bowl games (assuming we get one this year).

Times changed forever in the mid '60's. Sadly our football program, academic programs and the attitudes of the alums have not.

Again...what hasn't change about our academic programs?

As a center of higher learning we're sitting pretty. It's just the games on the weekend that we have problems with.

Just in my five years Ivan Allen and MGT went from being opportunities to get out of engineering to programs of choice for incoming students.

Ga. TEch's Liberal Arts College

I'm editing this because it sounds harsh. MacDaddy you're right that the world changed since 1964. You can make a lot of conclusions as to why. But here's the bottom line:

Do you want to win championships because your players aren't students? The NCAA says players should be students but don't back it up with regulations with Teeth.
Or Do you want to win "the right way" with players who are also students?

Make the case to Dave Braine via letters, meetings, Alumni publications... Create the issue.

Or we could join the IVY League, they do play good football, just with smaller/slower players.

GT\'s Future

For the first time in my life I have to agree with the AJC on something – their “grades” on GT. When the total incompetents at AJC can correctly state the sad shape of our program we are truly headed for the basement.

I was unable to watch the game but listened to it on the radio while traveling. Unfortunately I had to listen to part of it being broadcast by Larry Dumbson on the UGALY network. He only attempted to give the name of a Tech player once. He talked about Luke “Mag-nay”. It only added insult to injury to hear this over-hyped bore tell of the most miserable day in GT history.

I was able to listen to the Tech post game show. I was shocked to hear CG blame the players for the outcome of the game. He stated the coaches had work harder than any game all year to prepare the players but they didn’t execute. While I couldn’t see the game it was easy to tell from the announcers that GT was not playing inspired football. It reminded me of the game last year when GL failed to prepare and motivate the team for the game.

Unlike a lot of Tech fans I don’t have a lot of extra income to spend on tickets and the AT Fund. GT pays its head coach in excess of 1 million and its AD and each one of its assistants hundreds of thousands of dollars. It is very disturbing to me to spend my hard earned money on a program that allows these individuals to draw a paycheck when they have done nothing to earn it. The AD and coaching staff has proven that they don’t care about building a quality program and are not interested in the future of GT. I am referring to the future of the school as a whole not just athletics. As for the football program the biggest nightmare is just beginning – Recruiting. Why would any good student want to come to a program that is not committed to success? The GT diehards can say I am wrong and shouldn’t be so negative. I have tried to be positive but find it impossible when the powers that be just plain don’t care about our great tradition. I challenge each one of the diehards to convince me that our school’s future and integrity are not in jeopardy.

Back