Here's a look at our OL going into Spring Practice.

GTTerrific

Dodd-Like
Here\'s a look at our OL going into Spring Practice.

To add to MasterB’s excellent post on the Hive. Here is a break down of our returning offensive lineman for this spring. Left out the recruits that will join the team in the fall.

This should be a strength of the 2003 team with 4 starters returning. There are a good number of reserve players who will fight for that starting spot at LG. Could possibly see one of last years starters move to that spot, but don’t see that to be as likely as the four returning starters staying at their current positions. There are some reserve players that have had some good experience. If we stay healthy our depth situation looks to be improving.

Keep in mind that these size and weights were from the fall. They'll be updated sometime this spring before Spring Game I’d imagine with an official Spring 2003 prospectus from GTAA.

Offensive Lineman:

#76- Salih Besirevic Tackle 6-7 290lbs RS SO. Denver CO.
Played tackle and guard in 2002 seeing action in two games.
Moved to OL from TE where he played his RS year.

#70- Nat Dorsey. Tackle 6-6 330lbs JR. New Orleans LA.
All American candidate after earning All Acc honors
his first two seasons starting at left tackle. GT’s
largest player.

#78- Garren Findley. Tackle 6-5 290lbs RS SR. North Logan Utah
Backup who has not seen game action after enrolling at
GT in 2001 after a standout juco career.

#69- Will Hardy. Tackle. 6-4 290lbs RS SR. Conyers GA.
Can play both tackle and guard. Walk-on.

#62- Clay Hartley. Tackle. 6-4288lbs RS SR. Bryceville FL.
Can play center or guard. Played in two games in 2002.

#72- Brad Honeycutt. Guard. 6-4 295lbs RS SO. Mesquite TX.
Started one game in 2002 against Duke at left tackle.

#63- Ben Jackson. Guard. 6-2 280lbs RS SO. Stockbridge GA.
Walk-on

#79- Travis Kelly. OL. 6-0 250lbs RS FR. Warner Robins GA.
No info.

#73- Zeb McHargue. OL. 6-4 285lbs. RS FR. Gray GA.
Could play tackle or guard.

#75- Jeremy Phillips. Tackle. RS JR. Watkinsville GA.
Could play tackle, guard, or TE. Key reserve in 2002
coming off serious knee injury. Started RT against NC St.
and at LT against FSU in 2002.

#60- Joseph Rearden. Center. 6-0 235lbs JR. Warner Robins GA.
Serve walk-on plays center or guard.

#67- Hugh Reilly. Center. 6-4 285lbs. RS SR. Roswell GA.
Two year starter. One year at guard and one year at center.
Should be one of the main leaders on the offense in 2003.

#74- Leon Robinson. Guard. 6-4 315lbs. RS JR. Garden City GA.
Started every game at left guard in 2002. Had 11 of Jackets season
high 38 knockdown blocks against NC St.

#64- Gavin Tarquinio. Center. 6-3 270lbs. RS SO. Marietta GA.
Can play center or guard. Missed 2002 after shoulder surgery.
Sat out 2001 with knee injury.

#65- Andy Tidwell-Neal. Center. 6-4 295lb. JR. Plymouth Minn.
Can play center or guard. Will compete for starting right guard
this spring. Has played in PAT-FG units as well.

#77- Kyle Wallace. Tackle. 6-6 280lbs. JR. Lawrenceville GA.
Returning starter at right tackle. Named ACC lineman of the
week honors twice in 2002, against UNC and UVA.

Here is the group of lineman we have this spring. Should be fun to watch how the right guard spot shacks out. I’m excited about this bunch. Will be interesting to see the new sizes and weights when they’re posted.

Comments??

Go Jackets!

Re: Here\'s a look at our OL going into Spring Practice.

Well, can scatch Gavin from the list. GTDean reported on a club meeting tonight where Coach Dave Wilson spoke. He's moving to TE.

Here is the link to excellent report by GTDean:
East Metro Georgia Tech Club Recap

Thanks for the breakdown. I was impressed with Huneycutt.

What the OL really needs is someone to coach them other than someone from Duke.

Originally posted by Father WASP:
Thanks for the breakdown. I was impressed with Huneycutt.

What the OL really needs is someone to coach them other than someone from Duke.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Wasp: I agree with your statement. I think we've got the goods as far as players are concerned but definitely not convinced on the person coaching them.

Father Wasp, I like Brad Honeycutt as well. Think it will be a real good battle between him and Andy Tidwell-Neal for starting RG spot this spring. Not counting out Hardy and RS FR either.

MY looking at the OL number makes me think next years incoming class is a must that we get atleast 6 OL (lots of JRS and SRSon the OL) ::

Don't complain about the line coach because he was at Duke. He's actually put as many linemen in the pros as anybody we've had lately. If you have questions about his ability that's one thing, but to complain that he coached at Duke is just stupid. Would you say the same if Ted Roof came back from Durham?

Originally posted by GT Ace:
GTT-thanks for the coverage & link to the East alumni club. We've got a real good starting 5 & at least 3 quality b/us. After that the depth really falls off. GT better avoid OL injuries this coming season & especially in '04.
Tommie-did a coupla in depth posts on the lack of OL in the system & that we needed to recruit more. U're right in that we need, at least, 6 to come in for the '04 season. Moving Brezina & Wrotto to OL will really help & U gotta believe that's what'll happen.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ace, you keep bringing up Brezina and Wrotto as if they ARE moving to OL. It's not done deal AT ALL that they are moving anywhere. As I've posted before I believe I know where this rumor started.

Yes, I could happen down the road, but can tell you that there are no plans of it. Coaches were asked point blank about it on signing day. That was the first they had heard about either one of them moving.

Our depth is better than it's been. It's still not where it should be. Add the three guys coming into this program this fall and we're where we should be numbers wise. Yes, we'll have to go out and recruit more next year to fill needs. Think you guys are about right where we need to be next year recruiting.

I agree that there are 3 quality backups in that group, but could be more as these guys work hard to get better. We could be in a lot better shape than 3 quality backups come start of fall. Then in even better shape as the season goes on.

You never sit still. You strive to move forward. I've seen 4 different guys mentioned as starter at right guard. That tells me that we could have more depth than any one person feels. We'll see.

GTT-thanks for the coverage & link to the East alumni club. We've got a real good starting 5 & at least 3 quality b/us. After that the depth really falls off. GT better avoid OL injuries this coming season & especially in '04.
Tommie-did a coupla in depth posts on the lack of OL in the system & that we needed to recruit more. U're right in that we need, at least, 6 to come in for the '04 season. Moving Brezina & Wrotto to OL will really help & U gotta believe that's what'll happen.

Back