Hollings Carries the Load in Tech Scrimmage (link)

ahsoisee

Dodd-Like
It is unfortunate for Dixon, Ford, and Hatch they are injured and cannot participate as much as they would like, but there is always a good side. It has given Hollings a chance to get in the mix and show us he can handle the load.

If the other backs can regain their health, and the new backs coming on board in the Fall can contribute, we may wind up pretty strong at the back position.

GT Adamni

Flats Noob
You're right. I feel that we should have a lot of good quality depth this fall. All of these backs should be able to contribute, and hopefully they will get the chance to do so. People always say that Joe Burns had a fumbling problem, but if you take a look at it most of his fumbles came near the end of the games when he was worn out. The coaches didn't give him enough breaks last year, and he just got tired in the 4th quarter. If we had let Gregory, Ford, or any of the other backs get a little bit more time in there, perhaps Joe would have been able to hold onto the ball a little bit better. Joe was forced to play almost every down either at tailback or fullback. It's important that we don't make the same mistake this year, and get some fresh bodies in as much as possible.

ahsoisee

Dodd-Like
I have been following GT football since the late 40s, and Sean Gregory's lack of playing time is the biggest injustice I have seen in Tech football.

He was much quicker to the spot than Burns and could easily have been our big play man if he had been given playing time.

It is a huge credit to Gregory's character that he never complained about it openly.

jacketguy

Damn Good Rat
Well said Ah.... I have thought the same thing myself... one of the great things that O'Leary did after the NC State game in 2000 was to rotate players... the change in the team was immediate... I never understood why he departed from that strategy last year...

FHstinger

Dodd-Like
One can't fault O'Leary entirely for not playing Gregory in 2001. Sean had a big fumble in the 2000 NC State game, while we were leading 13-0, which turned the game around completely. Gregory made a similar fumble in the 1999 Virginia game we lost. GT was up 17-0 at the time of that fumble.