Helluva Engineer

Looks like it was discussed here back in 2008. Dates and origins are nebulous, but it’s possible that theirs was first per both Wikipedia and GT Living History sources.

JRjr

Ho Lee Schist!

This must have been how Jack Nicholson felt after he found out his sister was really his mother.

Both fight songs are based on the 1894 song “Son of a Gambolier” by Charles Ives:

It’s pretty fuzzy as to who used it first.

GT’s living history site ascribes a possible different origin for the Colorado School of Mines song, which it dates to 1879.

I guess it’s hard to trace things with certainty at this late date.

JRjr

The lyrics to both were most definitely altered versions of "A Son of a Gambolier." It's funny though because it was written in 1894 and CSM claims their song was based on it, yet written in 1879.

The lyrics to both were most definitely altered versions of "A Son of a Gambolier." It's funny though because it was written in 1894 and CSM claims their song was based on it, yet written in 1879.

Some say theirs was based on “The Bonnie Blue Flag,” a Confederate song from the 1860s. The tune doesn’t sound all that similar to me, though.

JRjr

What song did Nixon and Khrushchev sing at the Kitchen Debate in 1959?

1610653694000.png

Pretty sure it wasn't about Golden Engineers.

GT’s living history site ascribes a possible different origin for the Colorado School of Mines song, which it dates to 1879.

True, but I only see oral claims and no evidence that CSM actually used it before Ives published the song. It’s possible given the older history as a Scottish drinking song but I’m skeptical of that timeline.

The version Ives published does have the famous melody but it’s well hidden under a lot of weird flourishes. It’s definitely not usable as a fight song in that form so somebody had to do some unique work to adapt it.

My Dad is a '58 Colorado School of Mines grad. He claims we stole the song.
Doesn't matter...it's famous because of Tech's eminence. Our version is better, too.

Up With the White and Gold was taken from a California school too, right?

Lots od stuff in CFB is copied/shared. Not a big deal.

That Mines School has a great academic reputation and an excellent fight song for a Div 2 program. Imitation is flattering regardless of the origin. Same with Cal and White and Gold.

Pretty cool history point. I want to feel defensive like we own it but at the end of the day if it makes them happy so be it. I won’t think about them when I sing ours.

Back