Has the Triple O been "defanged"?

Versus who?

We've played a Div 2 team, the worst team in the Big 12, UNC's second stringers, NC State, and Wake Forest. The only team with a remotely good defense out of the entire list (state) held us to 3 offensive scores.

Just keep it real. We're bad, don't use stats to pretend like we're not, especially when the stats (339 yards? really) aren't even that good.

I don't disagree that I think we're not that great this year. However I think it's simply because we have not shown that the "threat" of a pass or the home run up the middle is there like we had last year. I think Allen is a good back, but we need him to take it to the house a couple times and we need the receivers to start catching the ball.

I don't think this particular offensive style is or can be "defanged." It's a jimmies and joes problem in my book.

Sure they do. There are definitely NFL teams that cut block on the line, especially for quick passing plays where they need a fast throwing lane, but also for run-first teams who pull a lot. Happens all the time. They typically don't use them as much as we do, but they use them.

If I unequivocally denied the existence of cut blocks in the NFL, then I misspoke. But can you, by chance, show me prevalent they are?

LFD,

How prominent is the QB sneak from a shotgun setup that Florida ran to championships in the NFL?

LFD,

Alabama ran the ball 601 times last year and only threw 346 times.

No NFL team last year had a ratio anywhere near that.

How is it possible that they won the MNC?

LFD,

Alabama ran the ball 601 times last year and only threw 346 times.

No NFL team last year had a ratio anywhere near that.

How is it possible that they won the MNC?

Auburn doesn't throw it much more than Tech does and they're doing pretty well too.

If I unequivocally denied the existence of cut blocks in the NFL, then I misspoke. But can you, by chance, show me prevalent they are?

Here's an article about the Texans planning to cut block.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/126/texans-ready-to-cut-block-take-flack

The issue in the NFL is practicing the cut block. You can't practice it a million times against a high-priced defensive end.

But really, why the hell do you post here anyway? It hardly seems like you're a Tech fan at all, you're a fan of being right much more than anything else. You only post when we're doing badly, to show that you're right. I didn't exactly see you proclaim that cut blocking sucks while we were racking up tons of yards last year.

Cut blocking sucks when our offensive linemen are busy blocking the particularly dangerous patch of grass and allowing the defenders to get past them. I'm certain this holds true in roughly 94.7% of all offenses though.

Every team cut blocks. It's part of football. It's not a magical technique that only we use. I'm not Paul Johnson, and I don't know why he likes to use them so much, but I'd imagine it has something to do with the way we play sideline to sideline and making it easier for our guys to block a defender without holding.

I thought cut blocking was used to get the a/b backs around the corners more effectively. Maybe it is all of these things. He used this form of blocking when he started at GSU so it must be an effective form of blocking. When done perfectly, it's always neat to see the entire defensive get flattened like pancakes.

Because there are more reliable blocking techniques that work better against better athletes.
No, because they have a new coaching staff with different ideas. EVERY team at EVERY level of football where cut blocking is allowed, cut blocks. To suggest otherwise is just ignorant.

I thought cut blocking was used to get the a/b backs around the corners more effectively. Maybe it is all of these things. He used this form of blocking when he started at GSU so it must be an effective form of blocking. When done perfectly, it's always neat to see the entire defensive get flattened like pancakes.
It also kills the morale of the other team when we're constantly taking out their legs. I think it's one reason why we've been a great team in second half of most games. Adjustments plus defenders who are sore and tired.

Back