How Many Really Believe

Big Buck

Flats Noob
That Tech will win one game out of the three bullies,NC STATE,FLA ST, or Ga. and tell me why you think we will? Will it be superior coaching,
team jelling etc.

Personally, It is possible to beat NCSU, but not probable. The matchup is to our disadvantage.

Rivers is the best QB around at dumping the short passes. He has an unorthodox delivery, but is very effective. Since Tenuta's defense is the worst in the world against the short pass, River's should set the all-time record for completions against us.

There is really no reason for them to use the new phenom tailback (McClendon). All they need to do is forget the run and just pass against us. Tenuta will never recover.

Also, I thought I heard the TV announcers say NCSU has the best defense in the conference, and we play in their house. Seems like they are leading the league in scoring as well. All of this does not bode well for us.

I would like to see us win, but it does not look good. By the way, I feel most of the football analysts will predict NCSU to beat us. I know this is not popular, but it is an honest appraisal of the game.

pat.gif

Ahsoisee,
I agree, we have been very vunerable to the pass all year (and last year as well). A team with a quarterback with a quick release and a few good receivers can eat us alive.

If Virginia hadn't gotten greedy and thrown the interseption they could have marched right on down the field with time to spare. They were nicking us for 5 to 10 yards on short passes coming off their left side. What was that, a delayed release or screen play?

I didn't see any screen, but it was a delayed release. Kim King kept saying we had to stop it, but I think the coaches were willing to let them eat a little clock and eventually make a mistake, which they did.

As I stated on an earlier thread, NC ST. did give up 341 passing yds to Duke (Adam Smith is currently 7th in the conference in passing) and barely eeked out a win 24-22. So they can be hurt; and to quote Arnie "If it bleeds, we can kill it."

One win over either FSU, NC State, or UGA would do wonders for this disappointing season. I would have to believe that it would also help with recruiting. Two or more wins out of the three would pay for the sins of the WF loss, and then some.
Just one win out of the 3, however, would at least give Tech fans something to be proud of, and help eliminate many doubts that some of us have.
BOO

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Personally, It is possible to beat NCSU, but not probable. The matchup is to our disadvantage.

Rivers is the best QB around at dumping the short passes. He has an unorthodox delivery, but is very effective. Since Tenuta's defense is the worst in the world against the short pass, River's should set the all-time record for completions against us.
pat.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">What would you prefer Tenuta call to stop the short pass? Many of you forget that we do not have a very good d-line right now and must blitz to bring consistent pressure on the QB. If not, the QB will have all day to find someone a lot deeper than a dump off pass. Simply put, without a consistent rush from the d-line, you have to take chances at getting to the QB. Do you send a safety and put the corner in one on one coverage? Or do you send a linebacker, and allow for underneath stuff to be available? We typically send our linebackers since they are clearly the best players we have on defense.

Further, Tenuta's defense that you like to criticize w/every post you make, held UVA to its season low in scoring. This does not mean that Tenuta is the best d-coordinator in the league, nor does it mean our defense is all universe, but give some credit where it is due. The defensive scheme held a good offensive team in check and gave us a chance to win.

I have no idea what will happen vs. NCSU, but if GT comes out for a full 60 minutes w/the effort and enthusiasm that we had in the first half against UVA, we'll have a shot to win in the 4th quarter.

Looks like BDG is back on the bandwagon. I was about to deem him "Beeware, Jr." after reading all his posts last week.

You asked, "what I would like Tenuta to do?".

I would like for him to mix it up and not let the offense have any idea as to the defense we will be bringing on each play.

For instance, since we have been giving up the short passes, it is obvious the opposition will take it until we stop it. Tenuta should have the DBs playing tight man-to-man at least on obvious passing downs to achieve a first down. The DBs should stay beside or in front of the receivers.

The QB will not be able to dump the ball early, and it gives the LBs, DTs, and DEs time to get to the QB. After we have used that defense for maybe four to seven plays, we can switch back to the zone for a period of time until they pick up on this arrangement. We then switch back to tight man-to-man.

It is a guessing game by the offense and defense. If the defense plays the loose zone all day, there is no guessing involved and the offense can eat up the defense. It must be a mixture of different coverages to make the offense unsure of itself. You cannot afford to let an offense have no pressure and help feed its positive emotions.

On both offense and defense, the prime idea is to keep the pressure on the opposition until it cracks. You cannot play a passive game and win consistently.

drinking.gif

Ahso, I share your concerns about stopping NC State's pass defense - I agree that the matchup is not in our favor.

As far as State's D being the best in the conference, I'm not convinced. Statisticly, they should be the best based on their lightweight schedule. Texas Tech is the best offense they've played so far and they gave up 48 points. We've struggled with the offense most of the year but we're far better than anyone else they've played barring T Tech. If we can minimize the mistakes and build on the progress we made in the UVa game our offense should give them some trouble.

FSU is our best chance for an upset, and it is important that we get the FSU monkey off our back before they realize that Rix does not have what it takes.

I would take a blowout loss to NC State to ensure an FSU win.

I hate Holt, but he is gone after this year and I'm throwing a going away party. Good riddance.

The one advantage we have against Rivers is that he's not very mobile. Our blitz packages have been pretty effective against quarterbacks who weren't running threats. I think the fact that we got at least some pressure on Shaub was a key in the UVa win.

We've got a chance against NC St. 'cuz they might be looking past us to Maryland in College Park.

NCSU is not that great guys. Their defense is undersized and not as fast as ours is. When DUke passes for darn near 400 yards on you that is a real problem. I look for them to have little pass rush against our OL as their DL is similar to UVA.

Tech wins this one and brings the Pack back to reality. Besides Rivers isn't very good when throwing off his back like he was last year
wink.gif

I am glad we won Saturday. Damn I needed that.

Best chance is against FSU. It will come down to if we can be man enough up front and tackle Jones and Minor.

I believe if we play 60 consecutive minutes of very good football we can win that one.

Did I say Minor? Whoa....I meant Maddox.

They are kind of similar.

KB is right.FSU is the best chance for win and we have to bust Jones in the chops and stop the run.Tough but possible.

Do we have enough talent (even with the injuries) to win our last four games?
YES.

Do we have enough coaching to win the last four games?
Probably not.

Can we win any of the last four games?
YES.

Can we win all of the last four games?
Probably not.

What are the keys to winning any or all of the last four games?
Coaching and attitude.

Will we get the proper coaching?
Let us hope (but don't hold your breath).

Back