Hopeful

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by JelloJacket, Dec 30, 2018.

1. JelloJacket

JelloJacket Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I was first introduced to basketball watching a team that went to an NIT game after an average season, then went 10-17 followed by 11-17. That team went on to make the NCAA the next year and was in the final four a couple years after and then became the most dominant force in basketball for the next 3 decades.

I was a kid but throughout me and the family went to all of the games which made subsequent years of success that much sweeter.

Now I am not saying we are going to be Duke but we have a nice nucleus of players that are young and will get better the next two years. I fully expect we will be in the NCAA in 2 years and hopefully have picked up some nice players along the way to start to sustain the success.

The success will be much more fun for you personally if you persevere through the tough times, attend the games, and generally remain a fan and not a drag on the program.

Looking forward to seeing the team grow in the second half of this season.

• Like Like x 3
  2. The Gus

The Gus Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    That "NIT Team" was 18-11 overall and 6-8 in an EXTREMELY COMPETITIVE ACC. They had Marc Price, Bruce Dalrymple, John Salley - and they had signed Duane Ferrell. 3 of these 4 players had very prosperous NBA careers. I don't see any NBA-level talent (maybe DeVoe if the light bulb goes off in his head) on this team - nor are there any NBA-level players signed for the future. Otherwise your comparison is spot-on-target.......

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. brackam97

brackam97 Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Yes I love the positive thinking. I wish I shared that perspective.

We’ve currently got no nba level talent, maybe a couple of g league hopefuls at best.

Until we can run thru a pre conference schedule will no more than 3 losses we are going to be out of it before the bubble talk even starts for the foreseeable future.

4. Buzz_PhD

Buzz_PhD Slave to the Traffic Light

Loc:
    Johns Creek
    Team:
    G Tech
    I didn’t know Coach K stingtalked.

5. 18in32

18in32 Puritan Wannabe

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    He's apparently not talking about Tech, bc I'm pretty sure we were never "the most dominant force in college basketball for three decades."

• Like Like x 2
  6. The Gus

The Gus Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Jeeze, you're right (once again I misinterpreted) - but why even make the comparison IN ANY SHAPE FORM OR MATTER to Duke - that is insane. Although, Duke and GT basketball had similar trajectories for the first 5-6 years in the 80's / sort of through the 80's - but the last 25 years Duke has had the much better team-program (for a myriad of reasons) - except 2004 when Duke & GT were at the same level.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. JacketFan77

JacketFan77 Bokonon High Priest

Loc:
    High on a mountain top
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    @The Gus Needs to lay off the caps.

• Like Like x 1
  8. andrew

andrew Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner

Loc:
    New York City
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    He reminds me a little of 3gt

• Like Like x 1
  9. JelloJacket

JelloJacket Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I was trying to make two points.
    1) I believe there is reason to be optimistic for the next couple of years.
    2) If the optimism proves to be founded it feels a ton better if you cheered the team on during the tough times.

• Like Like x 3
    • Big Cry Big Cry x 1
  10. gtfan088

gtfan088 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    3GT after falling on hard times and losing all that unbridled optimism

11. gtg970g

gtg970g Flats Noob

Loc:
    Decatur, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    UVA has 4 and Miami 3 players in the NBA currently (source https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...colleges-most-players-nba-opening-day-rosters) vs our 4. You don't need NBA talent to win in college basketball. You need talented experienced college ball players. I think we have a few with talent and are working towards the experience part. I'm disappointed things have not come together faster but I was at the game today and liked what I saw and hope to see more of the same going forward.

12. gtfan088

gtfan088 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    That's true to some degree. However, three of our four NBA players are two coaches removed. Conversely, 6 of the 7 NBA players for UVA and Miami weren't even in college yet when Hewitt was canned. Unless you're Kentucky, Duke, etc., the best recipe for success is a healthy balance of the talented experienced players you alluded to and the NBA-types (and obviously there's some overlap between the two).

• Like Like x 1
  13. 00Burdell

00Burdell Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Parts unknown
    Team:
    Georgia Tech and whoever is playing Ugag
    Ok, geez. We have a long way to go but we looked good today. We made shots - lots of them. We scored 90 points. This is good.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BuzzLaw

BuzzLaw where have all the average people gone

Loc:
    The Kingfisher
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    My recollection is 3gt was an optimistic, hopeful charismatic GT fan.

The Gus is a piece of öööö loser that only wants to say terrible things about the team he supposedly supports. He is a waste of space on ST, and I seriously hope his personal life is better. If it isn’t, no one around him is happy.

• Like Like x 1
  15. The Gus

The Gus Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    When there are good things to say - I say them (see today's game thread - I was very complementary of the team's performance). But, you are right in that I mostly say negative things because a significant majority of things about Tech Basketball over the last 20 have been negative. What can I tell you...

• Dislike Dislike x 3
  16. gtchief

gtchief Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    Alpharetta
    Team:
    GT
    To answer your rhetorical question, you can tell me why you used "complementary" instead of complimentary

• Like Like x 1
  17. The Gus

The Gus Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Because I am stupid and don't know the difference. But, basketball - I know. Been following Tech / ACC hoops since 1980 (38 years).

• Dislike Dislike x 3
  18. Akinji07

Akinji07 Inventor of Thursdays

Loc:
    Hobo Tailgate
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    He's 3gt's evil twin brother whos the exact opposite but the caps run in the family.

• Like Like x 1
  19. 79tech

79tech Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    atlanta
    Team:
    ga tech
    why couldn't we get Keatts - now there is the real thing