Gundy getting a Hewitt contract

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
Maybe they were spooked by Oklahoma leaving for the SEC, but still. What did OSU get in return? Hopefully a giant ass buyout if he leaves for the NFL, the prevention of which is the only possible excuse I can imagine for this. I can only guess that they're watching what's happening with Kingsbury at Arizona and reading the NFL tea leaves.

Anyway, I think they're going to live to regret this.

TechRush

Dodd-Like
We are about to witness the decline of OK State football, as if it was on a pinnacle to begin with, well a pinnacle in OK State terms I guess.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
We are about to witness the decline of OK State football, as if it was on a pinnacle to begin with, well a pinnacle in OK State terms I guess.
I mean, I guess maybe no one should get that kind of contract, but 15 straight bowls and 5 ten-plus win seasons at a school completely overshadowed by OU is pretty darn impressive.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Rolling 5 isn’t close to a Rolling 7. Buying out 4 years isn’t going to be an issue for OSU either.
Yeah, when you look at it that way, you always try to keep 4 years on a contract for recruiting anyway. Buyouts are the cost of doing business. And as noted above, it makes sense they would want to hang on to him

PressManCoverage

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
A Guy like Gundy was meant for the SEC, old SWC, Big8, et al, dude just oozes cheating , rule-breaking, scumbag FB Coach that's a serial cheater

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
Given the timing, I wonder if there's a back deal agreement on when he's gonna retire or something.

This isn't like Hewitt where the contract comes after a huge achievement to keep to coach from leaving. It's just the middle of a year that looks promising. Unless there were some calls from California they found out about.