Holy cow, Arkansas only graduates 26% in football

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
& only 16% of it's African-American football players, the huge bulk of it's team. These graduation rates of the teams playing in Bowl games are apalling. Ga Tech must be in the middle of everything as we're not mentioned, good or bad.
If you want an 'eyeopener' on grad rates & Bowl teams, read this;

Bowl teams & their graduation rates

I saw a report during the NCSU/Kansas game that Boise State had lost six players to grades and they would not play in the bowl game tomorrow.

Father Time

Of the 28 Bowl games...only UGA vs Purdue and Navy vs Texas Tech have graduation rates above 50%...very interesting.

Often schools lose players to the NFL, too, and that hurts graduation rates.

The following is a part of an article referring to this thread. Since GT is not mentioned in the "positive" paragraph and UGA is mentioned, I wonder just where GT does fit in. Also, I wonder how the writer came up with all this information. Is it readily available to all through some medium?
"Of the eight schools playing in the four most financially lucrative games, worth $90 million to their conferences, six have African-American player graduation rates under 50 percent. Oklahoma and Ohio State have African-American graduation rates of 28 percent. Of the 56 teams in all the bowls, only 15 have an African-American graduation rate of at least 50 percent.

In the interest of positive publicity, those 15 schools are: Kansas State, USC, Tulsa, Mississippi, Purdue, Georgia, Boston College, Southern Mississippi, UCLA, Navy, Virginia, Northwestern, Hawaii, Boise State, and Texas Christian."

Rome,
It came from the Knight Commission on Intercolligiate Athletics. Here is some stats from News @ Knight Service which certainly appears to be the stat sheet used for this article. Now, just where Knight got these stats from will be the next ?.
These stats shows where GT fits into the picture & it's not a good picture. It seems that these stats are availiable to Knight & others while it also seems that they came from the NCAA. What do u think?

Graduation stats for Bowl teams

Originally posted by GT Ace:
Rome,
It came from the Knight Commission on Intercolligiate Athletics. Here is some stats from News @ Knight Service which certainly appears to be the stat sheet used for this article. Now, just where Knight got these stats from will be the next ?.
These stats shows where GT fits into the picture & it's not a good picture. It seems that these stats are availiable to Knight & others while it also seems that they came from the NCAA. What do u think?

Graduation stats for Bowl teams
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thanks Acworth,
Wonder if the degree of difficulty in academics factor is figured in at some point. I'd like to believe that it would be harder to graduate from GT than say Florida State.

This is "on time" graduation, right? That's the impression I got from the page, or is it just graduation at all? An extra semester or so isn't uncommon even for non-athletes at Tech - there's a lot more hard classes required than in some of the other programs. Throw in athletics too, and I'd like to see the rates on how many graduate after a bit of extra time as opposed to never graduating. But it doesn't look good without knowing the reputation of the academics.

Back