How to beat UGA...

bobby dodds ghost

Damn Good Rat
This game is winnable, in the same way that the FSU game was winnable, (only slightly harder due to it being an away game and UGA being slightly better than FSU). Here are the keys to victory:
Defense plays like it has for the last few weeks. Keep the ball away from UGA's offense. Create turnovers. UGA MUST give us the ball more than we give it to them (and unfortunately, we will give it to them 2 or 3 times).
Offense must have at least a 2 score lead at halftime. UGA's a second half team, and we are not. Their superior depth will become a factor, like it always does against Tech. Play calling MUST be new and surprising. Bilbo needs to have "special" plays just for this game (no draws on 2nd down). His use, however limited, will throw UGA off in their gameplan just enough to possible get 1 or 2 scores.
Suggs must not kill us with interceptions. The coaching staff must THINK before calling a play that has high Suggs F-up potential. But, no matter what is called, expect Suggs to make his usual mistakes. Don't panic as a team when they happen, just relax and take them, the team has had plenty of practice by now with QB damage control.
Don't take unnecessary risks. A field goal is better than forcing a play for a TD. The defense will get the ball back.
Hopefully UGA will be looking ahead and getting a bad case of big-head. They are the superior team with a confident and effective coaching staff.
This game will be a very tough one to win. Luck and control will have to be on our sideline to win.
BOO

We've _almost_ certainly got the time of possesion locked, we've
owned.gif
teams in that the past few weeks. Good post BDG!

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:

Suggs must not kill us with interceptions. The coaching staff must THINK before calling a play that has high Suggs F-up potential. But, no matter what is called, expect Suggs to make his usual mistakes. Don't panic as a team when they happen, just relax and take them, the team has had plenty of practice by now with QB damage control.
BOO
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">It is truly pathetic that we have to make such statements about our QB play before the biggest game of the year. Regretably you are correct Ghost.

I'm not saying Suggs is going to do anything. He shocked us all against Virginia and NC State - why can't he do it against UGAg?

Virginia made no attempts to get to, or hurry our QB.
NC State, it now appears,was over-rated. They are a middle-of-the-pack team like us.
Do not confuse UGA with either of these teams.
BOO

I'm not confusing them, but I'm saying that we played very well against them. And I can't blam NC State for this little skid of theirs. We stopped their possibilities of a 10-0 record, and an ACC championship, and we did it in their house. This is a team that beat Clemson sensless, Clemson who beat us. ANYBODY CAN BEAT ANYBODY ON ANY GIVEN DAY.

Originally posted by The Jacket:
This is a team that beat Clemson sensless, Clemson who beat us. ANYBODY CAN BEAT ANYBODY ON ANY GIVEN DAY.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Is 31-28 really considered being beat senseless.

Ghost, I agree. In order to win, we need improved clock management. Our defense will do their part - I have total confidence in Tenuta. The offense must control the clock. The kicking game will be about even, but the true test will be a close game at the end. Gailey must coach our players to win and do it almost recklessly, not have our DB's sit back with "keep it front mentality" or let's run the clock down and put pressure on our defense. One key will be how we do in the red zone - earlier in the year we had a much higher hit rate, and Georgia's defense is keeping people out in the red zone. We cannot afford dumb throws or predictable plays like three straight fades.

To win this, we need to allow someone to emerge - perhaps Ace? A big back would give us an added punch along with Clinkscale. Perhaps Bilbo? I guess I'm dreaming there. The offensive line needs to bow their necks and control the ball, but BOB will need to pull out all the stops with some new looks - we do that BS like we did vs. Duke (option with Suggs, Smith in the shotgun, etc.) this will get ugly.

Emotion and just 'wanting to win this one so bad' will not be enough for GT. Unless the coachs have one up their sleeve, well...

This reminds me of the 1990 game, uga in the first half put a good fight based on emotion and stayed in the game, but the second half, GT just steamrolled 'em on the basis of being an overall superior team. The roles for 11/30/02 seem reversed from 1990.

I hope GT can take the few breaks that will occur to keep it close, otherwise, f*** uga, let's focus on recruits and the spring.

Back