Votes: 52 24.8%

Votes: 73 34.8%

Votes: 31 14.8%
  • 8 or more

Votes: 18 8.6%

• Total voters

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
You're not remembering correctly. All losses not named Clempsin (which was a total disaster), saw the other team putting up lots of points early to mid-game with no response from us.

UCF - 4 TDs straight across the 1st and 2nd quarters.
SYR - 17 straight 1st quarter points.
BC - 24 1st quarter points (34 1st half).
ND - 24 straight points from mid-2nd quarter.
NCSU - 20 1st half point (against 1 GT TD and 2 2nd half FGs).
Pitt - 20 straight points from late 2nd Q to mid-3rd quarter.
I had to go back and look.

UCF - get down 28-7. But down 28-21 in 4th. Then collapse when it counts.
Syc - we were down 20-23 until the last minute of the 3rd QT. Lost by 17. So we closed the gap until it got close again.
NCSt - 2 FG bring us within 7 to start the 4th. Can’t close in O, but only give up 3 in second half.
Pitt - we’re down 20-26 with 6 minutes left. Lose by 14. Can’t close the deal.

So those 4 loses have us down by 1 TD with basically 1 QTR left. That is with one of the worst kicking games I have seen from a college or high school team.

We just couldn’t function when it was close. That is partly confidence and partly the other team getting lax. But confidence and a kicking game should help immensely.

clapper

Dodd-Like
I had to go back and look.

UCF - get down 28-7. But down 28-21 in 4th. Then collapse when it counts.
Syc - we were down 20-23 until the last minute of the 3rd QT. Lost by 17. So we closed the gap until it got close again.
NCSt - 2 FG bring us within 7 to start the 4th. Can’t close in O, but only give up 3 in second half.
Pitt - we’re down 20-26 with 6 minutes left. Lose by 14. Can’t close the deal.

So those 4 loses have us down by 1 TD with basically 1 QTR left. That is with one of the worst kicking games I have seen from a college or high school team.

We just couldn’t function when it was close. That is partly confidence and partly the other team getting lax. But confidence and a kicking game should help immensely.
We definitely look at games differently. If I see my team repeatedly falling behind by 3 touchdowns, I can't attribute the loss to failure to close. To me failure to close means it was a tight game (or maybe even one where we have the 3 touchdown lead) and lose. Scrambling back to almost get back from a 3 touchdown deficit, but not making it, means to me that they never should have put themselves down by that much in the first place.

To put it another way, if I'm ready to head back to heavy drinking at the tailgate, or throw something through my TV, by halftime, we don't have a failure to close.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
We definitely look at games differently. If I see my team repeatedly falling behind by 3 touchdowns, I can't attribute the loss to failure to close. To me failure to close means it was a tight game (or maybe even one where we have the 3 touchdown lead) and lose. Scrambling back to almost get back from a 3 touchdown deficit, but not making it, means to me that they never should have put themselves down by that much in the first place.

To put it another way, if I'm ready to head back to heavy drinking at the tailgate, or throw something through my TV, by halftime, we don't have a failure to close.
I was definitely misremembering, because I did think it was close throughout. But I did have it right that we were within a score late in several blow out losses.

Having momentum late and then utterly pissing it away is a failure to close.

I’m hoping the kicking game can keep us from falling behind 17-0 and make it a more manageable 17-6. Maybe we have a few more 4th start where we are up by 3 instead of down by 7.

GT76

Damn Good Rat
I don’t like conceding the games against the three likely top 10 teams (Tech on occasion plays to the level of its opposition, sometimes good, sometimes bad) but of the other nine games I don’t see why we can’t win at least six. We should be able to beat NIU and KSU (if our HC and DC can figure out a workable option defense). Which of the Coastal teams, and BC, are so damn good we can’t go toe to toe against? If nothing else our offense and kicking should be better and keep us in games. I voted six wins. I think seven is possible.

GoldZ

Dodd-Like

This is mostly depth and secondly coaching, and no it's not coaching doing the best it can without depth, it's just coaching.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
This is mostly depth and secondly coaching, and no it's not coaching doing the best it can without depth, it's just coaching.
Getting booty blasted in the 1st quarter isn’t depth. Not being able to overcome a booty blasting may be depth.

I don’t think Collins preferred defense does well against the spread, be it run based option teams or field stretching passing teams. I think that is why we have done so poorly against Syracuse and VT. That was the one look that a Roof defense could smother.

BuzzedATL

Varsity Lurker
If we can get our mistakes (penalties and turnovers) under control and stay healthy, we will be pretty good. Look at last year: had we been healthy for the last few games of the year we could have easily won 5 games

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
Odds too high for the entire Atlantic except Clemson. For an Atlantic team to win the ACC, they have to beat Clemson and go 7-1. No one in the Atlantic is going 7-1 AND beating Clemson.

RoanokeJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Odds too high for the entire Atlantic except Clemson. For an Atlantic team to win the ACC, they have to beat Clemson and go 7-1. No one in the Atlantic is going 7-1 AND beating Clemson.

I added them all up and they only add up to 0.67. I guess there is a 1/3 chance of ?

I know odds don't add up to 1:1 so the house always wins but I didn't think the gap was 1/3.