Hope for the future

RaiderJacket

Varsity Lurker
In defeating Memphis today, Temple beat two AP Top 25 ranked teams consecutively for the first time ever. Those are CGC's recruits. 1-5 sucks but give it time. OC aside, he has a good staff.

Last edited:
We haven’t had an offensive or defensive player drafted since 2016 and won’t in 2020 either. People can say whatever they want, but we have clearly been losing the recruiting battle for years. I don’t really care what the recruiting services say about it either. They are designed to sell subscriptions.... I go by the eye test and my eyes tell me that freaking Duke has pushed us around for several years now...that’s not CGC’s fault. And he won’t be able to fix it overnight.

I liked CPJ and very much appreciate what he did here. He was an excellent game day coach and his scheme allowed lesser talent to overachieve. It also created a self fulfilling prophecy where our talent level has been dropping to the point where we needed his scheme to barely be a bowl team. He’s gone now and so is the 3-O. It’s time to rebuild from the state of the roster left by CPJ.

On top of the talent holes and youth throughout the roster, we are completely changing the scheme at essentially every position. The offense gets most of the press on this, but the defensive style is different as well. It has been a challenge and likely will continue to be for the rest of this season at a minimum.

Until CGC has time to get his guys in here, which could take 3-4 seasons, then it’s really going to be difficult to judge him fairly. This is a lost season from a W-L perspective. It’s really all about player development and recruiting at this point. Try to quit being a whiney baby and enjoy the progress our program makes from here on out. I truly believe moving away from the 3-O to a modern scheme would be hell for any coach, and also believe that it’s long term the best move for Georgia Tech Football.

In defeating Memphis today, Temple beat two AP Top 25 ranked teams consecutively for the first time ever. Those are Matt Rhule's recruits.

Matthew Kenneth Rhule (born January 31, 1975) is an American football coach and former player. He is the head football coach at Baylor University. He was previously the coach of Temple University where he led the Owls to back-to-back 10-win seasons for the only time in school history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Rhule

Last edited:
giphy.gif

We haven’t had an offensive or defensive player drafted since 2016 and won’t in 2020 either. People can say whatever they want, but we have clearly been losing the recruiting battle for years. I don’t really care what the recruiting services say about it either. They are designed to sell subscriptions.... I go by the eye test and my eyes tell me that freaking Duke has pushed us around for several years now...that’s not CGC’s fault. And he won’t be able to fix it overnight.

I liked CPJ and very much appreciate what he did here. He was an excellent game day coach and his scheme allowed lesser talent to overachieve. It also created a self fulfilling prophecy where our talent level has been dropping to the point where we needed his scheme to barely be a bowl team. He’s gone now and so is the 3-O. It’s time to rebuild from the state of the roster left by CPJ.

On top of the talent holes and youth throughout the roster, we are completely changing the scheme at essentially every position. The offense gets most of the press on this, but the defensive style is different as well. It has been a challenge and likely will continue to be for the rest of this season at a minimum.

Until CGC has time to get his guys in here, which could take 3-4 seasons, then it’s really going to be difficult to judge him fairly. This is a lost season from a W-L perspective. It’s really all about player development and recruiting at this point. Try to quit being a whiney baby and enjoy the progress our program makes from here on out. I truly believe moving away from the 3-O to a modern scheme would be hell for any coach, and also believe that it’s long term the best move for Georgia Tech Football.

This is the best post I have read on this board in months. Well done!

About 25% of the two-deep O & D, based upon the Oct. 3 depth chart, are SO, R-FR, FR

https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/temple/91970/
The Juniors and Seniors would have spent as much or more time with Collins and crew as Rhule or the new guy. Regardless of who actually recruited the Temple 2-deep, CGC and staff spent 2 years developing those players.

Honestly I couldn’t care less about Temple. I’ll reserve judgement until I see what happens at Georgia Tech.

Last edited:
Temple has a lot of games left to play. But if the coach before Collins won more games and the coach after Collins wins more games, that is significant. Collins had a good two years as head coach with the Owls, just not as good as the two previous years. And, I could see this Temple team winning nine or ten this year.

Temple has a lot of games left to play. But if the coach before Collins won more games and the coach after Collins wins more games, that is significant. Collins had a good two years as head coach with the Owls, just not as good as the two previous years. And, I could see this Temple team winning nine or ten this year.
I mean, with cupcakes like us on their schedule, they’d better get those wins.

Back