How many NFL players are on our team right now?

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like
1. Gibbs
2. Antoneous Clayton???
3. Presley Harvin
4. Jordan Mason?

I went back and looked at our 2008 roster. We had no less than 8 NFL players (that doesn’t even include Nesbitt). I think we ended up having 10 or 11 make the league in some form from that year’s squad.

Honestly, do we have anyone that looks anything like a Michael Johnson or Derrick Morgan, Vance Walker, etc playing for us right now?

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
Damn, that's a good point. I can't believe the fact that there isn't a lot of talent on the team hasn't been brought up before. Now that I think about it, we might even be looking at a multi year rebuild based on our talent level.

Diseqc

Dodd-Like
Damn, that's a good point. I can't believe the fact that there isn't a lot of talent on the team hasn't been brought up before. Now that I think about it, we might even be looking at a multi year rebuild based on our talent level.
The greatest rebuild ever undertaken in the history of college football. 11 running backs and 0 tight ends. Effort based roster.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
Gibbs might be the only one that is drafted (off your list and likely). I"m sure there are younger guys that can develop into that type of player so it is hard to know at this time. Sims has the raw talent but he has a lot to learn/develop.

Ryan Johnson?

This will likely be the 5th straight year with no Jackets drafted (outside of Butker and a Collins transfer). That is not normal for GT and is a reflection of the talent level on the Johnson teams starting about 2015.

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
When the one responsible for “EqUaLiZiNg” your game is gone, the clock struck midnight for our Cinderellas and the Wreck turned back into a pumpkin

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
Very few upper classmen look NFL caliber. Some from last year's recruiting class will definitely be drafted. Just because they didn't come in and displace guys who have been in a college S&C program for 3-5 years doesn't mean they won't be incredible players by the time they leave.

GTWannaBee

Dodd-Like
1. Gibbs
2. Antoneous Clayton???
3. Presley Harvin
4. Jordan Mason?

I went back and looked at our 2008 roster. We had no less than 8 NFL players (that doesn’t even include Nesbitt). I think we ended up having 10 or 11 make the league in some form from that year’s squad.

Honestly, do we have anyone that looks anything like a Michael Johnson or Derrick Morgan, Vance Walker, etc playing for us right now?
How many from that 2008 roster did CGC recruit?

Walton

Damn Good Rat
Just to expand on my comments: a while back, I looked at historical NFL drafts for most ACC teams. I didn't double check Clemson and FSU because I know they have players drafted regular.

Even teams at their worse tended to average 1 player drafted a year. Historically, GT had a NFL player drafted every year with maybe a single missed year now and then. A 4-5 year gap in this metric has never happened in modern GT history and for all ACC teams except Duke.

So that means that even Syracuse and Wake don't have gaps in their talent level that GT does.

I've always said that a program at GT needs 2-3 NFL caliber players per side of the ball to compete with the top teams. We don't currently have that (with game experience) and it is telling.

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Harvin
Mason
Gibbs
Sims—-dont laugh. He’s young. He will be good when he plays behind an OL

Flywheel

Wait, what year is it?
Franks, Dingle, Swilling, Meigiez, Akelo, Ryans, Brooks, Williams, Vaipulu, Sims, Gibbs, Brown, Harvin, Ivey, Rankins, Ward, Yondjouen, Mason, Ezzard, Clayton

Last edited:

BainbridgeJacket

F*** Joe Biden
I think it's too early to project anyone. A couple of the upper classmen will get practice squad opportunities, but won't stick. Gibbs looks likely, but we're a ways out from that. To address the OP, we're quite far from the time where 2 or 3 jackets were sticking in the NFL from each draft class. If I'm not mistaken, Darren Waller may be our most recent successful player on the next level and even that is a bit of a comeback story.

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
All four of our RB's have a chance. They are uniquely different and when healthy have game.

My guess is Clayton is not 100% so it's hard to say. The best guess on DL is Domineck right now.

I would definitely say that Juanyeh has a good chance and a year or two ago, Tariq. Sometimes we just don't know what's going on back there, who's trying to cover for other mistakes, etc. Trey Swiling may be less than 100% too and he might get a look. And athletic smaller fast nickel backs are needed so you never know with others.

Harvin is not consistent enough.

Williams is the most likely to make it based on his freshman season.

Brown is definite.

Chimedza and Ryans may get a chance down the road.