Here in Auburn country

gnats67

Dodd-Like
Of course I think we can beat 'em. But it ain't gonna be easy. Awbun's probably going to be better next year overall. A stable of stud RBs sounds scarily like something we've seen before
shocked.gif
They should be fired up by the time they get to Atlanta and if we're not ready to meet the challenge it might get ugly. TECH has to work on toughness in the off season. Mental as well as physical. There's going to be a lot of tough games next year and '03 will start with a bang. As Vince Lombardi so aptly put it "Mental toughness is essential for success."

GO TECH!!! THWG!!!

We will be decided underdogs in that game. Auburn is returning the great majority of their talent, and yes, that backfield will be loaded. However, since it's an early season game, and we're at home, we will have a good chance to win.

There are 3 wildcards that might lead us to victory, IMO:

1) Auburn will have a new OC. That might be good or maybe not. Under Petrino, their QB (Jason Campbell) showed great improvement during 2002. Maybe with a new OC, there'll be some problems for Jason, which could make them one-dimensional. If you can make an offense one-dimensional, you can stop them, especially if that dimension is the run.

2) Our QB....perhaps by early next year, AJ or Bilbo will really have shown some improvement and will provide us with the passing game that we need in order to be competitive.

3) Tony Hollings. Need I say more? If he's healthy and 100%, then we've got ourselves a butt-kicking running game that I'd put up against anyone.

The one problem I see (and it worries me) is that Auburn will bring alot of fans. We'll be in our newly-expanded stadium. So, we can't let their fans take over the stadium and make more noise than us. If we get behind early, it could get ugly.

Yes the game will be tough... our offense will need to know how to score plenty of points... this past seasons subpar scoring ability has to improve...
PLUS the game last I heard was scheduled to be played in the GA Dome... that will remove any type of home field advantage as there will be tons of ugly orange and blue clad folks in that room...
The only times Auburn has lost lately has been when they are out muscled... I hope the Jackets improve in those areas you mentioned GNATS67 if not it will be ugly and this sour taste that is still in my mouth from Athens'02 will return in a hurry...

First though we gotta beat the Bulldogs of Fresno State... those farm boys out there will not be easy they are big, mean, and nasty.... if the Jackets are not prepared we'll be looking at a 2002 season that has 2 losses to teams named after a very ugly, short, slobbering, beasts...

Originally posted by casbah62:

PLUS the game last I heard was scheduled to be played in the GA Dome... that will remove any type of home field advantage as there will be tons of ugly orange and blue clad folks in that room...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That's been changed. There's no GA Dome game. Next year, we play them at BDS. In 2005, we play them in Auburn.

Originally posted by JacketFanPCB:
I guess my question is....when you take off the gold colored glasses, can we beat AU next year?? I think we've got a shot if Bilbo can come around and our defensive and offensive lines get bigger and tougher, but those are all BIG ifs.

Thoughts??

shocked.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">IMO Auburn will be the best team in the SEC next year. They return just about everybody from a pretty good team this year. I'm looking for them to make a serious run to the GA Dome and possibly the BCS. Unfortunately we're resuming our series 2 to 3 years later than we should have...

Thanks for all the replies, most of which I agree with
smile.gif

Auburn is going to be a VERY dangerous team next year. I married into an AU family and I hear quite a bit about them and I follow them as closely as I can. They SHOULD win the SEC West pretty handily since they are returning a BUNCH of good players and will have most of the coaching staff intact. The arrival of a new OC COULD spell some difficulties for Jason Campbell, but then again he's their #1 guy for the next two years at QB. Tech has GOT to improve mental AND physical toughness and durability to improve over the UGA massacre and compete with the big boys on our schedule. We've just been getting outmuscled WAY too often in the last couple of years. I KNOW that's going to be addressed. I just hope we see some serious results soon. AU could very well blow us away at home, but either way we should come out of it a better, stronger team for the ACC schedule. THAT'S the advantage of putting a high caliber team on your schedule early in the season.

Bugboy... That's GREAT news... about the game being at BDS!!! I reckon some of you knew this but to me it's like Xmas all over again!!!
Besides I hate Blue and Orange.... I couldn't think of a worse color combo...
So IF the team shows up to play at least we'll all be there backin' 'em up in Gold and White!!!

Don't forget the "Auburn Memorial Upper North Stands" will be ready just in time for 10,000+ orange and blue clad fans!
BOO

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
Don't forget the "Auburn Memorial Upper North Stands" will be ready just in time for 10,000+ orange and blue clad fans!
BOO
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">How many total fans do you think Auburn will bring? I'm guessing about 12 to 15K. If Tech fans turn out in force, and the team plays hard, we can keep the stadium from being turned into an Auburn home game, IMO.

More likely 18,000 to 23,000. They will love the road trip to Atlanta (those that are not already living in the area). Tech fans will be fewer than last year, marginally fewer but fewer none the less.
Tech will play host to the largest visiting fan base at Bobby Dodd in 20+ years. The upper north will be solid orange and blue. Our AA will gladly take the visitors full ticket price over discounted bonus ticket packages to existing season ticket purchasers.
Prepare to hear "War Eagle" as loudly hollered as "Go Jackets".
BOO

They're saying Auburn will have FOUR studs vying for the top tailback slot. They've got Carnell Williams, Ronnie Brown, some other guy (maybe a transfer or freshman,not sure) and some JUCO transfer that's like 6-4 255. They're already comparing him to Bo Jackson. If all this is true, I'm MORE than a tad worried about AU come Sept. 6th at BDS (if that's the right date). I mean we had a tough time stopping Musa Smith. I KNOW changes will be made and we'll be fired up, but I just worry when we play bigger and stronger teams like UGA and AU.

I guess my question is....when you take off the gold colored glasses, can we beat AU next year?? I think we've got a shot if Bilbo can come around and our defensive and offensive lines get bigger and tougher, but those are all BIG ifs.

Thoughts??

shocked.gif

OMG I hate Blue and Orange
puke.gif
we need some kind've 'Shotgun' cheer for every time they yell War Eagle....

casbah62, are you a '69 ME grad, a FIGI, originally from Dallas TX, and called "Pooh Bear"
by Martha with the yellow Mustang GT? If so please send me your e-mail address or other contact info. Thanx!!

drinking.gif
blue.gif

Back