How Does Miami Do It???

SouthGa

Varsity Lurker
In the state of Florida, FSU and UF still dominate the fan base, so how does Miami continue to dominate the football scene? I remember in the 60's and 70's Miami being mediocre at best. So what did they do to become one of the premier football programs in the nation? Why don't we send a group consisting of athletic department personnel and big money boosters to Miami during different times of the year (especially recruiting) and find out what they are doing RIGHT!

South Georgia Jacket

might have a little something to do with this:

Institution: University of Miami (Florida)
Date: 01-DEC-95

Facts Summary: Extra benefits, impermissible financial aid; amateurism; institutional drug policy; unethical conduct; lack of institutional control.

Violation Summary: IMPROPER FINANCIAL AID: institution awarded more than $412,000 in excessive aid as a result of improperly calculating off-campus room and board stipends; student-athletes received an average of $110 in impermissible books a semester; student-athletes were improperly compensated for employment. EXTRA BENEFITS: athletics department staff member helped student-athletes fraudulently receive a total of $212,969 in Pell Grants; cash awards to football student-athletes for game performance. ATHLETICS DEPARTMENT FAILED TO FOLLOW DRUG-TESTING POLICY. UNETHICAL CONDUCT. LACK OF INSTITUTIONAL CONTROL.

Penalty Summary: Public reprimand; FOOTBALL: reduction from 25 to 18 initial awards for 1995-96, from 25 to 12 for 1996-97 and from 25 to 14 for 1997-98; reduction from 85 to 80 total awards for 1995-96, 1996-97 and 1997-98; postseason ban for 1995.

from ncaa.org.

And maybe this was on the way to the 3 MNC during the 80's:

Institution: University of Miami (Florida)
Date: 03-NOV-81

Facts Summary: Improper financial aid; extra benefits; out-of-season practice; improper recruiting contacts, employment, entertainment, inducements, lodging, publicity and transportation; tryouts; improper administration of financial aid; certification of compliance.

Violation Summary: Improper financial aid; extra benefits; out-of-season practice; improper recruiting contacts, employment, entertainment, inducements, lodging, publicity and transportation; tryouts; improper administration of financial aid; certification of compliance.

Penalty Summary: Maximum of 20 initial grants for 1982-83; show cause why more penalties should not be imposed if institution does not reprimand one assistant coach.

Have heard that UM has cleaned up quite a bit. Of course with South Beach right there, why would you want to go to Gainesville or Tallahassee anyway? ;-)

Originally posted by SouthGa:
In the state of Florida, FSU and UF still dominate the fan base, so how does Miami continue to dominate the football scene? I remember in the 60's and 70's Miami being mediocre at best. So what did they do to become one of the premier football programs in the nation? Why don't we send a group consisting of athletic department personnel and big money boosters to Miami during different times of the year (especially recruiting) and find out what they are doing RIGHT!

South Georgia Jacket
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Look at their academic course offerings & curriculum.
Look at ours.

While I'm not a great fan of O'Liar, he did have us pegged when he said, "GT wants to be Harvard during the week and Florida State on the weekend."

BBR

BBr, I agree with O'Leary's assessment. For most of the coaches, we must be able to recruit as effectively as other schools.

However, If we do our homework and pick the right coach for GT, we can still be effective.

wink.gif

It's hard to believe that with the economy the way it is that kids still want to go to schools offering the "soft" sciences. I guess coaches put that NFL bug in their head and show them the "Arts and Sciences" or such curriculum.
It would seem Tech would be a good sell to someone intending on making a good living if their NFL dreams don't pan out.

Originally posted by SouthGa:

South Georgia Jacket
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">There is a ton of talent in South Florida and Miami is only school that is close. UF is around a 6 hour drive and FSU is even longer. Atlanta is closer to FSU than Miami and about as close to UF. As a contrast, kids from Atlanta can probably go to 6 or 7 major div 1 schools within a 5 hour drive.

IMO, jimbo,Bubba, & goldmember are right on and their posts are in the correct order in ref to importance/impact on question. THWG

Originally posted by JJacket:
I guess coaches put that NFL bug in their head and show them the "Arts and Sciences" or such curriculum.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think you're on to something. Miami = shot at the NFL to a lot of folks and some of these guys might be willing to wager their signing bonuses against the odds of making it in the NFL. 1m or even half a mil is a pretty nice nest egg. UM is a football factory.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
shocked.gif

But you know, the "soft sciences" still work. Not everyone has the aptitude or interest in being an engineer. And even though the economy is tough right now, kids don't know what to expect in 5-6 years. How many have seen people pick a major that was "hot" just to see the market collapse by the time they graduate?

Plenty of companies still hire English, History, etc, majors. Just because it's not techinical doesn't mean there is no demand. Hell, even Education or PE majors find jobs!

Originally posted by goldmember:
There is a ton of talent in South Florida and Miami is only school that is close.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Keep an eye on the South Florida Bulls. They're already soppin' up some of the the talent gravy down in that neck of the woods. Independent going into C-USA this year.

-CNNSI-

I really didn't mean that you had to be an engineer. Economics, business, mathematics and other majors like those are just going to increase your chances. I can't remember any of bosses ever asking me who won the Boer War or if I could show him the subject and predicate of a sentence structure. I am however, asked to justify projects' costs make products profitable (boring isn't it?). I really don't mean to sound ugly about it, but I want my kid to have the most options possible.
I just think schools like Tech can give you an advantage that other schools don't offer. It would be nice if we could convince recruits to believe the same.

Back